1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Too young?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Camy99, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Camy99

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Once upon a time, I was apparently smart enough to skip a grade. Now I am about to be a 19yrold 3rd year.. meaning I will graduate having barely turned 21 (May bday).

Question: Are younger applicants looked down upon? You know, too immature and all that jazz.

I don't know what my stats will be like by the time I apply if I decide to do so next year but as of right it looks like I'll be an average applicant. I was just wondering if I have yet another thing playing against me in this whole ordeal..

Answers?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. aSagacious

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Nothing productive comes of worrying about things that can't be changed (like your age). Simply do your best and leave the rest to the AdComs.

4. RookTookIt

RookTookIt SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You hear that more among applicants that graduated early. The problem isn't being young, but that graduating in three years means you will necessarily have fewer experiences. Since this isn't a problem in your case, I don't see why being one year younger would be a problem.

5. Camy99

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm not so much worrying as wondering if I might as well wait a year so that I could perhaps improve my stats and at the same time get rid of the age thing.
    I don't worry, I just think.. too much XD

6. aviendhae

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I met a friend a few semesters ago that actually went back to school for another degree because she was under 21. She said that she couldn't apply to med school until she was 21. Now she'll have three undergrad degrees (one from before and a double major now). Since she didn't have to repeat core classes, I find this kinda awesome to do if you have time to kill.

7. aSagacious

Resident [Any Field]
    Like RookTookIt mentioned, younger applicants often have weaker ECs compared to their older counterparts. However, if your application is in order by the end of your junior year (good GPA, MCAT, strong LORs, typical ECs, etc) I see no reason not to apply simply because of your age. If it makes you feel better, 5% of matriculants are only 21 years old, so they apparently do get in fairly regularly.

8. Lil Mick

5+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    You'll be the same age or even older than a lot of the BS/MD crowd. I wouldn't worry about that as much as your experiences graduating early (less time to do ECs, volunteer, do research). If you have good experience with those, go ahead and apply. If not, wait and apply :)

9. ppfizenm

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Depends on the school. Look at non-traditional students vs traditional (not taking anytime off in between) acceptance rates. Some favor one over the over.

10. aSagacious

Resident [Any Field]
    Where is this data published? I've never come across it.

11. milski

milski 1K member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Actually, she can get older, by about a year each year. I would be more concerned in the opposite case, when you start worrying if you're too old to apply.

12. ppfizenm

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I've seen it on school's websites before. More so for the ones that accepted more non-traditional. I think they like advertising that fact.

13. Daedra22

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I started med school at 20. I don't think that my age hurt me during the application process; if anything it was seen as sort of impressive. However, I had a very unique background, so they never had to ask whether I was mature enough or had enough life experiences (you'd be surprised what can happen to you in 20 years on earth). It's a very subjective process, and I would say that if you don't have anything you want to do between undergrad and med school, go ahead and apply.

14. isoquin

isoquin Allopathetic
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think the question that comes up is one of maturity and relevant experiences. Working the front desk of daddy's practice is often times viewed as a weaker or immature experience. Push yourself into a professional setting where you can really understand the lifestyle and requirements of that profession. You need to prove that you are aware of what you're getting into with medicine, and I think you'll do fine.

Time to put away the pokemon avatars. :p

15. zamzee

Pre-Medical
    I was also 21 when I graduated college this year - I didn't skip a grade, I just had a really late birthday. I'm taking a year off before med school because I didn't want my only experience up to this point being school. I thought I was a pretty mature person before this year, but having to find a job, moving back home and dealing with problems I have with my parents, struggling to figure out WTF you're doing, and being broke has definitely made me into a much more mature person. It's been hell, but I know I'm growing a lot. Haha!

16. paul411

paul411 ANES
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Age itself is not a disadvantage in applying. A lack of experience compared to other applicants is usually the issue. If you're on track to graduate college in 4 years and have good ECs and stats, your age is a non-issue. I was a young applicant and I got in.

17. bookfreak89

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Agreed. I have a friend who did the same. I thought she was quite mature for her age, and we're the same age. :laugh:

18. nysw

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    MD/PhD Student
    I'm in your boat (21 when I graduate next May) and applying this cycle. It doesn't look like it's hindered me so far.
    If your stats are competitive, just apply in your senior year. If they're not, sure, take extra classes. Age shouldn't be a factor in this decision though.

19. Stumpyman

7+ Year Member

I'm in the EXACT same boat as you. I will graduate in 2 years at the age of (just turned) 20. I've decided I will take a gap year an go on a peace core trip, as well as some research. But anyways, being a young applicant is only looked own upon if and when you don't have as much experiences, and even more especially when you're not mature. At the interview, when the interviewer asks "Why do you want to be a doctor?" -Come up with a regular, mature response, don't ever say "Because i want to help people" or something of that sort.

20. HH Holmes

7+ Year Member

Peace Corps is a 27 month contract that requires applicants to apply anywhere from 9-12 months in advance... Just letting you know. Not a simple 'gap year' activity.

21. RookTookIt

RookTookIt SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Wait, wait....you BOTH have pokemon avatars??

22. isoquin

isoquin Allopathetic
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    what's with these pre-meds being on a boat? and the SAME boat no less?

say hi to t-pain for me.

23. aSagacious

Resident [Any Field]
    I was gonna make a joke about the S.S. Anne (because of the earlier Pokemon reference) but decided against it. :p

24. ElCapone

ElCapone Don't Lawyer Me
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I feel ya bro. I'll be 21 also when I graduate.

25. JESSFALLING

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You're never too older to become an Osteopath!;)

26. tima

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I turned 21 two months before I marticulated medical school this year. It's not a big deal.

Just make sure that your application (EC activities, consistent grades, professional behavior during interviews, etc.) gives the impression that you are mature.

I don't see much difference between a 21 and 22 year-old applicant.

27. Camy99

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks guys! I just asked because I saw... somewhere that the average age was like 23 and that the school encouraged non-trad applicants because of their maturity.
    As much as I'm a 'forever young at heart' kind of person IN person, on paper I come off as quite mature because I have gone through quite a variety of experiences. I'm glad that adcoms could realize that being younger doesn't make me any less able to conquer med school. I hope I'll be able to properly express myself on said paper. I'll look forward to that battle next year though..

28. Tapepsi

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Don't think too much into this. I'm 21 and currently an MS1. Age isn't a problem as long as you are mature and your EC's are solid.

29. AZFutureDoc

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    All that matters is your age gauged by maturity and experience. I am a reapplicant, and a big factor that schools didn't like about me is that I appeared "young, not in the sense of numbers, but in lacking a fully developed understanding of the world and the field of medicine." So as long as you can come off as mature, and sound wise, you will be fine. Just show lots of experience, and a mature, thorough understanding of what it means to be a doctor.

30. ejw5075

ejw5075 Smile.
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I turned 21 two days before my first year of med school and I'm no where near the youngest person in my class. The class above me has a girl who started at 17 and to top it off her 20 year old sister is in the same class.

31. laxian

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Try to come off as more mature. Here's where im coming from. I applied when I was 20 after 3 years in college. It was a little different for me because i actually only had 74 hours of coursework, but anyways. I interviewed at University of Texas Galveston and University of Texas Houston but didnt get in and met with the houston admission dean. She was like "yea you seemed kind of immature" and she definitely mentioned my age. BUT she continued to say that "not all people your age come off as immature". So the point is that if you are a younger, it doesnt hurt to come off as a bit more mature. I know for a fact that maturity is one of the criteria they look for in interviews. (just fyi, her saying i was immature was completely justified. My Personal statement was very questionable and my picture I submitted was not even close to a professional picture)

#30 laxian, Aug 24, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  32. alexandertg6

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I applied last year as a 20 year old. Heres the thing... You might very well get in because your age doesnt make any difference on paper, but it really does seem to for the interviewers. I have very strong ECs and average stats for med school, but I did find myself in an uphill battle with interviewers who could not seem to get past the fact that I could not buy a beer. I think I had good answers, but I think you really need great answers and above average stats to get in young. That being said, getting into medical school on its own is an uphill battle and odds are already against you. A little more adversity shouldnt dissuade you from doing what you want. I didnt get in so Im reapplying this year now that I can buy a beer with a few shiny new additions to my application. Plus being a reapplicant at a lot of schools helps (by showing perseverance).