Took 2018 PCAT July 18th 2018. Any questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Calbant

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title says, I took the pcat today. Ask me any questions

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I also took the PCAT
BP 75
CP 89
CR 21
QR 88
COMPOSITE 74

Clearly reading went terrible and I have to retake any suggestions on how to improve with reading. Mind you English is my first language.

Did you use Collins? How is the Collins Quant compared to the real PCAT? And the Bio from Collins too, are Collins practice tests for Bio good enough? Thanks

Did you use Collins? How is the Collins Quant compared to the real PCAT? And the Bio from Collins too, are Collins practice tests for Bio good enough? Thanks
Just a piece of advice, don't study the dr collins practice exams like they are going to appear on the actual PCAT. Use those practice exams to gauge your knowledge on basic sciences. If you feel like the questions were challenging to answer and do poorly on those practice exams, then you need to go back and study gen chem/bio.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just wrote my PCAT and my scores were

Bio 75
Chem 86
CR 85
QR 85
Comp 86

I'm disappointed but not surprised because I know I didn't prep like I should have. I don't know if its bad enough for me to write again though. I'm only applying to U of T and my cGPA is an A or a 3.9 on the 4.0 scale (so somewhere from 85-89%)... is it worth it to re-write?

Hi I also took the PCAT
BP 75
CP 89
CR 21
QR 88
COMPOSITE 74

Clearly reading went terrible and I have to retake any suggestions on how to improve with reading. Mind you English is my first language.
Just practice the passages and work on timing. That usually helps people get better at it

Honestly all I used was Kaplan. I only took a Kaplan practice exam. To be fair, I took the mcat when I wanted to be a doctor so that helped with the pcat.

I just wrote my PCAT and my scores were

Bio 75
Chem 86
CR 85
QR 85
Comp 86

I'm disappointed but not surprised because I know I didn't prep like I should have. I don't know if its bad enough for me to write again though. I'm only applying to U of T and my cGPA is an A or a 3.9 on the 4.0 scale (so somewhere from 85-89%)... is it worth it to re-write?
86 is very good and with your gpa you'll get in

Just a question about the formatting of answers. Do the answers for Chem/Math calculations appear in ascending order?

Ex)

a) 2
b)4
c)10
d) 22

Thanks.

I got
94 bio
94 chem
26 cr
89 math

86 composite
I am happy with my scores aside from critical reading. I shouldn’t retake the test right? I am planning on applying this cycle

Reactions: 1 user
I got
94 bio
94 chem
26 cr
89 math

86 composite
I am happy with my scores aside from critical reading. I shouldn’t retake the test right? I am planning on applying this cycle

Any suggestions on how to study? Or what you used to study/how you studied? :) That's a nice composite though

I got
94 bio
94 chem
26 cr
89 math

86 composite
Nah 70 is considered competitive so you're good for applying

Any suggestions on how to study? Or what you used to study/how you studied? :) That's a nice composite though

I myself used the Kaplan book, read each chapter, took one of the free pcat practice exams, memorized what I needed to memorize or at least understand it, also answered the questions at the end of each chapter. My Kaplan book has writing in it but I'm willing to sell it lol

Members don't see this ad :)
As the title says, I took the pcat today. Ask me any questions
Hi took my pcat today and my scores are different than what i see here.

SS
BP. 385
CP 375
CR 361
QR 399
Composite 379

This is my preliminary score report.
I used Kaplan.
So i really dont know how to interpret those scores

Hi! I took it yesterday as well.

BP 75
CP 94
CR 56
QR 51
Composite 75

I'm applying early decision and on vacation during the September date so I can't take again for this cycle. Is this a good enough score?

My overall gpa is 3.8
Science 3.65

BP 75
CP 94
CR 56
QR 51
Composite 75

I'm applying early decision and on vacation during the September date so I can't take again for this cycle. Is this a good enough score?

My overall gpa is 3.8
Science 3.65
Hello.
Are the final score what u have on the PR column???? On the preliminary score report???

Bio: 75
Chem: 92
CR: 95
QR: 82
Composite: 91

I’m fairly pleased with these scores, as I only completed one year of undergrad so far and have no background in ochem, biochem, or anatomy prior to preparing for this test. I strongly recommend the Kaplan book that comes with the two practice tests. Used one as a diagnostic beforehand to help create a study plan on what to focus on/not worry about, went through the book, and took the second practice exam a few days before the PCAT to see what last minute stuff I should brush up on. Would recommend using something other than Kaplan for the math however. I was confident with all the material but ended up being short on time and had to make plenty of logical guesses. Doesn’t work for everyone, but you definitely don’t need more than a month of studying (I prepared in ~3weeks)

Last edited:

BP 75
CP 94
CR 56
QR 51
Composite 75

My overall gpa is 3.8
Science 3.65
You should be fine

I was wondering for the Chemical Processes section on the PCAT, was there any spectroscopy question in which they gave you frequencies and you had to determine the functional group?

Thanks!

I was wondering for the Chemical Processes section on the PCAT, was there any spectroscopy question in which they gave you frequencies and you had to determine the functional group?

Thanks!
I want to answer this question but at the same time I don't want to put myself at risk of messing with my scores for discussing questions asked on the exam.
My general answer is, just understand what you are looking at when dealing with spectroscopy.