Top 10 Drugs in America

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
List seems pretty much what I would expect. Didn't think amlodipine would be that high though, or that metoprolol would be absent from the list. Aside from that, seems right.

Members don't see this ad :)
Compare that to the U.K. data:

chart

I think it's interesting that plain APAP seemingly replaces hydrocodone-APAP on the list, while the rest of the chart looks pretty similar. It's also interesting that aspirin makes their list, but not ours. I suppose this relates to our differences in prescription insurance to some degree, but I doubt that accounts for everything.

chart

I think it's interesting that plain APAP seemingly replaces hydrocodone-APAP on the list, while the rest of the chart looks pretty similar. It's also interesting that aspirin makes their list, but not ours. I suppose this relates to our differences in prescription insurance to some degree, but I doubt that accounts for everything.

I think I read somewhere that 99% of the world's hydrocodone supply was consumed by the United States.

It must be painful being a Yank.

Maybe people get prescriptions for acetaminophen because that way, the NHS will pay for it?

It was quite a wild goose chase to find that chart, but both #1 drugs (sales and number of prescriptions) have been in that position for quite some time. I was personally not surprised at all.

I had a patient from the UK tell me that paracetamol/acetaminophen can only be purchased in fairly limited quantities OTC over there. She was unsure of the exact amount, but thought the limit was either 16 or 32 tablets.

She was SHOCKED that we stocked 1,000 count bottles.

For the record, I'm just outside of Orlando, FL, in an area frequented by British tourists for the summer.

I've read something similar. They must have a vaccination for chronic lower back pain and fibromyalgia across the pond.

I have an online friend on another website who was given diamorphine (heroin) while in labor. She said it was some good stuff, too! :eek:

How long do you guys think it will take atorvastatin to overtake simvastatin once it goes generic at the end of the year?

chart

I find it interesting that they have ~35-40m for simva, and a combined 35-40 for PPIs, including both ompeprazole and lansoprazole, while the US had 83-94m and 45-53m, respectively. Compare that to the fact that the UK has ~61.8 million people against USA's 312 million, and maybe we're not the "unhealthiest eaters in the world" after all.

I find it interesting that they have ~35-40m for simva, and a combined 35-40 for PPIs, including both ompeprazole and lansoprazole, while the US had 83-94m and 45-53m, respectively. Compare that to the fact that the UK has ~61.8 million people against USA's 312 million, and maybe we're not the "unhealthiest eaters in the world" after all.

The British are not known for excellence in the culinary arts.
Beer- yes; food- no.

That's a pretty good point. At least for the simvastatin, though, I think it comes down to access to care. Through the NHS, people get routine screenings at no cost. I'd argue that they're simply more likely to get diagnosed with lipid disorders and therefore more likely to be prescribed an antilipemic.

PPIs on the other hand are probably related to fried fish wrapped in newspaper. Or beer for lunch.

Dude...tramadol was NOT on the top ten list. Pay attention!!

NOTE: That post doesn't seem like it makes sense...there was a spam ad for cheap tramadol right before this post that got pulled.

Last edited:
I think I read somewhere that 99% of the world's hydrocodone supply was consumed by the United States.

It must be painful being a Yank.

That may have been from one of my posts - I've posted that stat a couple of times on SDN.

To reiterate, the US has ~ 5% of the world's population, but consumes 85-90% of the world's opioids, and 99% of the world's hydrocodone supply. It comes from this article in Pain Physician Journal.

That may have been from one of my posts - I've posted that stat a couple of times on SDN.

To reiterate, the US has ~ 5% of the world's population, but consumes 85-90% of the world's opioids, and 99% of the world's hydrocodone supply. It comes from this article in Pain Physician Journal.

That's all well and dandy. Did you know that Canada has < 1% of the world's population, but consumes 99% of the world's Molson supply?

You and your super-polite brethren are no better!! :D