Too much volunteer work??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eroh27

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I had a question regarding volunteering and applying to the post-bacc programs and eventually med school. (I will be applying to post-bacc programs next year) I just received a position at a hospital sterilizing medical equipment and it sounds extremely interesting to me. I was thinking about also volunteering for a food bank once a week. This might sound like a weird question but is there too much volunteering or does it look bad to do it at so many places? I want to be able to provide for others, especially in such a difficult time, but applications involve a lot of perception and do not want to come off as trying "stat-padding" when it comes to my application. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

From what I have been told by many advisors is that there is never "too much volunteering." There isn't a minimum or maximum, just do what makes you happy and what you enjoy. If you want to volunteer at a food bank because you enjoy it then go ahead but don't worry about whether it will make it look like you are trying to "stat-pad." Chances are at an interview they will ask you about the experience and you talking about how much you enjoyed it will show that you weren't just doing it for the hours. good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think two places over the course of many months/a year + is stat-pad style. If you were volunteering at several places sequentially for only a few hours where you'd expect more long-term efforts, that would look like an inability to commit. It's sort of like jobs: switching around a lot can raise questions.

While it's important to look for what's the weak part of your application, part of filling that is having experiences that fill the experiential gaps you need to help make the decision to become a physician.

Some things you're trying to communicate with your volunteer experience are that you're consistent, reliable, and have been somewhere long enough to learn about it and learn from the experience. The things you signed up for sound good, particularly if you like them and find them enriching. Like @reconartist said, do what makes you happy and what you enjoy. You're more likely to get more out of it and more likely to stick with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Volunteering is a personal choice and should come from the heart and be enjoyed. Working in SPD could get your foot in the door so to speak and get you working in the operating room which would be fantastic experience on an application and CV.

I volunteered with many different organizations over the years. Teaching children, hospital work. When I applied to medical schools, they were impressed with my volunteer records. Do what you like but be sure to add some health care related activities.