Too Old For PharmD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ScoobyDubeDoo

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am 35 years old and am interested in going to PharmD School. I have a bachelors degree in chemistry. My grades were ok, I graduated with a 3.2 GPA. Am I too old for PharmD School? For those "nontraditional PharmD students", what are some obstacles you are currently facing and are going to face once you graduate? My biggest fear is graduating from PharmD School and not being able to find a job because of my age. If someone can give me some insight I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
 
Last edited:
You're only too old if you're dead. Otherwise, go for it. One dean at a pharm school I talked to said the one of the guys in a recent class of Pharm.D. graduates was 55 years old. I think there's something to be said for someone who has the determination to go through with a program at a "non-traditional" age, so I'm sure you could find a job. Pharmacy is a lot bigger than retail and hospitals.
 
nope. i've heard of a 61 year old woman who went to pharmacy school and graduated at 65. so i wouldn't say you're too old. you might be older than most of your class mates, but 35 isn't too old.

i know one guy in my class who got his PhD in may and started pharmacy school in august. so it's not too late if you can apply and get accepted.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know a pharmacy manager at one of the highest volume CVS in my area who's a bit over 40. He graduated about 3 years ago.
 
I am 35 years old and am interested in going to PharmD School. I have a bachelors degree in chemistry. My grades were ok, I graduated with a 3.2 GPA. Am I too old for PharmD School? For those "nontraditional PharmD students", what some obstacles you are currently facing and are going to face once you graduate? My biggest fear is graduating from PharmD School and not being able to find a job because of my age. If someone can give me some insight I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

I know someone with a BS in chem who is much older than you and has been working in industry for many yrs.

Age discrimination is a reality in industry.

But methinks that as long as you have a PharmD and license to practice, you'll find a job (and if you don't, it's likely not because of your age).

If that is all that is holding you back, then there is nothing to fear...go for it.

I would think that a 35 yo may want to think about tuition costs, opportunity cost, family reasons, lifestyle changes, etc. But you really should not be hesitant because of not finding a job due to your age.
 
You are NEVER too old to go back to school. As long as you have the heart for it, you can do it. Good luck. Pharmacy is a growing industry. I doubt there will be a lack of job offerings for anyone who looks hard enough.

As for me, I am a non-traditional applicant. Currently I work as an RN and I am a full-time student. I'm married with a baby boy on the way, so everything is changing quickly. My primary concern is my gpa (~2.953). I hope the ad coms can look beyond that and give me a shot! Either way, I won't quit until I get in, and neither should you.
 
I am 35 years old and am interested in going to PharmD School. I have a bachelors degree in chemistry. My grades were ok, I graduated with a 3.2 GPA. Am I too old for PharmD School? For those "nontraditional PharmD students", what some obstacles you are currently facing and are going to face once you graduate? My biggest fear is graduating from PharmD School and not being able to find a job because of my age. If someone can give me some insight I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Hey Scooby, I am 38 years old, had a similar undergrad GPA, and will be attending pharmacy school next year (assuming I can get in! I will be doing three interviews this month :xf:). You are certainly not too old.

The biggest obstacles I faced when deciding to change careers were (1) money (I had to work full-time while completing my prereqs), (2) re-adjusting to life in school, but that didn't take too long and (3) You will also have to make personal sacrifices (i.e., not having much of a social life -- but that's true of any serious pre-pharm student who's working and going to school full-time, regardless of age.

Bottom line is, if you're sure you want to become a pharmacist, go for it. Get involved, study hard, and research the profession. Good :luck:!
 
Scoobydube,

Absolutely not! My parents always taught me it is never too late to go after your dreams. For example, my mom didn't find her dream job until she was 40 and she is now 46 and is loving every minute of it! As far as finding a position once you graduate, just be prepared to move to where the need is great and you'll be fine. Go for it!😀
 
I completely agree. I am 30 and if I get accepted I'll be 31 years old starting a PharmD program. I'll graduate when I am 34 from the 3-year program.

Scoobydube,

Absolutely not! My parents always taught me it is never too late to go after your dreams. For example, my mom didn't find her dream job until she was 40 and she is now 46 and is loving every minute of it! As far as finding a position once you graduate, just be prepared to move to where the need is great and you'll be fine. Go for it!😀
 
I wouldn't say you're too old but, as I've said elsewhere, I'm 24 with my B.S. in microbiology, and I'd be breaking even or losing money by going to pharmacy school at say, ~32 years of age. It might be even more of an issue with yourself, given your work experience in the field, i.e. the salary jump isn't nearly as big.

As ever, this isn't meant to discourage people who think they will be significantly happier by being a pharmacist, but is your career that bad, and pharmacy so awesome? Also, some people mention working full time and attending pharmacy school: that's four pretty rough years, right there. Is it worth it, for a decrease in your life-time earnings?

Maybe it is, it depends on your motivation. Are you doing this because you love pharmacy, or are you doing it for the money and/or just to get a higher degree? (Since another one of my pet peeves is "inefficient" college degrees. Not that an educated populace is a bad thing, mind you.)
 
lol not too old at all....i know a guy whose 56 and just started taking his pre-req classes for pharm school.
 
I'm 28 and will be 32 when I graduate. I think the average age for my class is around 26 so I don't think you're too old.

The problem you may run into is having your prereqs accepted since I'm assuming you graduated 10+ years ago? That may provide you with a speed bump on your way.
 
A pharmacist's job is quite quite long-lived. You pretty much have to equip yourself with good and current knowledge to stay on the edge.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am 35 years old and am interested in going to PharmD School. I have a bachelors degree in chemistry. My grades were ok, I graduated with a 3.2 GPA. Am I too old for PharmD School? For those "nontraditional PharmD students", what are some obstacles you are currently facing and are going to face once you graduate? My biggest fear is graduating from PharmD School and not being able to find a job because of my age. If someone can give me some insight I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Hi Scooby! You are awesome...we nearly have the same screen name and we're both oldies (me = 30 this past august).....You will do just great, go for it! We elderly folks can help eachother hobble along. 😉 Welcome to the boards, these guys are great. 😍
 
I'm elderly too! I don't think age discrimination will be as great for us as it will be for older Bpharms looking for a job in 10 years ...
 
Becoming a pharmacist shouldn't be strictly a money game, but I do agree nobody wants to do this job and go broke doing it. With that being said....

How do you figure you are breaking even? I have done this calculation before and I figured that I would have my loans paid off in 2 years after I did my residencies, and maybe even while I do my residency if I decide to pull some money out of my IRAs for educational expense (no penalty withdrawal). Granted you could make a lot more money than I currently do, but say if you made $60K per annum and pharmacy school costs $100K over the 3 years.

Then over three years you are $100K + 3x$60K or $280K in the hole.

So then based on years:
year: non-PharmD vs. PharmD (with residency)
0: $280K vs $0K (graduation)
1: $340K vs. $40K (PGY1 residency)
2: $400K vs. $80K (PGY2 residency)
3: $460K vs. $200K (going with $120K salary)
4. $540K vs. $320K
5. $600K vs. $440K
6. $660K vs. $560K
7. $780K vs. $680K
8. $840K vs. $800K
9. $900K vs. $920K

Now this is very elementary as it does not include raises, bonuses, or interest on loans but I did it this way because everyone's situation is different so they will have to amend it to their situation for the exact numbers. What you have to determine you age when you will graduate, add 10 years to that number and subtract from the age you are going to retire or want to retire. The answer is the number of years you will not be breaking even as a pharmacist. Then you can figure out how much money you will be making and if that number is satisfactory to you then do it, if not, then don't. Also, what if you decide not to do a residency? Then you pay it off sooner.

year: non-PharmD vs. PharmD (without residency)
0: $280K vs $0K (graduation)
1: $340K vs. $120K
2: $400K vs. $240K
3: $460K vs. $360K
4. $540K vs. $480K
5. $600K vs. $600K

Just food for thought.


I wouldn't say you're too old but, as I've said elsewhere, I'm 24 with my B.S. in microbiology, and I'd be breaking even or losing money by going to pharmacy school at say, ~32 years of age. It might be even more of an issue with yourself, given your work experience in the field, i.e. the salary jump isn't nearly as big.

As ever, this isn't meant to discourage people who think they will be significantly happier by being a pharmacist, but is your career that bad, and pharmacy so awesome? Also, some people mention working full time and attending pharmacy school: that's four pretty rough years, right there. Is it worth it, for a decrease in your life-time earnings?

Maybe it is, it depends on your motivation. Are you doing this because you love pharmacy, or are you doing it for the money and/or just to get a higher degree? (Since another one of my pet peeves is "inefficient" college degrees. Not that an educated populace is a bad thing, mind you.)
 
Becoming a pharmacist shouldn't be strictly a money game, but I do agree nobody wants to do this job and go broke doing it. With that being said....

How do you figure you are breaking even? I have done this calculation before and I figured that I would have my loans paid off in 2 years after I did my residencies, and maybe even while I do my residency if I decide to pull some money out of my IRAs for educational expense (no penalty withdrawal). Granted you could make a lot more money than I currently do, but say if you made $60K per annum and pharmacy school costs $100K over the 3 years.

Then over three years you are $100K + 3x$60K or $280K in the hole.

So then based on years:
year: non-PharmD vs. PharmD (with residency)
0: $280K vs $0K (graduation)
1: $340K vs. $40K (PGY1 residency)
2: $400K vs. $80K (PGY2 residency)
3: $460K vs. $200K (going with $120K salary)
4. $540K vs. $320K
5. $600K vs. $440K
6. $660K vs. $560K
7. $780K vs. $680K
8. $840K vs. $800K
9. $900K vs. $920K

Now this is very elementary as it does not include raises, bonuses, or interest on loans but I did it this way because everyone's situation is different so they will have to amend it to their situation for the exact numbers. What you have to determine you age when you will graduate, add 10 years to that number and subtract from the age you are going to retire or want to retire. The answer is the number of years you will not be breaking even as a pharmacist. Then you can figure out how much money you will be making and if that number is satisfactory to you then do it, if not, then don't. Also, what if you decide not to do a residency? Then you pay it off sooner.

year: non-PharmD vs. PharmD (without residency)
0: $280K vs $0K (graduation)
1: $340K vs. $120K
2: $400K vs. $240K
3: $460K vs. $360K
4. $540K vs. $480K
5. $600K vs. $600K

Just food for thought.

..... that of course assumes:
1) you are currently employed and haven't been downsized
2) you firmly believe that you will STAY employed and not have your job outsourced for the rest of your career

Maybe 20 years ago those would have held true, but probably not for too many ppl anymore.
 
So then based on years:
year: non-PharmD vs. PharmD (with residency)
0: $280K vs $0K (graduation)
1: $340K vs. $40K (PGY1 residency)
2: $400K vs. $80K (PGY2 residency)
3: $460K vs. $200K (going with $120K salary)
4. $540K vs. $320K
5. $600K vs. $440K
6. $660K vs. $560K
7. $780K vs. $680K
8. $840K vs. $800K
9. $900K vs. $920K
Props to Wes for taking the time out to do this, but his numbers are INCREDIBLY GENEROUS! Even if you do accept 120K as average (vrs. say, 100K, which I think is more accurate.)

He isn't including a huge factor: taxes. As a pharmacist, you're going to be taxed roughly 30%... depends on your state, obviously. So, that 120K shrinks to ~85K a year. If you're making 60K a year, your taxes would be what, 20%? That might be low, but let's say 48K. So, that 60K a year gap in wages shrinks to ~37K. If you're assuming 100K a year, that's 70K/year vrs. 48K/year... a 22K per year difference. So his estimates triple? when it comes to the break even point.

Raises are also a big deal: with a B.S. (or any other degree?), you can see your wages roughly double after 20 years of work experience. As a pharmacist, your wages based on experience are going to increase, what, 20%? 25%?

Also, making money off a Roth IRA or stocks is also a factor.

Money isn't everything, but since I am not a pharmacist, I can't tell you whether being one is the best thing since sliced bread.
 
Last edited:
It is very generous and the such, but lets look at the biggest factor of all. Cost of living in your area. $120K isn't much on coastal cities and it a freaking huge amount in the midwest. Also, I didn't factor in potential OT and the such if you want to do that type of thing. For a guy like me, it makes sense. It might not make sense for everybody. For me, where I live, Healthcare is king. And with my chemistry degree there are not that many top paying jobs here. There are a lot of top paying jobs in healthcare.

Also where I live, after my bonus my salary was about $45K before taxes working for a small specialty pharmaceutical company. Sure I could stick around there and get my 3% raise annually. They did have kickass benefits though. Problem is I live in Louisville, KY and I worked in Seymour, IN so that was 74 miles each way. When you drive about 55K miles per year and gas was $3+ per gallon, that is a lot of money wasting. And yes I drive a fuel efficient camry.



Props to Wes for taking the time out to do this, but his numbers are INCREDIBLY GENEROUS! Even if you do accept 120K as average (vrs. say, 100K, which I think is more accurate.)

He isn't including a huge factor: taxes. As a pharmacist, you're going to be taxed roughly 30%... depends on your state, obviously. So, that 120K shrinks to ~85K a year. If you're making 60K a year, your taxes would be what, 20%? That might be low, but let's say 48K. So, that 60K a year gap in wages shrinks to ~37K. If you're assuming 100K a year, that's 70K/year vrs. 48K/year... a 22K per year difference. So his estimates triple? when it comes to the break even point.

Raises are also a big deal: with a B.S. (or any other degree?), you can see your wages roughly double after 20 years of work experience. As a pharmacist, your wages based on experience are going to increase, what, 20%? 25%?

Also, making money off a Roth IRA or stocks is also a factor.

Money isn't everything, but since I am not a pharmacist, I can't tell you whether being one is the best thing since sliced bread.
 
Last edited:
I am 35 years old and am interested in going to PharmD School. I have a bachelors degree in chemistry. My grades were ok, I graduated with a 3.2 GPA. Am I too old for PharmD School? For those "nontraditional PharmD students", what are some obstacles you are currently facing and are going to face once you graduate? My biggest fear is graduating from PharmD School and not being able to find a job because of my age. If someone can give me some insight I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

well, considering there are 55, 56, 61 yr olds in pharm school[no, disrespect, just making a point ^ ^]? i'd say your in your prime 😀

good luck scooby!!!
 
Where you live is important, and the costs/benefits are going to be different for each person. 32 and single is different than 32 with a couple of 2-year-olds.
 
Completely.

I am 30, turning 31 in Novemeber, married with one son. The good thing for my family is we don't have a very lavish lifestyle, but we make good money so we have been able to pay off all of our debt minus the house. Depending on what the stock market continues to do while I am in school, I might tap into my IRA to help pay for school. If I go that route, we might be able to pay for 2 out of the 3 years of school for me, without completely wiping out our IRAs so it would be nice to graduate with my PharmD with only about $40K in debt.

Where you live is important, and the costs/benefits are going to be different for each person. 32 and single is different than 32 with a couple of 2-year-olds.
 
I just turned 40 and I'm a P1. I'm not even the oldest in my class. I thought it might be hard to make friends because I am older than most of my classmates but that wasn't a problem. Most of the people at my school come from out of state so they were looking for friends too. I did have to uproot my family to come here and we moved from a house to a cheap apartment. Moving backwards financially at my age is definitely not a fun thing to do but we are getting used to it. Balancing school and family life is a bit tricky. I don't get to spend as much time as I'd like with my family but I'd probably feel the same way if I worked full time. So far I'm pretty happy with my choice and my husband and daughter are really proud of me.

If you want to do this, go for it. Unless your school really does prefer the youngsters, there will be older students in school with you. Don't let your age hold you back.
 
" Depending on what the stock market continues to do while I am in school, I might tap into my IRA to help pay for school. If I go that route, we might be able to pay for 2 out of the 3 years of school for me, without completely wiping out our IRAs so it would be nice to graduate with my PharmD with only about $40K in debt."

I would talk to your financial planner - student loan interest is tax deductible and it might make a lot more sense to take the loan, especially if you can get a subsidized Stafford.
 
Props to Wes for taking the time out to do this, but his numbers are INCREDIBLY GENEROUS! Even if you do accept 120K as average (vrs. say, 100K, which I think is more accurate.)

He isn't including a huge factor: taxes. As a pharmacist, you're going to be taxed roughly 30%... depends on your state, obviously. So, that 120K shrinks to ~85K a year. If you're making 60K a year, your taxes would be what, 20%? That might be low, but let's say 48K. So, that 60K a year gap in wages shrinks to ~37K. If you're assuming 100K a year, that's 70K/year vrs. 48K/year... a 22K per year difference. So his estimates triple? when it comes to the break even point.

Raises are also a big deal: with a B.S. (or any other degree?), you can see your wages roughly double after 20 years of work experience. As a pharmacist, your wages based on experience are going to increase, what, 20%? 25%?


Also, making money off a Roth IRA or stocks is also a factor.

Money isn't everything, but since I am not a pharmacist, I can't tell you whether being one is the best thing since sliced bread.


True, but his debt estimate is also very high. I am planning on taking out ~80K for pharmacy school...100K AT MOST if I somehow mess up and couldn't maintain my GPA and keep my scholarship. So 280K is WAAAAAY too much to take out for ANYTHING (unless you are talking about a house or beach house)....even for a Med Student 280K is NOT worth taking out. A pharmacist will NEVER be able to pay a loan that big off. Any debt above 100K for a PharmD will mean that you are actually paying MORE than you are getting out. Paying 100K+ for a PharmD is like paying 80K for a used Honda Civic...it just doesn't make any sense and economically is a very bad move.
 
Last edited:
Completely.

I am 30, turning 31 in Novemeber, married with one son. The good thing for my family is we don't have a very lavish lifestyle, but we make good money so we have been able to pay off all of our debt minus the house. Depending on what the stock market continues to do while I am in school, I might tap into my IRA to help pay for school. If I go that route, we might be able to pay for 2 out of the 3 years of school for me, without completely wiping out our IRAs so it would be nice to graduate with my PharmD with only about $40K in debt.

Taking money out of your IRA is NEVER a good move...
 
Any age below 40 is not too old. OP you are fine.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
$280K is not school loan debt. $280K is arrived by paying $100K for school, and the program I am going into is a 3 year program and I make $60K per year so that would mean I am missing out on $60K per annum for 3 years or $180K. Add the two and viola, you are at $280K.

True, but his debt estimate is also very high. I am planning on taking out ~80K for pharmacy school...100K AT MOST if I somehow mess up and couldn't maintain my GPA and keep my scholarship. So 280K is WAAAAAY too much to take out for ANYTHING (unless you are talking about a house or beach house)....even for a Med Student 280K is NOT worth taking out. A pharmacist will NEVER be able to pay a loan that big off. Any debt above 100K for a PharmD will mean that you are actually paying MORE than you are getting out. Paying 100K+ for a PharmD is like paying 80K for a used Honda Civic...it just doesn't make any sense and economically is a very bad move.
 
Last edited:
Taking money out of your IRA is NEVER a good move...

Oh never say never. When your loan interest rate is more than what you are making in your IRA then it is a good idea, especially if you have already paid taxes on the money as in a Roth IRA.

I just sat down with my financial planner and went over several scenarios. I will agree that is is not the best idea but if it means not going into debt and I am still debt free or very low debt when I graduate then why not? Afterall, I will be able to pay off my low debt in a year and then can rebuild my nest egg (though structured differently) in a year or two after I pay off my debt and then just continue growing from there? Also keep in mind that I am married so we will still be contributing (my wife) to a 401K while I am doing this.
 
Last edited:
$280K is not school loan debt. $280K is arrived by paying $100K for school, and the program I am going into is a 3 year program and I make $60K per year so that would mean I am looking out on $60 per annum for 3 years or $180K. Add the two and viola, you are at $280K.


If you are already making 60K a year than as a pharmacist you will not be making much more...Pharmacist's take home salary (you forgot taxes!) is around 60K to 70K a year. So you are paying 100K for school to make the SAME thing as before??
 
If you are already making 60K a year than as a pharmacist you will not be making much more...Pharmacist's take home salary (you forgot taxes!) is around 60K to 70K a year. So you are paying 100K for school to make the SAME thing as before??


Also account for your tax bracket with your wife's income.
 
If you are already making 60K a year than as a pharmacist you will not be making much more...Pharmacist's take home salary (you forgot taxes!) is around 60K to 70K a year. So you are paying 100K for school to make the SAME thing as before??

Well I don't know about you, but my take home is a lot less than $60K. No amount of money will keep me in my current job of selling APIs to pharmaceutical manufacturing companies. And from my research which involves meeting with the head guy in charge of the pharmacy at several major hospitals here in Louisville, KY he said his pharmacists start out at about $110K right now which is almost double what I currently make.

The biggest thing for me isn't the money, it is finally being able to do a job that gives me self satisfaction. If a pharmacist made $50K a year, I would still do the job because it is what I want to do. I am able to impact someone's life in a way that I find to be interesting. Granted if a pharmacist made that, school would be a lot less expensive as well. Just sayin....
 
If a pharmacist made $50K a year, I would still do the job because it is what I want to do. I am able to impact someone's life in a way that I find to be interesting. Granted if a pharmacist made that, school would be a lot less expensive as well. Just sayin....


I would hope so! :laugh: I see some schools like USC's pricetag and wonder why on earth will someone pay that kind of price for a PharmD. Its almost worst than paying 80K for a used Honda Civic. Doesn't make much sense to me. :laugh:
 
I would hope so! :laugh: I see some schools like USC's pricetag and wonder why on earth will someone pay that kind of price for a PharmD. Its almost worst than paying 80K for a used Honda Civic. Doesn't make much sense to me. :laugh:

Now I mean this in the best possible way, but not much does.

😛

As far as tuition goes, Mercer is 14k a semester to USC's 18k a semester. While it would add up over time, I still don't see that as such a huge disparity such that you think you're doing so much better going to Mercer than USC. Now, if you paid 6k a semester, compared to USC's tuition, you could make such a statement... but since your tuition's not that much lower than USC's, I just don't think you have a leg to stand on there.
 
Now I mean this in the best possible way, but not much does.

😛

As far as tuition goes, Mercer is 14k a semester to USC's 18k a semester. While it would add up over time, I still don't see that as such a huge disparity such that you think you're doing so much better going to Mercer than USC. Now, if you paid 6k a semester, compared to USC's tuition, you could make such a statement... but since your tuition's not that much lower than USC's, I just don't think you have a leg to stand on there.


Mercer offered me a scholarship and I have free housing/food from family. So that makes up for it. LOL... but otherwise YES you are right😛 and I would NOT be doing pharmacy right now if it wasn't for that scholarship/family support (I would have otherwise picked a more profitable profession if it wasn't for my current situation).
 
Mercer offered me a scholarship and I have free housing/food from family. So that makes up for it. LOL... but otherwise YES you are right😛 and I would NOT be doing pharmacy right now if it wasn't for that scholarship/family support (I would have otherwise picked a more profitable profession if it wasn't for my current situation).


Is housing and food included in the "tuition" calculation for Mercer? Just curious.

USC also offers small scholarly stipends/scholarships, so I still don't think you've got any right to declare USC as inordinately "too expensive" when compared to your school of choice.
 
Is housing and food included in the "tuition" calculation for Mercer? Just curious.

USC also offers small scholarly stipends/scholarships, so I still don't think you've got any right to declare USC as inordinately "too expensive" when compared to your school of choice.

No, I wish! I took out 20K for my P1 year for tuition only. So I will be around 80K in the hole when I get out. Yeah that is a lot of money compare to my state school which is only 14K a year for tuition, but I would have to pay rent/food if I went there! So it "kinda" makes up for the difference. The point is paying more than 100K for a PharmD degree doesn't seem worth it. The degree then becomes more of an expense than an investment.
 
No, I wish! I took out 20K for my P1 year for tuition only. So I will be around 80K in the hole when I get out. Yeah that is a lot of money compare to my state school which is only 14K a year for tuition, but I would have to pay rent/food if I went there! So it "kinda" makes up for the difference. The point is paying more than 100K for a PharmD degree doesn't seem worth it. The degree then becomes more of an expense than an investment.

Laying aside the fact you get free room and board, your school is not really inexpensive. Deriding USC's tuition (18k) when yours is 14k seems incongruous.
 
Laying aside the fact you get free room and board, your school is not really inexpensive. Deriding USC's tuition (18k) when yours is 14k seems incongruous.

I guess I picked the wrong school to talk about. If you are a USC fan, I am sorry if I offended you. LOL... But you and I both know that there are pharmacy schools out there with outrageous pricetags and students that graduate from those schools will be hard pressed to pay those loans back. Maybe it's not USC, but its definetly 1/3 of the pharmacy schools out there and you know that too.

Mercer is very expensive and I would be foolish to take out more than 80K for my PharmD degree, but luckily I don't have to.

The point of this thread is to help the OP decided if pharmacy school is "worth" it for him. Especially since he is already 35. Cost is the main factor IMO and should be calculated before the OP waste anymore of his time.
 
Last edited:
I guess I picked the wrong school to talk about. If you are a USC fan, I am sorry if I offended you. LOL... But you and I both know that there are pharmacy schools out there with outrageous pricetags and students that graduate from those schools will be hard pressed to pay those loans back. Maybe it's not USC, but its definetly 1/3 of the pharmacy schools out there and you know that too.

Mercer is very expensive and I would be foolish to take out more than 80K for my PharmD degree, but luckily I don't have to.

The point of this thread is to help the OP decided if pharmacy school is "worth" it for him. Especially since he is already 35. Cost is the main factor IMO and should be calculated before the OP waste anymore of his time.

I'm not a USC "fan" more than anything else.

Just pointing out that you were casting aspersions upon a school with a tuition that is barely higher than your own school's tuition. Had you picked on any other school I would've responded in kind. =P

I agree though that @ 35, OP will need to think long and hard about the fiscal impact regardless of where OP attends school.
 
I'm not a USC "fan" more than anything else.

Just pointing out that you were casting aspersions upon a school with a tuition that is barely higher than your own school's tuition. Had you picked on any other school I would've responded in kind. =P

I agree though that @ 35, OP will need to think long and hard about the fiscal impact regardless of where OP attends school.


I see your point. You are right, I am just too use to picking on NYU and USC b/c they have the reputation of having outrageous pricetags for dental school when I was applying. Most people would pick on those two schools the most. I think I am just cranky b/c my overall grade in biochem is a 89 right now and I am stressing about that one point that's needed to bring me up to an A. We have 3 more exams left in that class so I will still have 3 shot at it. 🙄 So I am stressing and begining to wonder if ME PAYING MONEY TO BE STRESSOUT is worth it.:laugh: Especially with the job market being so poor its hard to feel confident that all this work will pay off. I just want to warn the OP the STRESS he is about to walk into if he decides on pharmacy school. Its not a fun or cheap process....
 
I'm having fun. School stress is nothing compared to real life stress. In fact, I don't really stress about school. This whole sit in lecture and then take a multiple choice exam thing is a breeze. We get daily quizzes that are ungraded so I get to make my dumb mistakes there so I'm good to go when it counts. Then I get a three day weekend. How cool is that? This is way better than working for a living and way less boring than being a stay at home mom. I'm loving pharmacy school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm having fun. School stress is nothing compared to real life stress. In fact, I don't really stress about school. This whole sit in lecture and then take a multiple choice exam thing is a breeze. We get daily quizzes that are ungraded so I get to make my dumb mistakes there so I'm good to go when it counts. Then I get a three day weekend. How cool is that? This is way better than working for a living and way less boring than being a stay at home mom. I'm loving pharmacy school.

I completely understand what you are talking about. I am 30 going and trying to get into school. I am choosing a 3 year program which I know will be tough but I can get in and out and start practicing a year sooner. Students go 11 weeks off 2 weeks program with QTRS which means I get 8 weeks off per year. That's 6 more than I get now, sweet.