Took step today, feels like I bombed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dcnetsfan77

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is something that has been discussed a fair amount but I REALLY feel like I just bombed Step 1.

I took it today and it seemed like a mix of Uworld, NBME, and questions that seemed like they were written in Egyptian hieroglyphics (but a solid amount of them)..

I was shooting for at least a 240+ but it just seems like thats such a reach now. Can anyone relate? Is this a normal feeling? Anyone else feel like this then get the score they wanted?

For reference:
UW 1: 222 (4.5 weeks out)
NBME 18: 228 (3 weeks out)
NBME 19: 238 (2 weeks out- consensus is most people said theyve done ~10 points higher on the real deal bc the curve on this one is tough, but im not sure)
UW 2: 249 (1 week out)

Uworld Q Bank %: ~75% (completed)
Kaplan Q Bank % ~ 80% (completed)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I know this is something that has been discussed a fair amount but I REALLY feel like I just bombed Step 1.

I took it today and it seemed like a mix of Uworld, NBME, and questions that seemed like they were written in Egyptian hieroglyphics (but a solid amount of them)..

I was shooting for at least a 240+ but it just seems like thats such a reach now. Can anyone relate? Is this a normal feeling? Anyone else feel like this then get the score they wanted?

For reference:
UW 1: 222 (4.5 weeks out)
NBME 18: 228 (3 weeks out)
NBME 19: 238 (2 weeks out- consensus is most people said theyve done ~10 points higher on the real deal bc the curve on this one is tough, but im not sure)
UW 2: 249 (1 week out)

Uworld Q Bank %: ~75% (completed)
Kaplan Q Bank % ~ 80% (completed)

Had very similar feeling! Also hoping to get >240.
My practice scores were also encouraging.
So many of the questions seemed unreal and less than a week from the test I can already remember at least 10 mistakes I have made. And I am sure I have made MUCH more than that, probably >30 if not more. I suppose most people feel that way, in fact almost everyone is saying the same nowadays!
So I guess the curve has to be quite a bit gentler than on the NBMEs? I mean I doubt anyone can get >95%; can hardly imagine anyone getting even 90% of those questions right!

My practice scores were 250/260s and I thought the test was very difficult, more difficult than UW and NBME 18/19. I marked a decent amount of questions, many of which I felt I narrowed down to 2 and made a best guess on. That didn't leave me very confident about it. Who knows what will happen. I definitely don't feel like I got near my practice scores but I think a lot of us feel the same way. We will see in a few weeks.

Interesting, im wondering if they give out the same test in batches since im assuming we all took it around the same time..one of my friends who took it about a month ago had a very different experience and said it was really easy and straightforward

Man if you guys were saying this and scoring 240s and 250s on nbmes I feel like hope is loss for me. What do you think you could have done to be more prepared? More uworld? An extra first aid pass? More nbmes? Another qbank?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Man if you guys were saying this and scoring 240s and 250s on nbmes I feel like hope is loss for me. What do you think you could have done to be more prepared? More uworld? An extra first aid pass? More nbmes? Another qbank?

thats the thing man, i did 2 full Q banks, FA like 3x through, Anki cards all day, sketchy 3x through i mean what else does NBME want from me!

In case you guys were still following this, ended up w. a 239. So good news- didnt fail; bad news- im dissapointed in myself, feeling like some doors are closed now, and 1 point away from that 240 mark that is apparently so magical =/

Forget the score you prepped hard and you should be very proud.

No doors are closed not sure what field you’re interested in but continue your passion. Network, research, determination, and a little bit of luck and you’ll be successful!