MD Top 20 WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thegoatis11

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I'm creating my school list and would really appreciate general & adcom advice about my chances at the great research institutions . ECs general and stats slightly modified for anonymity. Any/all feedback is appreciated! (Used WedgeDawg for list)

State: CA ORM
School: Top 25
Major: Biology
cGPA: 3.83
sGPA: 3.9

MCAT: 524 (130/130/132/132)

Research: 2 years in one lab
- No posters or pubs primarily due to the trial-and-error + long run nature of the research (1 "trial" takes roughly 6 months), but highly independent project
- Publication expected but nowhere close to app cycle and I don't want to take a gap year just for the CHANCE of a pub
- Strong LOR + VERY comfortable/enthusiastic talking about my projects if at the interview stage

Clinical: Volunteer medical assistant with homeless/low-income primarily hispanic populations (300 hrs) + 100 hrs primary care shadowing

Non-clinical: 600 hrs working with homeless/low-income populations in my school and hometowns

Editor for school newspaper (250 hrs) + lead TA (500 hrs)

Current Career Goals: Urban environment physician (translation: hopefully with lots of homeless/low-income people!) doing clinical research (but not quite the 80/20 expected of MD/PhDs; I like people more than I do research though it's close)

List:

UMich
Hopkins
Duke
Columbia
Penn
UChicago
NYU
WashU (St. Louis)
UCLA
UCSF
Stanford
Yale
Northwestern
UVA
Pitt
Cornell
Mt Sinai
Case
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCSD
BU
Ohio State
USC
Cincy
Rochester
Stony Brook
Hofstra
SUNY Downstate
Einstein
Penn State

Overall, my life goals are to be a skilled and caring physician which doesn't exactly require attending a top research institution (which I feel like I often forget lol). If any of the schools on my list don't seem to fit my "theme" as well as I think, please let me know! (Stanford is one, but I promised people close to me I'd apply there)
Chances are excellent.

Members don't see this ad :)
The world is your oyster,however You might get yield protected from some of the lower tier schools.

If working in an urban environment is a priority, chop off Penn St. Would be wasting your time and theirs most likely. Replace it with Rush or Tufts, something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.