Top 10 Interview Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dennisDDS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found this website that has top 10 interview questions... As a re-applicant I noticed that some of these questions were in fact asked.

So I copied and pasted the information here for all of us to enjoy.
Thanks to whoever Pank is for making the website...!

Link is here.. : http://www.medabroad.info/2009/08/top-10-interview-questions-dental.html

1. So tell me a little about yourself.
(tell about yourself, extra curriculars:
This is the only time that you can tell about yourself
and dont tell your achievements yet)

2. Why do you want to be a dentist?
(your SOP can be a guiding factor here:
Trick is to Be True in your SOP)

3. Have you had any experience with dentistry?
(Mention your previous experiences,
including research and clinical experiences, camps etc.)

4. What differentiates you from the rest of the applicants?
(Your potential and caliber: Don't Lie)

5. I like you and this all sounds great, but what can I go back and tell the admissions committee that will convince them that we want you in our upcoming class?
(your One liner that is catchy and yet fulfilling)

6. Why did you apply to our Dental school?
(read about the school and find about it..
see what is important to school's philosophies: Be Prepared)

7. What other Dental schools have you applied to?
(Dont Lie:
They know that everybody applies to various schools and
Be prepared with the next question that is
why you want to join this particular school??)

8. Have you had any other interviews at other schools?
(Dont Lie:
They know that everybody applies to various schools..
Be prepared with the next question:
why you want to join this particular school??)

9. What type of dental program are you interested in?
( Compare two general types of school programs like
Case-Based and Practical or Clinic Oriented)

10.What did you think about our school (ie. facilities, program)?
(read about the school and find about it..
see what is important to school's philosophies)

1. Can you explain the (A-F) grade you received in this class? OR Your grades slipped in particular semester, any reason?

( I was amazed how these questions are so accurate. I was asked exactly the same question. You have to be convincing. My answer was

Click Read More below

"It was in Bio-statistics and since the subject is more class oriented,
and the course was online, so I was not able to do good.
All my other grades are good".

12. In the past, what has happened to you that has made the biggest impact on your life?

(Talk about one of your experience- Your SOP will help you in answering this especially if you are applying to BU,Boston University. You may talk about
your childhood experience, your ortho treatment,
any accident that changed your views towards Dentistry,
anything that may be inspiring )

13. We noticed you withdrew from a class, why?

( You will wonder when and how would they even come to know. Simple, they have asked for your transcript of MPH, MHA etc whatever you are doing. The answers will vary dependent on the course you withdrew.. you may say that you were not convinced about its usefulness, and lack of my interest, prioritization for other important topics etc.Please note your answer will guide your Interviewer to ask you more specific questions. You should steer the Interview by dropping some ideas that take your interviewer in the desired direction)

14. Dentists require a great deal of hand coordination. Do you have any relevant experience?

(Talk about your enriching clinical experience. -
Please note some of you might really have a lot of experience. Good for you but you have to be concise and you should be able to speak about your experience in as few lines as possible with as much impact as possible- like, 3 yrs of clinical experience along with 2 years in hospital based experience totalling 5 years. If he asks then you may mention the important work you actually did. Please make sure that the college Philosophy is very important in such a question.-- Like some colleges, as i see UCSF doesnot give more experience in Oral Surgery during your DDS so talking a lot about OS will not be very effective)

15. Do you think the role of a Dentist has changed, and how so?

( You may say it has changed from extraction to preventive based,
better equipments, better diagnostic facilities,
Fluoride introduction has reduced caries )

16. How did your friends/family react to your interest in Dentistry?

( It can be a positive point for you to mention that your parents are dentists, or any experience that has convinced them that Dentistry has done wonders for you personally or your relatives)

17. Do you have any friends or family who are Dentists?

( See above)

18. Do you have any plans after graduation?

( I will say the there is no correct answer for this- coz this is tricky-- you may ask why? if you say you want to do M.S. then they can catch you how would you pay the loan- the huge loan that you would take to pay the tuition fees etc.... and
If you say that you want to join a practice- it may give them a reason that you are not interested in learning.
The idea is to keep a great balance of both: "Earning for a year or two and then joining an M.S. program is what you would prefer but make sure your choice of M.S. is justified- either by experience or by a confirmed interest)

19. What would make you happy 10 years from now?
( its the same question as above )

20. If you had to change anything about yourself, what would it be?

( Speak something that has a "positively negative" impact on you--
eg: You may want to say..I work too hard at times that I may not take care of my health and sleep :) )

21. How do you spend your free time? OR What do you do to relax?

( You know what to do.. Don't lie!
unless you know about the sports and extra curricular you talking about, which is impossible and hence really not recommended)

Other Questions that may be asked are::
What would you say was the best day or experience you ever had?
How do you see yourself, what are your good characteristics?
How do you think the Dental profession has changed over the last 25 years?
What book have you read recently?
Who is your favorite author?
What types of books do you enjoy reading?
If you could meet anybody, in all of history, and eat dinner with them, who would it be?
What do you do when you are stressed out?
What would you say is a weak area that you'd like to improve on yourself?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Good advice on how to answer these questions. There's one common interview question that is left out:

Where do your see yourself 10 years from now?

I've had this question in two of my interviews thus far.

Last edited:
So... we're not supposed to talk about our achievements in tell me about yourself? When I answered that question, I talked about my achievements, both academic and extracurricular, and how I've matured over the years.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah I think the guy meant sop as like your personal statement..

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you very much!! This is very helpful!
Thanks Tothfairy..
I am glad you like it..
For inspiring some new comers, http://ow.ly/3anrt

Its one of the only real and AUthentic interviews on experience in getting in DDS

its inspiring in its own way..

Things will Happen, if YOU want it to Happen!!

STICK ON GUYS!!

All my best wishes to all the people who are waiting for the interviews.

and yes Happy New Year and Happy Holidays!!

Relax and Pray..Good things will happen to all of US!!

mdumb though!!

-Can you name 3 strengths and 3 weaknesses?

-Is there any question you wanted us to have asked you? is so, what is it?

-Whats one negative aspect you've seen or identified with dentistry (and don't tell me you cant find any, every job has at least one weakness)?

-What do you believe is the most important thing a dentist should/must posses to make himself a great dentist?

-Between the list of schools you've applied to you, how will you decide which one to attend if (say for example) all of them accepted you?

-What would you do if you found out a classmate (a close friend of yours) got a hold of an unauthorized previous-year exam and is going to use it to study?

-If the entire class decided to memorize at least one question from each exam so that they can recollect all the exam questions together and re-create the exam afterwards, what would you do in such situation?

That's a good list of questions.

Am I the only one that was thinking standard operating procedure when reading SOP? I guess that's what happens when you work in a lab for so long.

Members don't see this ad :)
The suggested response of saying "gee golly I just work to hard" isn't very convincing. To me - you should be able to come up with a real weakness (that isn't a deal breaker) and mention how you are trying to overcome it.

If I was interviewing someone and they said they worked to hard I would call BS and ask for another weakness.

1.Many see dentistry as a cosmetic field, how do you perceive dentistry? As an elective or necessary field?

2. It's finals week, you have just taken an exam and have another in about 15 minutes. You are extremely stressed out, what do you do to calm down?

3. If your parents are in any other healthcare field, be prepared to defend why you did or did not follow in their footsteps lol I did this on multiple interviews :)

hey everyone I have an interview over a week from now. I know I should be completely honest for these interviews but I dont want to sound insincere. If they ask me a question about some of my not too good grades, my genuine reply is that I had trouble understanding it and I was prideful too ask for help. Does anybody have any advice because I know my answer is a bit bland

The suggested response of saying "gee golly I just work to hard" isn't very convincing. To me - you should be able to come up with a real weakness (that isn't a deal breaker) and mention how you are trying to overcome it.

If I was interviewing someone and they said they worked to hard I would call BS and ask for another weakness.

Anyone want to offer some great weaknesses???:)

hey everyone I have an interview over a week from now. I know I should be completely honest for these interviews but I dont want to sound insincere. If they ask me a question about some of my not too good grades, my genuine reply is that I had trouble understanding it and I was prideful too ask for help. Does anybody have any advice because I know my answer is a bit bland

thats not a good answer at all. This is a professional grade education, leave "personal pride" out..... They can easily counter your answer and say "some of our students struggle their first couple months of dental school... so according to you, you will not ask for help even if it leads you to being kicked out of the program?"

a better response would be the REAL truth "I made a mistake in not taking my classes as seriously as I should have, and it led to poor marks.... a costly mistake that I will never repeat again"

wow I can't believe you guys still read this stuff I haven't been on this site for over 6months Good luck to all those interviewing I wish you the best if you have any questions please feel free to email me and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

wow I can't believe you guys still read this stuff I haven't been on this site for over 6months Good luck to all those interviewing I wish you the best if you have any questions please feel free to email me and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

"wow I can't believe you guys still read this stuff">> I am not sure what you mean by your line...
I fail to understand.. AM i missing something?:):D

coz mdumb ?

For those if you find out your classmate has obtained an unauthorized test from previous year, and if the whole class wants to recollect the exam by each memorizing one question, what are some acceptable answers? or is there only ONE answer, talk to them and talk to the faculty
honestly, i might try to talk them out of it, and if they dont take my advice, i'll not cheat myself but im not sure if i would tell the faculty. should i EVER say that?

I'm glad someone bumped this...good thread!

For those if you find out your classmate has obtained an unauthorized test from previous year, and if the whole class wants to recollect the exam by each memorizing one question, what are some acceptable answers? or is there only ONE answer, talk to them and talk to the faculty
honestly, i might try to talk them out of it, and if they dont take my advice, i'll not cheat myself but im not sure if i would tell the faculty. should i EVER say that?

An answer I would give for the unauthorized test question:
- Approach your friend and say that you understand he's in possession of unauthorized aids
- Tell him you understand that he may be under extreme pressure to do well, and you sympathize with his urge to turn to less than savoury methods of achieving the grades he wishes to achieve
- Emphasize, however, that in cheating he is not really being honest to himself, the school, the course or the professor
- Make sure he understands that you will NOT turn him in specifically to anyone, because that would break the trust you have developed with him in friendship; you must value his privacy and autonomy
- Encourage him to not use the test and to turn it in to his professor HIMSELF, advising him that there is an unauthorized aid floating around (this is a positive moral position; you understand that others may have access to the same test and as a result the integrity of the test is compromised. respect the academic environment you're in and uphold your standards as a student... it is also a way of emphasizing to your friend that you believe he should take responsibility for his own actions)
- Offer to help him study or to find him tutoring options if he feels he is struggling (show sympathy and a willingness to help; encourage him to pursue legitimate, alternative options)
- If he refuses to listen to you, wishes to use the test and refuses to turn it in or inform the professor, tell him that you have to inform the professor that such a test exists because as students, you have a moral and academic obligation to respect the system that is helping you achieve your dreams
- Do NOT rat your friend out; rather, help him understand your point of view and work with him to come to terms with what you've had to do
- This way you not only keep your friend out of trouble for a mistake he may not have made otherwise (ie. maybe he's stressed, trouble at home, deadlines coming up etc.) and maintain that integrity and trust in your relationship, but also respect the academic process without hurting anyone in particular

Just my two cents. It's a long answer but I think it covers most aspects of the situation.

Reactions: 4 users
hmmm i never realized that theres another option of informing the faculty without naming individuals! but i like it! thanks!

this has been very helpful

hmmm i never realized that theres another option of informing the faculty without naming individuals! but i like it! thanks!

No prob. :) I think it's a happy medium that respects all sides. The faculty/course administration has an obligation to know about this sort of thing, but you don't want to break the trust with your friend nor do you want to pin everything on him. If you can understand their actions and put a barrier between him/her and any collateral damage that might be caused by informing authority, then do so. Taking one side completely is too extreme; it shows that you are inflexible and too principled. You're going to be a health professional, so you have to be good at understanding different viewpoints, as well as satisfying them.

Great thread thanks for bumping this up!

You WILL be asked many of these questions in interviews - I'd definitely read them over and start developing a little collection of things to talk about in your mind. Think about the experiences you've undergone, and how they've helped you develop skills that will ultimately make you a better dentist. No one likes a scripted answer, but I think building a general outline of these experiences in your head will help you deliver the information you want to deliver more eloquently.

So...for the books question, I don't really remember the last book I've read that wasn't a text book or magazine...how would I answer those?