Too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Baja_Blast

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a new M4, and up until now I have been committed to another specialty. Recently I have been getting some exposure to orthopedics and have been starting to consider it. I have the ability to schedule an orthopedic elective from mid August to mid Sept, but I have yet to do so. Just wondering how I realistically stand at this point as I have been reading some contradictory information.

Step 1 273, step 2 TBD, Honors in all M3 clerkships, have research but not in ortho, probably won't be doing any aways at this late in the game. Don't know any orthopedic faculty and would have to obtain all LORs from the one rotation I could schedule.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Do aways and get ortho letters, or take a year off and do aways. You have a strong app and should match well if you can get out there to a few good programs and prove you're a hard worker

Hi thank you for the response. Are away rotations actually still available this late in the season? Also what percent of people match at programs they didn't do an away at? Any anecdotes would be appreciated!

Thank you guys!

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to find out if programs have any spots open, get in touch with the program coordinators

I personally matched at an away but I know a good bit of people that matched at places they didn't rotate. Aways can go the other way; I know people who shot themselves in the foot and didn't get interviews at places they rotated. You may also go somewhere and hate it. It happens. Some places are very cut throat about interviewing rotators, and you can be a stellar applicant and still get shut out. Assuming you've got the boxes checked, being a hardworking, normal person who fits in goes a long way in this field.