1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Took 8-17 MCAT, Can you be rejected already for bad prior scores?

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by isidella, Sep 26, 2002.

1. isidella

7+ Year Member

So your file is complete with BAAAAD April MCAT scores. I hear that schools keep your file open if you specify that you took the August MCAT.

But. . .
    Has anyone been rejected based on April scores with pending August scores? Do schools seriously reconsider apps when August scores roll in?

I just need some reassurance here; sorry if this Q has been answered a few times already.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Kermie

Kermie Member
    7+ Year Member

I think most (if not all) schools will wait until your August scores before they make a decision.

3. blkdawn

blkdawn Member
    7+ Year Member

Hate to break the news to you. I've received two rejections outright without waiting for my August scores.

Granted, my undergrad grades are horrible and I started off with a snowball's chance in hell of getting in anywhere....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. UCLAMAN

UCLAMAN Air Jordan Collector
    7+ Year Member

from which schools if you don't mind posting?

5. isidella

7+ Year Member

Thank you for your input. My worst fear confirmed. . . I do have a 3.8 to work with though. But the days pass, not in hopes of interviews, but with fear of rejections. :(

6. Mudd

Mudd Charlatan & Trouble Maker
    7+ Year Member

How is your fear confirmed at all? The prior poster pretty much summed it up that their rejection likely was due to GPA short-comings. You do not have that. You have a great GPA. If your MCAT scores are the weakest part of your application package, I'm sure a school will wait for the updated scores.

And some food for thought in these stressful times:

• All you need is ONE acceptance!

Almost every applicant (probably 99.99%) will receive more rejection letters than interviews. The process is demoralizing and stressful, and sequenced in such a way that you get negative news long before any signs of hope. Relax and take it in stride. You will get rejected at a few places, because that's just the way the sytem works. But in time, you'll get accepted to a few places, and then you'll notice that the world is a pretty nice place afterall.

7. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003] Platinum Member
    7+ Year Member

You have to tell schools to wait fro your August MCAT scores. Some schools will wait on them if you checked that box on AMCAS application that you will be retaking it but for some schools like BU and Northwestern, you would have to send a letter saying to wait for your MCAT scores.

8. blkdawn

blkdawn Member
    7+ Year Member

UF and Wayne State. As someone else noted, my grades are subpar. This is just a last ditch effort to try to get in to med school before settling on another career.

p.s. I did indicate on the AMCAS application that I was retaking in August.

9. Medical123

Medical123 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Well, my verbal score on the April MCAT was the pits and I got my rejection letter from ETSU today (I am out of state)! This was presecondary and I have a high GPA. I think it stinks that they could not even wait a couple of weeks to see if there was any improvement in my score :( !