This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fk1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a Canadian planning on applying to US DO schools this year. But I am really worried due to the tuition costs!!

I know people get provincial loans (osap) + bank loans + family contributions but is it possible to get multiple government loans like osap + federal loan + bank loan? Because my parents have low incomes and do not have anything saved up to contribute towards any further schooling as they could not even help during my undergrad.

Can someone please let me know if this is an options to get more than 1 government loan along with LOC/bank loan??

Also, what are some DO schools with the cheapest tuition that accept Canadians? & ones that offer scholarships for Canadians/International students??

Thank you. I appreciate any feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you can get multiple government loans, although I'm not from Ontario so I don't know how OSAP works. The maximum for one student line of credit from a Canadian bank is typically $250,000-275,000 CAD, but if your cosigner has strong credit and/or has a high income, they may be willing to make exceptions and increase your amount (but not by that much). Federal loans from the US are only available to international students who have a US resident cosigner. And most medical schools do not offer any federal or institutional aid to international students. I would recommend only applying to schools that you know you would be able to afford somehow. DO schools that accept Canadians and on the cheaper side include: KCUCOM (around 45k), William Carey (39k), TCOM (34k), Liberty (50k), LMU (49k), Touro-COM NY (52k), Western COMP (56k), UNECOM (56k), NSUCOM (58k). A lot of people might also tell you to apply to MSUCOM, but even with the Canadian scholarship, tuition alone is still 67k/year, so consider whether or not you can afford that. However the schools that I listed should be doable with a 275k CAD (~215k USD) bank loan, provided you have some personal savings and/or family contributions to cover rent, food, books, and other living expenses. I hope this helps. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Wayne State School of Medicine (MD) is relatively friendly to Canadians. They are considered out of state for tuition purposes. It's not cheap though M1 tuition is 59.5k and goes up from there.