Took 1st MCAT practice cold

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wlee43

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
didnt really remember much from chem, physics (didnt take physics 2), or ochem.

I took the AAMC 3 and got a composite of 21. Im going to take the actual thing on Aug. My question is, is 21 decent for taking it cold and is 34+ a realistic expectation if I study til Aug?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah tats good for first test. I got a 21 on my first practice test but ended up with mid 30s when I took the real deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an 18 on my first practice test and then mid-thirties on the real thing. I spent about 2 months solid studying. Don't beat yourself up over it, but make sure you crack down on your test preparation when the time comes.

I got a 21 on my first cold test as well. I followed that up with about 2 months of very lazy/ineffective studying followed by 2 weeks of really cracking down and I managed a 30 on the real deal. I'm retaking it with 3 months of solid studying this time and I think a 35+ is achievable.

So, yeah, I think your expectations are realistic if you're willing to put in the work.

Ditto what basically everyone else has said. I scored in the low 20s on a diagnostic MCAT in early June 2010. I spent the entire summer doing basically nothing besides studying, staying really healthy (sleeping more, eating better, doing cardio, not drinking at all), and taking as many practice tests as possible (Kaplan). I took the real thing in August, and ended up getting a 38 (higher than any of my practice tests). It was hard to not go out with friends during my last summer in college, but I don't regret it at all.

If you can afford it, I would recommend taking a prep-course. However, I imagine that you could do just as well without one if you are a good self-motivator. :luck:

A 38?! Jeez, congrats. What an improvement. I've already used up all of my AAMC FLs (except 11), maybe I'll check out the Kaplan ones (if you can take those w/out the class). Up until now I was going to use the Gold Standard ones

Definitely don't worry about it. Starting points mean nothing. Two friends and I started at 28/28/27. One got a low thirty, one a mid thirty, and one around 40. It's all about what you put into the studying and how well you develop an individualized plan/method for yourself.

It means nothing at all. Go study.

This is the truth here.

The reality is you probably guessed on some questions. Some of those you got right and some of them you got wrong so this test score has no bearing whatsoever on how you will perform on other practice exams and the real thing once you've reviewed all content.