GRE too old to use for orthodontics application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi world. I’m in dental school considering applying to orthodontic residencies in a couple years. I know most (if not all) require the GRE — and I took the GRE…2 years ago for a different grad program that I ended up not doing. I studied hard and got a good score that I’d like to use (162/162/4.5) for my app, but I’m worried PDs will think it’s too old (even though it’s technically within the time before the GRE officially expires by ETS rules) and I’m worried this will hurt my chances. Anyone else been in this situation? (It’d be almost 5 years old by the time I apply.) Any thoughts on if I should retake just for a more recent score (not sure I’d do much better)? Does this even matter to PDs?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
GRE expires in 5 years, as long as you could send the unexpired scores to the schools, you should be fine. There were a handful of school which needed GRE to be within 4 years, you can either email them to request exceptions or drop them from your list.