Took my DAT today!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ashish

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I am so glad to finally get the DAT over with. I have learned so much from this forum so I wanted to share this so others taking the DAT soon can benefit from it.

So, I basically followed to Ari's 10 week DAT study schedule right up until the Full length exams. I gave myself 2 more weeks in-between to review topics before I took the full length exams. So. I bascially studied for about 3 months. First 2 months, I was working full time but the last month, I gave away a lot of my shifts at the hospital ( I work as a medical scribe at the ER). And my Supervisor doc was kinds enough to not schedule me too much! So I ended up scoring...

PAT 20
QR 21
RC 19 ( totally choked in this section).......Do you guys think this is low for Dental schools?
Bio 24
Gen Chem 23
Orgo 24
TS 24
AA 22

So, the worst nightmare possible, which you only read about in DAT guidelines, happened to me taking the DAT. The whole building lost power during RC section that totally messed me up and threw me in a panic mode. I swear I lost time although the proctor said it saves the time as well. I ran out of time with about 6 questions left :( Anyways, apart from this everything went well.

Materials:

Cliffs AP Bio 3rd edition
Chad's video
DAT Destroyer 2016
Math Destroyer 2016
DAT Bootcamp
Ferali's note

A big shout out to @orgoman22 and @Ari Rezaei for their fabulous materials. You guys are great!

Biology:
I am a Biology major so had a strong background on this section. I used Cliff's Bio for review, supplemented with Ferali's notes and applied it doing all 592 questions is DAT Destroyer. I went over all Destroyer problem twice.

General Chemistry:
This section was the most daunting to begin with because I did not have to take any college chemistry classes in university because I transferred high school credits so I had forgotten most of the stuff. I spent the most time watching Chad's videos reviewing this section. Took all the quizzes as I went through the different sections. got destroyed by the destroyer twice before I could stand any chance the third time. Doing it third time, I still got 87 out of 357 questions wrong which I did 2 days before the exam.

Organic Chemistry:
Started this section with Chad's videos. Understand the movement of electrons and really spend time understanding the mechanisms. When, I first started I was horrible at this section. I even posted about how to improve on it. Thank you to everyone who gave me advice. I really listened to it. The scores show, one of my highest. I kept on pushing through the Destroyer the first and second time. It was brutal but I read through each and every answer (the ones I got correct and the ones I missed). When I did not understand anything, I opened my big fat O Chem course book that I had saved from school. I basically did the destroyer 3.5 times just like I did Gen chem. 321 questions, each will teach you a lot!!

RC:
I am gonna be honest, reading is not my thing. I have read about handful of books aside of the ones I had to read for my English and Lit classes. English is not my mother tongue either. I did DBC reading comprehension and kept on reading daily readings from Scientific American. I am not really the one to be taking advise from for this section.

PAT:
DBC daily PAT generators are great and I did them every morning before the start of my study session. 15 each everyday. I got less than 15 the first time I took DBC PAT FL test. There is no other way to this but practice and practice and practice a whole lot more. There is no magic trick to this section..Honestly I thought I did a lot better but got a 20..oh well.

QR:
Ok, I kept on reading that DAT QR is easy but mine was way way way harder than any of the DAT destroyer or DBC test. I usually get about 35-37 out of 40 (even in Destroyer timed test 1-11, if you have not done 12, just wait..you will find out). I honestly was hoping to hit a home run with this but I probably made stupid mistakes. DAT is really good at knowing what kinda mistakes you might make and present it as a answer choice. I basically did all Math Destroyer twice and Chad videos.

Those of you guys taking the DAT soon, Keep your head up guys. Numbers right now don't mean anything. Learn from the mistakes so you won't make those same mistakes during the real exam. With hard work and dedication, you can beat the DAT!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats, you killed it! Hopefully I can score as well as you in a week and a half! Are you applying this cycle?

Last edited:
Congratulations! great scores. I agree with you, QR section for me was difficult too. Too wordy i'd say. I swear one question had 2 paragraphs in it. I guessed on 3-4 questions but still ran out of time with 2 questions remaining.

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations on your fantastic scores! Good luck with applying this cycle!

Congratulations! great scores. I agree with you, QR section for me was difficult too. Too wordy i'd say. I swear one question had 2 paragraphs in it. I guessed on 3-4 questions but still ran out of time with 2 questions remaining.
Agreed!

Congrats Ashish,

I was rooting for you! You killed it!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys!

I am so glad to finally get the DAT over with. I have learned so much from this forum so I wanted to share this so others taking the DAT soon can benefit from it.

So, I basically followed to Ari's 10 week DAT study schedule right up until the Full length exams. I gave myself 2 more weeks in-between to review topics before I took the full length exams. So. I bascially studied for about 3 months. First 2 months, I was working full time but the last month, I gave away a lot of my shifts at the hospital ( I work as a medical scribe at the ER). And my Supervisor doc was kinds enough to not schedule me too much! So I ended up scoring...

PAT 20
QR 21
RC 19 ( totally choked in this section).......Do you guys think this is low for Dental schools?
Bio 24
Gen Chem 23
Orgo 24
TS 24
AA 22

So, the worst nightmare possible, which you only read about in DAT guidelines, happened to me taking the DAT. The whole building lost power during RC section that totally messed me up and threw me in a panic mode. I swear I lost time although the proctor said it saves the time as well. I ran out of time with about 6 questions left :( Anyways, apart from this everything went well.

Materials:

Cliffs AP Bio 3rd edition
Chad's video
DAT Destroyer 2016
Math Destroyer 2016
DAT Bootcamp
Ferali's note

A big shout out to @orgoman22 and @Ari Rezaei for their fabulous materials. You guys are great!

Biology:
I am a Biology major so had a strong background on this section. I used Cliff's Bio for review, supplemented with Ferali's notes and applied it doing all 592 questions is DAT Destroyer. I went over all Destroyer problem twice.

General Chemistry:
This section was the most daunting to begin with because I did not have to take any college chemistry classes in university because I transferred high school credits so I had forgotten most of the stuff. I spent the most time watching Chad's videos reviewing this section. Took all the quizzes as I went through the different sections. got destroyed by the destroyer twice before I could stand any chance the third time. Doing it third time, I still got 87 out of 357 questions wrong which I did 2 days before the exam.

Organic Chemistry:
Started this section with Chad's videos. Understand the movement of electrons and really spend time understanding the mechanisms. When, I first started I was horrible at this section. I even posted about how to improve on it. Thank you to everyone who gave me advice. I really listened to it. The scores show, one of my highest. I kept on pushing through the Destroyer the first and second time. It was brutal but I read through each and every answer (the ones I got correct and the ones I missed). When I did not understand anything, I opened my big fat O Chem course book that I had saved from school. I basically did the destroyer 3.5 times just like I did Gen chem. 321 questions, each will teach you a lot!!

RC:
I am gonna be honest, reading is not my thing. I have read about handful of books aside of the ones I had to read for my English and Lit classes. English is not my mother tongue either. I did DBC reading comprehension and kept on reading daily readings from Scientific American. I am not really the one to be taking advise from for this section.

PAT:
DBC daily PAT generators are great and I did them every morning before the start of my study session. 15 each everyday. I got less than 15 the first time I took DBC PAT FL test. There is no other way to this but practice and practice and practice a whole lot more. There is no magic trick to this section..Honestly I thought I did a lot better but got a 20..oh well.

QR:
Ok, I kept on reading that DAT QR is easy but mine was way way way harder than any of the DAT destroyer or DBC test. I usually get about 35-37 out of 40 (even in Destroyer timed test 1-11, if you have not done 12, just wait..you will find out). I honestly was hoping to hit a home run with this but I probably made stupid mistakes. DAT is really good at knowing what kinda mistakes you might make and present it as a answer choice. I basically did all Math Destroyer twice and Chad videos.

Those of you guys taking the DAT soon, Keep your head up guys. Numbers right now don't mean anything. Learn from the mistakes so you won't make those same mistakes during the real exam. With hard work and dedication, you can beat the DAT!

:clap:Congratulations!
Sorry for the delay in acknowledging these fantastic scores! I see no problem with the reading score whatsoever, they will be blinded by your science scores.
Thanks for the shout out and we are thrilled you found the Destroyers helped you achieve your scores. Your hard work and dedication paid off!

I don't need a crystal ball to predict you will have numerous interviews and acceptances in your future.

Wishing you the best!

Nancy and Dr. Jim Romano

:clap:Congratulations!
Sorry for the delay in acknowledging these fantastic scores! I see no problem with the reading score whatsoever, they will be blinded by your science scores.
Thanks for the shout out and we are thrilled you found the Destroyers helped you achieve your scores. Your hard work and dedication paid off!

I don't need a crystal ball to predict you will have numerous interviews and acceptances in your future.

Wishing you the best!

Nancy and Dr. Jim Romano
Thank you so much Dr. Romano and Nancy. :)