Too much for Spring Semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phillyfan49

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, I am in a bit of a dilemma. Since I transferred schools after my sophomore year, I am a tad behind, so my advisor recommended 5 classes, which are:
1) Nutrition
2) Human Genetics
3) Cell bio w/ lab
4) A&P 2 w/ lab
5) Abnormal Pysch

I am not so much concerned about the # of classes, but I am concerned about the quality of the classes. I took A&P 1 and it took a ton of study time, (I got an A but busted my butt) and A&P 2 is with the same teacher, so that won't change. I heard human genetics is a killer as well. I talked to my A&P teacher whom I am very close with, and she told me I should leave out Nutrition of genetics, as those 5 classes would be very rough. I am leaning towards doing that as well. My advisor told me that 5 classes was gonna be tough, but "it would be just like grad school." That quote scares me haha. Anyways, what do you guys think? I'm thinking take 4, as getting good grades matters most, and I can try to find a summer class and work that around an internship and a job.

Any Advice??

Members don't see this ad.

Do what you feel is best for you. Why are you rushing? Let's say you do take those classes and get C's then you'll have to spend more time and money to retake those classes. Just bc it may seem like it's grad school doesn't mean it's beneficial for you right now. I suggest substituting another class or dropping one of the ones listed above.

Hope this helps

Drop nutrition or genetics. You need good grades to get into graduate school but you don't necessarily need the best grades to stay in school. Yes that course load looks similar to the course load of PT school, but your main concern should be getting the best grades possible, not mimicking the demands of PT school. I took two or three classes at a time while earning my pre-requisites and I'm doing fine in PT school.

Kevin

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definitely consider dropping one of those classes. I took many difficult classes at one time thinking I could "handle it." But unfortunately that plan backfired. I ended up messing up in classes that are extremely important for PT school and I'll probably have to retake them after I get my degree. Don't be in a rush to graduate with your bachelor's degree just because you want to get out and go onto PT school. You have to make the best grades right now in order to get into PT school. If you can, drop a hard class and take an easy class so it balances out your workload.

Yea I would drop nutrition and genetics if they are not requirements for your major and replace them with classes where you could get easy A`s such as jogging and weight lifting to boost your GPA..if your school offers activity classes.

@phillyfan49

Seems like you're in the same boat as me. I was trying to rush everything, worried about going straight into grad school once I graduate. But, I realized that it would hinder my GPA and make me even more stressed to do that. It was really stressful and I've accepted that I'll be taking off a year once I graduate this Spring. But with working and continuing courses. I'm in my last semester in undergrad but I have to retake Chem 2. I'm actually not sure if I should retake it at the University to help my GPA for the university or retake it at a CC over summer because its cheaper. What do ya think? And in your case, I would also probably take it "easy" on the courses with dropping genetics, nutrition shouldn't be too much on ya, but definitely consider those two to drop.

I'm actually taking A&P1 and abnormal psych along with exercise physiology this coming spring semester also

@rl91

Check on PTCAS if the schools that you are applying to require that you take chem 2 at a university. If they do not, then DEFINITELY take it a CC...it will most likely be easier and you will save $$. And it will still have the same effect on your pre-req GPA, doesnt matter where you take it.

@PTmattl

Thank you! Yeah, I honestly was in this situation when I was trying to see if I should apply but I went ahead and took the step to take it slow and space it out. I decided to wait a year to apply for the next cycle, which I honestly didn't want to do but it only seemed ideal at the moment. But, with that in consideration, I might just take Chem over at a CC after I graduate and have that year off. I plan on applying to TWU, UNTHSC, Texas State, and maybe UTSW.

I would drop nutrition, because:

Many PT schools do not require it
A good gpa is placed above an intense course load (whether its the right thing to do or not) by PT schools when they look at your app

I took multiple quarters of 20+ units, and although I was able to challenge myself academically, it did nothing to help my app for PT school.