Too many lender options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LiterofCola

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this will get moved to fin aid but since no one ever looks there I’m throwing it up here first

Does anyone have recommendations on what lender to use if I am only planning on taking out the subsidized Stafford loans? (my wife makes enough to cover most of our living expenses so I’m going to try to avoid the unsub this year)

I know medloans is a popular choice but I wouldn’t benefit from the “0.3% reduction for unsubsidized loans during school” so I was thinking I should look for a lender that offers more incentives after graduation.

Please any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's been mentioned manys a time but...Northstar/T.H.E. is a pretty good company. I wanted to go with them actually but my school only allows direct loans from the government so I'm stuck with an origination fee and whatnot.

Northstar is just straight up 1.3% off after graduation and they're pretty forgiving about it too (whereas with other lenders you can fairly easily lose benefits). Plus customer service has always been great, even if you're calling up to tel them you can't use them as your lender, lol.

I think it's been mentioned manys a time but...Northstar/T.H.E. is a pretty good company. I wanted to go with them actually but my school only allows direct loans from the government so I'm stuck with an origination fee and whatnot.

Northstar is just straight up 1.3% off after graduation and they're pretty forgiving about it too (whereas with other lenders you can fairly easily lose benefits). Plus customer service has always been great, even if you're calling up to tel them you can't use them as your lender, lol.

Thanks for the advice. I have noticed THE is really popular around here so I will check them out.

No one else????

From the way the fin aid forum moves it seems like most people aren't very interested in discussing this type of stuff. I really hate dealing with all the fin aid myself. I was a business major for awhile in college and I hated it which is part of the reason medicine was appealing to me, I thought I could avoid spending hours calculating the outcomes of different interest rates and other accounting/finance related tasks but I guess that's life.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would heavily consider "graduate leverage"- you receive your benefits up front at disbursement, and even if you never consolidate in the end it's a great rate. You don't lose your benefits until you default (if you miss your payments for months)- not just one month. I would check it out, good luck!