too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shields8

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a difficult position trying to deciede if I should apply.

Is it too late to apply to IM categorical positions now? How seriously late is it to initiate the process?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'll preface this by saying I'm just another applicant, so I don't really know any more than you do, but I think you're pretty late to apply. Most people at this point already have at least a half a dozen interviews, and interview dates are getting filled up. Although from what I hear, a lot of interview offers are made in early November as well. Plus, honestly, it looks bad to apply late, like you're disorganized and don't have your **** together. Can I ask why you're applying so late?

I would go ahead and apply. You have nothing to lose! Plus, the deadlines for many programs are mid-November. Good luck! Hope to see you on the IM trail. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
better late than never. you should put in your applications if you haven't missed the deadlines. you may not get the best choice of interview dates, but applying late would be more pleasant than scrambling or trying to figure out what to do for a year off.

I think you should apply. Many programs have deadlines in November and December and the cost of applying is not that much so better late than not and having to scramble for a position.
Of course, it's going to depend on how competitive your application is for a particular program since they would have already received several applications and offered a lot of interviews by the time they get your application. You should check FREIDA online or the websites for the programs you are thinking about applying to get their deadlines.

I disagree with the poster below. Jennie, there are a lot of places which have not even offered interviews yet if you look at the interview thread. I have yet to see anyone mention a Baylor, MGH, or BWH interview to name a few. And only one JHU interview. Also, most places still have interview dates -- just fewer choices. Third of all, I think it is presumptious to assume that people would infer a later application as being an indication that someone is organized. There are plenty of people who are just not as confident with their decision and want to try out other things. I would say you should try to get the completed application out in the next 2 days because I think this week and next will be prime time for the majority of schools.

I'll preface this by saying I'm just another applicant, so I don't really know any more than you do, but I think you're pretty late to apply. Most people at this point already have at least a half a dozen interviews, and interview dates are getting filled up. Although from what I hear, a lot of interview offers are made in early November as well. Plus, honestly, it looks bad to apply late, like you're disorganized and don't have your **** together. Can I ask why you're applying so late?