Aphasic

Jan 28, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So my school's pediatric clerkship has a lot of assignments, we have little cards that we have to get signed off on every half-day of clinic, 3 observed H&Ps, 4 H&Ps typed up and turned in, plus computer cases, quizzes, an oral exam, and, of course, the shelf.

Do other schools do this too? Or am I justified in my crankiness?

I should also mention that Peds is definitely not for me, which makes all the homework so much more painful. :mad:

chanjurban

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2004
St. Louis
Status
So my school's pediatric clerkship has a lot of assignments, we have little cards that we have to get signed off on every half-day of clinic, 3 observed H&Ps, 4 H&Ps typed up and turned in, plus computer cases, quizzes, an oral exam, and, of course, the shelf.

Do other schools do this too? Or am I justified in my crankiness?

I should also mention that Peds is definitely not for me, which makes all the homework so much more painful. :mad:
Well, my school does this - but I have a feeling that you are at my school. Honestly, I hated all the hoops we had to jump through too, but I felt like the peds rotation was probably one of the best taught rotations all year. I felt like at the end, most of us had a pretty good ground of medical knowledge in pediatrics. I felt that in some of the other rotations, education was very hit-or-miss depending on what type of patients you happened to have and who your attendings and residents were. This may mean less to you if you're not interested in peds, but may actually make you a better clinician just for having at least one well-learned area of primary care.

Depakote

Pediatric Anesthesiologist
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
SOCMOB
Status
Attending Physician
It really depends on the rotation at my school...

During IM, I had to write a case report every day for ambulatory IM, then I had to give 3 group presentations during the month of my shelf including a 90 min presentation in front of the Dept Chairman (this was during an inpt month)... on top of that, the volume of didactics was pretty excessive. But most of my other clerkships have been pretty reasonable thus far.

kyley3k

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
During IM, I had to write a case report every day for ambulatory IM, then I had to give 3 group presentations during the month of my shelf including a 90 min presentation in front of the Dept Chairman (this was during an inpt month)... on top of that, the volume of didactics was pretty excessive. But most of my other clerkships have been pretty reasonable thus far.
Wow... I mean, that's all pretty unreasonable... but case reports for ambulatory? I mean, that's when you're supposed to be able to take it easy... and 90 min? I mean, visiting professors usually only take 45 w/ room for questions. Who was your attending, the fuhrer?