Took MCAT today. . . feeling uneasy.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rachel993

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all--

So, I know a lot of people on here are like "don't ask about dumb things," but I would just maybe like to get some peace of mind on this matter, so please bear with me.

I took the MCAT just this morning, and I'm already feeling very uneasy about it:
First, I put a LOT of studying into it for about the past five months, took Kaplan's course, yada yada. my practice tests the past month have been consistently around 30-32, which I have not been toooo disappointed with. Verbal has always been relatively "easy" for me, meaning that, even if I didn't put a ton of effort into that section on a practice test, I could still score around an 11, and higher when I really put my brain to it. physical science is my second strongest (consistently around 10s) followed by biological (consistently around 9).

With that said, I took the test today, and I do NOT feel I did near the same level. For one, I thought the PS was killer, and I think that my mind got so flustered at first that even basic math that I can usually perform in a snap, seemed to take a lifetime (seriously, it took me like a whole minute to figure that 1,000,000 cm^3 = 1 m ^3). It's kind of blurry now, but I definitely had to do a LOT more educated guessing on the PS than I normally do. . . usually in these cases I could narrow down the choices confidently to just two options, but still, I'm really really worried about what I might end up getting.

Oddly enough, when I finished the BS, I had 19 minutes left! So I carefully went back through my answers, but even still, I don't feel too confident, just because I am never confident with any organic chem things. . .

I guess my overall question is-- for those who have taken the MCAT already, did you feel the same way, in regard to having less confidence, or having to make more uncertain selections? and how did you end up scoring? Again, I know it might not mean anything specific to my case, but any [kind] input is welcome, as I'm just hoping to get some perspective and maybe some reassurance, as I wait these dreaded 31 days to get my score. . . Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I felt terrible immediately after my exam and even for days after, particularly about the verbal section. I felt fairly good about the sciences, but I was expecting at best an 8 on the verbal (even though I had never went below a 10 on the practice AAMCs). I was definitely entertaining the idea of signing up for a retake but didn't end up doing so. Despite feeling so terrible about VR I still came out with a 12 in that section, so your feelings can definitely mislead you. I am not saying that everyone that has felt bad never ended up performing poorly but there are definitely those who feel terrible and perform just fine.

Nothing I say will set your mind at ease if you are anything like me but know that it is definitely possible and even probable that, despite your feelings, you did fine/close to your averages on the exam.

Hey all--

So, I know a lot of people on here are like "don't ask about dumb things," but I would just maybe like to get some peace of mind on this matter, so please bear with me.

I took the MCAT just this morning, and I'm already feeling very uneasy about it:
First, I put a LOT of studying into it for about the past five months, took Kaplan's course, yada yada. my practice tests the past month have been consistently around 30-32, which I have not been toooo disappointed with. Verbal has always been relatively "easy" for me, meaning that, even if I didn't put a ton of effort into that section on a practice test, I could still score around an 11, and higher when I really put my brain to it. physical science is my second strongest (consistently around 10s) followed by biological (consistently around 9).

With that said, I took the test today, and I do NOT feel I did near the same level. For one, I thought the PS was killer, and I think that my mind got so flustered at first that even basic math that I can usually perform in a snap, seemed to take a lifetime (seriously, it took me like a whole minute to figure that 1,000,000 cm^3 = 1 m ^3). It's kind of blurry now, but I definitely had to do a LOT more educated guessing on the PS than I normally do. . . usually in these cases I could narrow down the choices confidently to just two options, but still, I'm really really worried about what I might end up getting.

Oddly enough, when I finished the BS, I had 19 minutes left! So I carefully went back through my answers, but even still, I don't feel too confident, just because I am never confident with any organic chem things. . .

I guess my overall question is-- for those who have taken the MCAT already, did you feel the same way, in regard to having less confidence, or having to make more uncertain selections? and how did you end up scoring? Again, I know it might not mean anything specific to my case, but any [kind] input is welcome, as I'm just hoping to get some perspective and maybe some reassurance, as I wait these dreaded 31 days to get my score. . . Thanks!

i felt, seriously, almost exactly the same as you. i took it may 8th. it takes a week or two to decompress after taking it, and come to accept that there is absolutely nothing you can do about it right now, it is out of your control. focus on other things, and when you get your score back, it will be either time to 1) retake or 2) throw yourself a big party.
good luck, try to have some faith in yourself and your preparation, you probably did just fine.

As someone who scoured through posts asking the same thing, I still didn't believe people when they said that their post-exam feelings weren't accurate.

I thought I failed PS, since I knew I got 5 questions wrong and was totally in the dark about another passage. Pulled off a 12. I also thought VR wasn't too difficult, and it even had a passage I was genuinely interested in. I got an 8.

Don't put too much weight on your impressions.