Too Little Too Late?!?!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Tickles

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Applied on September 8th & Verified on the 28th
2. 30 MCAT, 3.4 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA(Attend top-tier university)-Bio/Psych major
3. Research since sophomore year (recently published), SGA senator, loads of volunteer work (AmeriCorps scholar), shadowing/internships (surgery - all sub-specialties, neonatology, peds, ER, IR, physical medicine, etc.) 2000+ hours (father is physician, and that's a big reason why I had so many opportunities for clinical exposure).
4. Applied to 6 DO and 8 MD - I listed the schools, dates I sent in secondary, and what my status currently is. How do you think I'll end up doing.

My dad is an allopath and insisted that I should apply to both allopathic schools as well as osteopathic. Although, after attending PCOM's open house this past weekend, he's a believer that osteopath may provide more clinical skills than he received at UF... which he thought would be useful from his perspective as a primary care physician (peds).

Received secondaries from all six, as follows:
(10/6) LECOM - "Your secondary application is under review."
(10/7) PCOM - In transit
(10/7) OU-COM - In transit
(10/11) UMDNJ - In transit
(10/18) MSUCOM - In transit
(10/19) NYCOM - "Your supplemental application is now complete."

My premed committee is still working on my composite letter. So everything should be in the next week, or so. Hopefully I'll get some love from these adcoms soon.

Here's how the allopaths are treating me...
(9/15) PSU/Hershey - need LORs to complete secondary.
(9/10) Marshall -need LORs to complete secondary.
(10/8) Pitt - need LORs to complete secondary.
(10/11) Temple - Secondary "Verified."
(10/12) Jeff - need LORs to complete secondary.
(10/9) TCMC - need LORs to complete secondary.
(10/19) WVU - REJECTED after primary app; didn't meet the OOS min. 3.5/30.
Still waiting on Drexel...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think your stats are good enough at least for a DO acceptance, but it is getting late and I'm not sure how that will impact your application.

I think your stats are good enough at least for a DO acceptance, but it is getting late and I'm not sure how that will impact your application.

Yeah, I figured that the tardiness of my app would ultimately kill my chances at several places. Although, I think it is going to be more of a problem with the allopathic schools, due to their earlier deadlines, etc. So far I've met with adcoms from PCOM, LECOM, and PSU-COM during preview days and open houses... and was most impressed by PCOM, thus far.

What schools do you think I'll have a realistic shot at?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I figured that the tardiness of my app would ultimately kill my chances at several places. Although, I think it is going to be more of a problem with the allopathic schools, due to their earlier deadlines, etc. So far I've met with adcoms from PCOM, LECOM, and PSU-COM during preview days and open houses... and was most impressed by PCOM, thus far.

What schools do you think I'll have a realistic shot at?

Your ECs are pretty good and your MCAT is sufficient for most of the schools you applied to (excluding Pitt). Your GPA is your main issue. Are you a senior? Upward trend of your GPA? It's very possible to correct your GPA issue by taking 1-2 years off (allowing your senior grades to count, doing a post-bacc, etc.). This would make you a much more desirable candidate for allopathic schools. Even though your GPA, from what I've heard, is below average for DO schools, I believe your MCAT is above average, so I think you have a good shot at DO schools. If you don't get in this cycle, a large factor may be that your application is late, which also would be easily correctable during the next cycle.

Your ECs are pretty good and your MCAT is sufficient for most of the schools you applied to (excluding Pitt). Your GPA is your main issue. Are you a senior? Upward trend of your GPA? It's very possible to correct your GPA issue by taking 1-2 years off (allowing your senior grades to count, doing a post-bacc, etc.). This would make you a much more desirable candidate for allopathic schools. Even though your GPA, from what I've heard, is below average for DO schools, I believe your MCAT is above average, so I think you have a good shot at DO schools. If you don't get in this cycle, a large factor may be that your application is late, which also would be easily correctable during the next cycle.

I threw Pitt into the mix merely to appease my girlfriend. I am a senior, and my GPA is in an upward trend - Freshman (3.2 GPA and 3.0 sGPA), Sophomore (3.3 GPA and 3.2 sGPA), and Junior (3.7 GPA and 3.6 sGPA). This semester I should be able to pull off a 3.9 GPA and a 3.8 sGPA. I forgot to mention that my LORs are very strong and that I am a PA resident. I am trying to avoid having to apply again... osteopath vs allopath isn't so much of an issue for me. I just want to start med school ASAP, and hopefully avoid going into a post-bacc program, etc. What do you think the probability is that I'll get an acceptance from either an osteopathic or an allopathic school?

I agree. Why did you wait so long before you submitted your apps?

I had many things that were pending before September, that I was not able to list on my app before the end of August (e.g., 14-week Surgical Internship, University Community-Engagement Scholar, etc.). I thought listing said items in my primary was more important than submitting it a month earlier. I foolishly thought waiting an extra month to submit my app wouldn't hurt me as much as I know it will now.

Despite the lateness of LORs being sent out, from what we know of you, I still think you have a good chance of a DO acceptance this cycle.

If I am lucky enough to get a couple of interviews, I truly believe that I would impress adcoms, and have a good shot at admittance. From what I've read, PCOM & LECOM seem to be my best bet, and allopathic schools are probably not happening... which I am at peace with. LECOM seems to offer interviews before receiving LORs and began reviewing my secondary three weeks ago. So hopefully I'll hear from them soon... offering me an interview :D

Of the osteopathic schools I applied to, which do you think I have the best chance of interviewing at?

Just got an interview invitation from LECOM this morning. Maybe I'll be able to redeem myself from my application tardiness, and matriculate next year after all.

Congrats!

Thanks Catalystik! I really appreciate your encouragement, especially since reading you're one of the best "chancers" of SDN. Hopefully I'll receive a few more interviews in addition to LECOM, which will make February 4th a little less stressful... Any advice for me at this point in the application cycle?

1) Be patient and try to think calmer thoughts when you start to dwell on the lateness of that committee letter (hears sound of gnashing teeth).
2) Keep that upward grade trend going up higher.
3) Maintain your ECs, or even add new ones if you wish.
4) Send in periodic update letters to advise schools of recent grades and coursework, EC augmentations, and why their school is perfect for you. Here is a possible format: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=10245229

1) Be patient and try to think calmer thoughts when you start to dwell on the lateness of that committee letter (hears sound of gnashing teeth).
2) Keep that upward grade trend going up higher.
3) Maintain your ECs, or even add new ones if you wish.
4) Send in periodic update letters to advise schools of recent grades and coursework, EC augmentations, and why their school is perfect for you. Here is a possible format: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=10245229

Thanks for the help. I guess I'm lucky that LECOM doesn't require letters before offering interviews. I just got a phone call yesterday notifying that my school wants to do a highlight article of me for the university newsletter (involving my volunteer work as a "community-engagement scholar," etc.). Once they publish it, is this something I should plan on sending to prospective schools (either in print or electronic format), and possibly incorporating it into an update letter?

I would suggest you not send a physical copy, rather include the link in an update email. For any interviews, you might bring a copy and ask that it be added to your file.

Sounds like a plan. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.