took part 1 on 7 feb.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zdentist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, i just took part 1 on 7th feb. & here is my experience :

first of all, the new format made the exam more difficult , a scenario is given then followed by questions concerning this scenario, the questions are either correlated to each other or not. As for me, i felt that these testlets were the most difficult part of the exam.

The rest of the exam wasn`t what i expected, many questions about things i`ve never heard about before! i had to guess alot, many questions on xerostomia, autoimmune diseases, detailed info in embryology, had no pistures at all,Dental anatomy was as usuall the best & easieist part.

At the end of the exam i had about 170 MARKED questions which i don`t know weather right or wrong, the rest 230 questions i think 90% correct.

I don`t know if i could pass the exam or not, i feel i made very bad, marking 170 questions is alot i think. Anyone out there who took the exam, please tell me if you felt the same.?

Lastly, if there is anyone who took the same exam of mine, please share your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

Fortunately or unfortunately my exam was the old format!!!
No test lets nothing...not the comprehensive one like expected..
questions basic..almost 70 percent repeated...lots of oncogene stuff that was total guess work...dental anatomy was the easiest but Patho was a bit tricky...I made some really stupid mistakes in Biochem even though I had read those things ten times...not expecting to do well...:sleep: :rolleyes: :cool:

Fortunately or unfortunately my exam was the old format!!!
No test lets nothing...not the comprehensive one like expected..
questions basic..almost 70 percent repeated...lots of oncogene stuff that was total guess work...dental anatomy was the easiest but Patho was a bit tricky...I made some really stupid mistakes in Biochem even though I had read those things ten times...not expecting to do well...:sleep: :rolleyes: :cool:

Hi both of u who took exam yesterday.. Im planning to take my exam sometime soon.. I am so confused knowing that its the same old format for one whereas its a totally new format for the other:confused:
I don't know wat's goin in boards and wat's the new format we need to study..:mad:
Friends, plz keep sharing ur experiences and the information on this.. I appreciate ur help.. good luck:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
All exams starting from 5 feb are the new format, from the official ADA site.

hi thank you for input in this topic ,good luck for result.
can u tell me how many ques where there on senario bases ,is there any ques regarding patient management .is the 400 ques where divided or it was a mixed of all subject .

Hai zdentist,
Thank u so much for sharing your experience.It would be great if u could let me know whether you have taken the exam earlier in the old format and if so how different are the rest of questions apart from the teslets.were there any repetitions at all.It would also be of great help if u could share some questions.Your advice would be of great help for me .
Thank you.

All exams starting from 5 feb are the new format, from the official ADA site.

Thanks for the info.. Can u plz tell wat r the books u read for exams that really helped u?? Its gonna help me in buying the materials for new format..
Thanks and gud luck for ur results..

plz let us know ,which material will help us to do well in this new format.

can u remember any new format q ? please can u post it .
thanks

hi
thank you for posting your experience. did the scenarios and the questions difficutl or easy. the puzzling thing is how is it scored. would appreciate if anyone one could help

I had about 12 testlets each with 5-9 questions, the total questions of testlets were exactly 86.

the exam is 400 questions, subjects are mixed all together.

as for the scoring i hope it would be fair enough in comparison to the difficulty of this new format, i don`t know if there is a curve for scoring or not.

I had about 12 testlets each with 5-9 questions, the total questions of testlets were exactly 86.

the exam is 400 questions, subjects are mixed all together.

as for the scoring i hope it would be fair enough in comparison to the difficulty of this new format, i don`t know if there is a curve for scoring or not.

I had 78 testlet questions today.

the last 40 questions in the first half and the first 38 in the begining of the 2nd half. I think my testlet went up to J. I forget.

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate ur hard work n U prepared just in 30 days .thats remarkable .I studied for 3 months.

I had 78 testlet questions today.

could you please tell me whether or not these testlets are included in the 20% of clinical questions or 80% of old pattern questions.I appreciate your reply.
thanks

The testlets are the clinical. Not so bad. If you payed attention in school they are not bad.

first of all, the new format made the exam more difficult , a scenario is given then followed by questions concerning this scenario, the questions are either correlated to each other or not. As for me, i felt that these testlets were the most difficult part of the exam.

The rest of the exam wasn`t what i expected, many questions about things i`ve never heard about before! i had to guess alot, many questions on xerostomia, autoimmune diseases, detailed info in embryology, had no pistures at all,Dental anatomy was as usuall the best & easieist part.

At the end of the exam i had about 170 MARKED questions which i don`t know weather right or wrong, the rest 230 questions i think 90% correct.

I don`t know if i could pass the exam or not, i feel i made very bad, marking 170 questions is alot i think. Anyone out there who took the exam, please tell me if you felt the same.?

Lastly, if there is anyone who took the same exam of mine, please share your thoughts.

i want to know how long you studied and what did you study?are decks enough? thanks

Last edited:
thanks very much for your reply.i truely appreciate it .I have one more question for you ,if went wrong for one question in the testlet then are we loosing whole 1 mark or the fraction of 1 mark.if it is a fraction then how we know how much we are loosing? I appreciate your time

saryu

Hi
I am new to USA and this forum,could you please guide how to start preparing for NBDE ,what are the requirements like toefl,EE........study material for NBDE....thanks!

There is NO loosing marks AT ALL if you answered a wrong answer.

about the testlets, i think 99% of them were clinical based

There is NO loosing marks AT ALL if you answered a wrong answer.

about the testlets, i think 99% of them were clinical based

can you eloberate it a lilltle bit more about your reply.wht i undestood is if you go wrong in 1question in the testlet we wont loose marks that means do we have go wrong any required questions in each testlet to loose 1 mark ,is that correct?

hey wat are testlets were can i prepare 4 them are there any books to read them are they mostly on o path :p

hey,
i agree with every statement made by zdentist... i had the same disastrous experience... i had 2007 dental decks and kaplans.. it was really difficult.. hope to get a fair score......

hey... zdentist, sunny and sara.riazi... nebody with results... i had emailed thm... thy said it can take 3 4 weeks... i guess zdentist is done with 4 weeks now... does anybody hav their results,,,

Y is the ADA doing this to us... poor innocent souls......

dear ,
I m also waiting for my result.do any one of u have an idea if they gonna post it or email it .As I live in London I believe It will take time 2 reach me .

hi all,
i took my nbde in nov, 2006. i was interviewed by bu. but i havent heard from them yet. so i m in a dilema if i have to retake part 1 to improve my score. i m not so sure abt the new format. i dunno if the same prep material used for the old format is really enough for the new one. is any other material necessary? experienced people plz shed some light on this plz.

4 weeks and a day since i took the exam & still no results yet!
anyone got the results , or even know someone got the results of the new format???

ditto zdentist... 4 weedks and a day more now.... still no idea... wat wud be our results........:confused:

Hi,
It's 19 days and no result yet,but I think the reason of this delay is that they don't have enough scores to compare them to each other and put it on the curve.Since we're scored compared to other test takers there should be enough test takers . Do you have any Idea why is it so?

any one got the result or even heard someoneelse got the result of new version please post itttttttttt!
I need to know how do they score it!

hey zdentist and dentaldork did u guys call the ada and find out why u have'nt received ur results yet?

hi. i agree . the new format is the hardest exam i do in whole my dental life. i marked alot. i feel as i am talking medical exam not dental . any way . hope i will pass. i do all the realsed unrelased exam. the is no repated at all. z dentist we are in the same boat. let me know about u score. i hope u will pass with great score . dont give up. good luck all

hi. i agree . the new format is the hardest exam i do in whole my dental life. i marked alot. i feel as i am talking medical exam not dental . any way . hope i will pass. i do all the realsed unrelased exam. the is no repated at all. z dentist we are in the same boat. let me know about u score. i hope u will pass with great score . dont give up. good luck all
hi tom_24 after reading ur post i'm really worried abt this new format..some got questions from old papers and some even don't get any... tats really hard to figure out what to study and what extra u need to do to take this exam, i mean wat extra to study ..can u plz help by telling tat just doing kaplan book ,dental decks , 10 yr questions r really enough to appear for this new format? and can u remember how many questions u get on ethics and patient management and do we had to study pathology with treatment also..and also have u ever given nbd-1 before , with old format?? i 'll be really greatful if u answer these questions..

hi. i believe this new format is hard for all of us. coz its new kind of q specially the clinical stuff . its need more than 1 min to slove. coz u need to read the medical history of the patient first . then u need to anserwer the q. and that wast my time alot. its need more than 1 min to solve every clinical q . if i retake the exam. i will try to manage my time specially in this kind of q. belive me its not hard. but just because its new type and we are not preparing or having realsed exam like new format. even pilot exam.before my exam i did it many time. and i score with pilot 2004 (89) . my advice to u and for any 1 in new format. its to mange u time . because time mangemnt is the big problem . that wat i believe
. then dont worry about the patient mangment / dental ethics . u can download from (http://deckscorp.com/Professional Ethics and Patient Management.pdf
its only about 4 q for this stuff.
again. its not hard. but its time consuming. i belive if i take again. i will do better. i wish that i dont need to retake. plz if u have and other q. dont hesitate to ask me .
good luck .

thanx tom_24 , thanx u for ur help ..i have asked u this question earlier also tat do we have to study patho with treatment for important topics ? one more question like if u got a patient in dental office who is diabetic for example and if he faints or had a syncope while the dental treatment what would be the treatment plan? i just want to know tat do u get these type of questions in ur exam and if yes how many u got in ur exam ?? have u had any experience with this crack the nbde questions or have heard abt it ..r they worth buying?? have utaken nbd-1 earlier with old pattern??thanx again for the help

hi there. i depend 90 % on dental deck , i read some topic (patholgy/micro) kaplen note. i believe dental deck its not enough . in clinical stuff. u have to be very good in ( patient compromised ) like asthma patient, diabetic ,TB,any kind of syncope . any dental emergency in dental work u should be very good with it . actually this my first experience in NBDE . always first experience not eassy. wish me luck in my score. and again. if u have any q. dont hesitate to ask me.
good luck :thumbup:

hay again. about crack the NBDE/ actually i hear about it. but i was have to time . but if they simulate the exam same way as real. that is good point. try to find any 1 use it. so if u have enough time. its well help u at least in manage u time .
good luck

hi
did u recive ur score? i took my exam on 16th and mine was a little tough too.. and looking at the changed score pattern i feel imay not score enough as this is my reatake with my prior score being---89.....huh i feel crazy whether my decisison of reatking was wise enough.pl let us know ur score. good luck to you.......

hay again. about crack the NBDE/ actually i hear about it. but i was have to time . but if they simulate the exam same way as real. that is good point. try to find any 1 use it. so if u have enough time. its well help u at least in manage u time .
good luck
thanx tom_24 for ur help..ur information relieved my tension ..thank u and all the best for ur result .:thumbup: .do post ur score when ever u get it ...

hi there. we are in the same boat.. mine exam too was sooo tough . i marked alot. and thers no repeated at all. even in testles q . so diffcult and i marked more than 120 q. some student say its easy and alot of repeated . ut mine no. i study all realesd exam, dental deck, most kaplen , in day of exam. make no sense . i was well prepared . so plz intellidentia and z dentsit. if u got u score plz tell me. i really cant sleep . thank u so much :scared:

after 6 weeks,i got my results today:
comp score 82
raw score: anatomy 60
bio/phy 68
mic/path 68
dental 77

congratulation zdentist. i really happy for u . coz i read all u post. and u was too worried , believe me for new format 82 its good. and when we all apply for dental school, they should know about the new format and how the student score.i give my exam in 3/15 and still waiting my score. i am too worry too. coz i marked alot. i cant wait to know my result , pray for me all :scared: