Top 20 Ophthalmology Residency Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Could someone who recently went to the USC interview comment on the status of their ophtho program in terms of the faculty movement (or lack thereof) and where the program appears to be headed to in the next 5-10 years?

Members don't see this ad.

Could someone who recently went to the USC interview comment on the status of their ophtho program in terms of the faculty movement (or lack thereof) and where the program appears to be headed to in the next 5-10 years?

Some faculty are leaving, some are not, no specific names were mentioned because things are probably not finalized yet. When some leave, new faculty will be recruited. Nonetheless, the residents have been reassured that their education is a priority and their experience at LA County is not changing, which is where they get their most valuable training anyway. They are at LA County 4 days a week during their 1st year, 1 day a week during their 2nd year (with the rest of the time being at the faculty practice and the VA), and "practically all the time" their 3rd year.

I hope this is an accurate summary of what they told us on interview day. If someone else has more info please correct me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with #1-7. I wouldn't include Columbia, Cornell, NYEEI, UCSF or U. Washington in the top 20. I think Oklahoma, Utah, Casey, UIC and Kresge belong on the list. Emory, Michigan and Baylor should also be higher.

Why wouldn't you include UCSF in the top 20? (Whatever "the top 20" means to you. In other words, what are the pros and cons of UCSF in your opinion, and how do you know?)

Any thoughts on where Georgetown ranks? Would be great if any previous residents from Georgetown could chime in as well.

I don't think no one knows how the residency program is going to change until everything is finalized. Yes the residents get most of their training at the la county. But who is going to train them? I say big part of the training comes from the fellows and the chief resident and volunteer staff. Depending how many faculty leaves the fellowship might transfer with Doheny as well. Which means usc may not have fellows for the first few years. Yes they will recruit new faculty but I say most the faculty do not spend significant time at la county.

I'm sure you will get a good training at USC but there will be many bumps and uncertainty through this transition and the first few years. Just keep that in mind when looking into USC.

Re: USC ophtho program

Sweet. Thanks guys.

Hi, does anybody know how many candidates do programs rank? (for example if they had 42 interviewing) Do they rank them all? Also what are the chances of matching with only 2 interviews? does it make a difference if I rank my programs 1 or 2?

Thanks!