Too young...too fresh for a dentist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OceanBlue

HA! I knew it.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been wondering about this for a long while and I want to see what you guys think about it....

Is there a big disavantage for being a "young" dentist? I'll be 25 when I come out; I'll still be young, fresh, and handsome. The reason why I asked is because i went to pay for my car insurance the other day and after talking to the insurance lady for a while, she told me "aren't you too young to be a dentist?" ....I told her I'll have 4 years to get old, and she told me "even at 25 you're still too young, I want my doctor to be at least 30. My dentist is 50." That insurance lady is kindda "old" herself. Also, this morning I was listening to a political debate on abc (it might be cbs), and they were making an analogy, and i remember one guy said, "at the end of the day, we want our dentists to be old and been around for many years"....the analogy was directed to Obama and the guy was saying how Obama is too young and inexperience to be the president. I mean, is it that big of a deal if you look young and you're a dentist? At the end of the day, isn't it about skills and not how old you look? Is this "one" of the reasons why old dentists are making more than young dentists?

Members don't see this ad.

In dental school, a little old lady asked me "aren't you too young to be a doctor?" and I said, "well how old do you have to be?" "35" she said. "Then yeah I'm too young."

Interesting topic...I've been thinking about this myself.

Is there a big disavantage for being a "young" dentist?
It certainly doesn't help, but I look pretty young and have never had a patient say anything about it. I think you will meet some initial surprise from new patients, but as long as you come across as bright, personable, earnest, and hard-working I doubt many patients will run off because of your age alone. If you take over for an trusted older dentist and he writes a letter to his patient base vouching for you that could also help overcome any initial skepticism.

I do remember at one office I volunteered in one of the staff members babbled on and on about how young I looked. Really, REALLY annoying...I think age might be a bigger problem if you walk into a situation with older personnel in place. Respect could be an issue, and they may have problems taking orders from someone young enough to be their son.

I'll still be young, fresh, and handsome.
Dye your hair gray, grow facial hair, and put on 30 pounds. It works for actors. :thumbup:

We have a guy in my class who's in his 50's. Lucky bastard...the day he graduates he'll magically become a dentist with 20+ years of experience as far as patients are concerned.

At the end of the day, isn't it about skills and not how old you look?
If by "skills" you mean *social* skills, then yes, from what I hear that's a major key to success in private practice. If you mean *clinical* skills I'd have to say not in my experience. In most cases patients cannot differentiate between quality dental care and minimally acceptable work. They'll boast to all their friends about the crown I thought was utter crap, and complain about the one I was proudest of. It's baffling. Your clinical skills will only stand out from dentists who are truly awful and neglect even the basics (e.g. leaving restorations in hyperocclusion).

Is this "one" of the reasons why old dentists are making more than young dentists?
Doubtful. Older dentists have developed a large base of reliable active patients, an established reputation that consitently generates new patients via word-of-mouth, and chairside speed and efficiency far beyond that of new dentists. That's why they make more money IMO.

I wouldn't worry about a youthful appearance too much. It's a PITA, but you'll get by just fine. Most new dentists look young, but it all works out for them in the end.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont think being young is a disadvantage. It almost always is an advantage :) as far as i'm concerned. Just make sure you act confident around patietns, they need to see that from their DDS so they can trust you.

Dental school will put more than 4 years on you. Seriously, though, the above posts are very helpful. You may be able to compensate by wearing a tie and growing a moustache, but it really comes down to personality. And a younger dentist usually has an easier time attracting younger adults, so it will all work out in the end. Once your patients start referring others, then your practice can grow. Just take it as a compliment each time someone says it to you. Some people just look younger than others. Don't rush it and it is not a big concern at all.

I do remember at one office I volunteered in one of the staff members babbled on and on about how young I looked. Really, REALLY annoying...I think age might be a bigger problem if you walk into a situation with older personnel in place. Respect could be an issue, and they may have problems taking orders from someone young enough to be their son.

hehe....Gosh! Tell me about it. I get that too! Yah...it's pretty ANNOYING...i wish they stop doing it. :laugh:

Thanks for all of your responses! I think I'm going to enjoy being young while I can.

I think I'm going to enjoy being young while I can.

Accomplishing a lot while you are young makes getting older very satisifying. It's almost indescribable! Finishing school at 26, having my kids at 28 and 31, buying a practice at 28, paying off my school loans and retiring all debt by 40, and this year, at 51, having my oldest graduate college and the younger one finish his first year put me in a position to really feel quite wonderful! Early is better, in my opinion, but it's never, ever too late! I think it has made very little difference in patient acceptance either. Many of my patients that are with me now were with me through my pregnancies. They too are utterly amazed that my oldest is graduating and even more so that my youngest is in college! Time flies, live it to the fullest, work hard and constructively and enjoy! Very Best Wishes and Good Health!

Accomplishing a lot while you are young makes getting older very satisifying. It's almost indescribable! Finishing school at 26, having my kids at 28 and 31, buying a practice at 28, paying off my school loans and retiring all debt by 40, and this year, at 51, having my oldest graduate college and the younger one finish his first year put me in a position to really feel quite wonderful! Early is better, in my opinion, but it's never, ever too late! I think it has made very little difference in patient acceptance either. Many of my patients that are with me now were with me through my pregnancies. They too are utterly amazed that my oldest is graduating and even more so that my youngest is in college! Time flies, live it to the fullest, work hard and constructively and enjoy! Very Best Wishes and Good Health!
thanks for your comment:D

I was a 25 year old graduate, umm now 10 years ago(boy does time fly!):D I was asked that alot in my early days, not a big deal. If it was someone serious, I'd explain the entire 4 years college/4 years d-school, my b-day is in November, so I started school younger than most, etc, etc, etc. Not a big deal.

If it was someone asking me the question about my age that seemed to have a good sense of humor, I'd respond with something like, "no, all the other older dentists were just too dumb to finish early;) :D "

you listen to politics and the reporters? well there is your problem.lol

Every time I shave my beard I look so young that when I am with my brother people think that he is the older one (he has beard!!) I think I will let my beard grow as soon as I graduate dental school in 4 years! Maybe dye too :)

Oh, and your 50 yo classmate is so lucky ToothMonkey. I think people will think he has that 30 year experience 99% of the time!

my friend's a dentist at 22...he was already young for his grade, then went to the accelerated program at uop. imagine that...22 and a dentist!

I am 24 and taking the WREB this weekend - hopefully then get my license in a few months. Tooth Monkey was spot on in his response. It is a given that some people will not go to you because you are as old as their children, but there are plenty of young people out there with cavities that prefer a younger dentist. On the other hand, a good personality and good social skills can win over any patient. So you might have to do less dentures and RPDs (darn...), but you can still become successful. Good luck.

honestly...there's much more things to worry while you are in dental besides your age...like getting your requirements done..make sure your patients pay and show up on time...then when it comes down to taking different stage of boards...it's a whole another story..seriously..dont worry about things like your age..there will be tons of other things to stress u out and make u think in dental school. Just another perspective thats all...

..wow. when i read this. i felt like i had my own glimpse at the future.. ill be 25 as well when i graduate and frankly.. i dont want to get there.. ;) and like the sayin goes.. enjoy life now. having seen people graduate recently (and currently witnessing one reception outside my window).. i dont want to get there. as much as do i want to get there. :(

my friend's a dentist at 22...he was already young for his grade, then went to the accelerated program at uop. imagine that...22 and a dentist!

that'll be me in 2 years.
Hopefully my final year results come out before my 23rd birthday...

I don' see anything wrong with it, competency has nothing to do with age.
Actually, younger=more stamina,better eyesight, better back, stronger arms.
(ok that was a stupid rationalization..)

I've been wondering about this for a long while and I want to see what you guys think about it....

Is there a big disavantage for being a "young" dentist? I'll be 25 when I come out; I'll still be young, fresh, and handsome. The reason why I asked is because i went to pay for my car insurance the other day and after talking to the insurance lady for a while, she told me "aren't you too young to be a dentist?" ....I told her I'll have 4 years to get old, and she told me "even at 25 you're still too young, I want my doctor to be at least 30. My dentist is 50." That insurance lady is kindda "old" herself. Also, this morning I was listening to a political debate on abc (it might be cbs), and they were making an analogy, and i remember one guy said, "at the end of the day, we want our dentists to be old and been around for many years"....the analogy was directed to Obama and the guy was saying how Obama is too young and inexperience to be the president. I mean, is it that big of a deal if you look young and you're a dentist? At the end of the day, isn't it about skills and not how old you look? Is this "one" of the reasons why old dentists are making more than young dentists?

do not worry mr. young-fresh-and-handsome. being young is better than being old. graduating from dental school at the age of 25 is awesome. perhaps some people get jealous, and so they say unpleasant things.

surely though, anytime you feel like swapping age, just let me know. i'll be more than happy to give you my 32 in exchange for your 25.

do not worry mr. young-fresh-and-handsome. being young is better than being old. graduating from dental school at the age of 25 is awesome. perhaps some people get jealous, and so they say unpleasant things.

surely though, anytime you feel like swapping age, just let me know. i'll be more than happy to give you my 32 in exchange for your 25.

hehe! thanks!