Top 5 reasons why your MCAT score was low

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1.) Redbull before test made me crash by the BS section
2.) Hated having my fingers violated by the electronic scanner
3.) Flirting with a cute girl between sections
4.) No prep course (maybe this would have hurt my score!?)
5.) My psychologist had a heart attack whilst hypnotizing me into not caring about the test and I was in a state of permanent apathy.

Members don't see this ad.

1. My best friend died before the exam.

2. Had to take care of my ailing mom.

3. Didn't study enough.

4. Couldn't sleep the night before.

5. Kaplan

I was not able to use a Pen. I had my lucky pen. They did not let me use my pen. I wanted my Pen to be with me during the test. They did not allow me to have my blue bic ball point pen that I liked to chew on when I was studying...my favorite was to pop out that little end piece and chew on it and then put it back into the pen.
Pen_Bic_Blue.jpg

lol

Members don't see this ad :)
1.) Redbull before test made me crash by the BS section
2.) Hated having my fingers violated by the electronic scanner
3.) Flirting with a cute girl between sections
4.) No prep course (maybe this would have hurt my score!?)
5.) My psychologist had a heart attack whilst hypnotizing me into not caring about the test and I was in a state of permanent apathy.

lol that's hilarious.

I started to think like an overconfident douche after three weeks of studying. 36 average on practice exams? I got this man, I got this. Ended up with 33 and had to take it again to get 36.

1. a cold
2. a cold
3. a cold
4. 3 hours of sleep
5. Finger scan = a waste time

I started to think like an overconfident douche after three weeks of studying. 36 average on practice exams? I got this man, I got this. Ended up with 33 and had to take it again to get 36.

intense.

1. its because you took it when you weren't ****ing ready!

I don't get why Kaplan gets hated on so much here. I would list Kaplan as #1 on my list of reasons I f*cking owned the MCAT.

Kaplan sucks in comparison to other test prep companies. Kaplan will improve your score, but most people agree, that other companies like TBR/ExamKrackers/TPR have much better prep books and classes, which should improve your score even more.

1. I forgot my study material at my house the night before the test, so I couldn't do any last minute prep with the notes I had wanted to skim (equations, mnemonics). Just had to have confidence and wing it.

2. I thought I was solid on the writing sample and I didn't prepare for it well.

3. I misinterpreted the first passage of the PS section right when the test started and I missed all of the questions (like 4 Q's). I would have aced the PS otherwise b/c I don't think I missed anything else. I figured out my mistake during the writing sample. It was about molecular weights and stuff :oops: how dumb.

4. If I had taken several more practice tests, I would have been more solid on the verbal section and I would have had my timing down better.

5. I let the PS mistake plague my mind throughout BS after figuring it out during the writing. As a result, I was having trouble thinking during the BS and I forgot how many passages there were. I thought I was done with BS with a few seconds left, but I clicked next and there was another passage! "Crap!" I managed 2 guesses but I had to leave a couple blank at the end because the time ran out and the test closed. I didn't even get to read that last passage.

I came out smelling like a rose though.

you got a 39.......

STFU

Gosh - I love that all the 30+ people are posting in this thread :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't get why Kaplan gets hated on so much here. I would list Kaplan as #1 on my list of reasons I f*cking owned the MCAT.

It's because Kaplan sucks... People like you would've owned the MCAT whether they used kaplan, EK, TBR, or whatever the hell it is that they could get their hands on...

but then again, to each their own...

you got a 39.......

STFU

dude I was just giving people hope by showing how bad s#*@ can happen and you can do well. most people are giving bologna answers in this thread anyway...

1) Kaplan class (waste of time since the teacher knew less than I did)
2) Tough to sleep the night of the test
3) verbal
4) passages required NO science knowledge
5) PEOPLE ON SDN WHO POST IN THREADS LIKE THESE WITH 35+ SAYING THEY DID BAD

talk about a confidence killer :(

1. should have used TBR
2. should have done more timed passages
3. should have done more problems
4. should have spent less time memorizing stuff
5. should have worked on being less stressed out

1. Kaplan
2. Kaplan
3. took it during the finals week
4. had to drive there which took an hour
5. Kaplan (again)

1. summer in a beach/college town is too relaxing
2. weed
3. tried to make myself get up everyday for two weeks at 7am to be prepared, just ended up sleep deprived
4. should have actually practiced the writing section
5. I was supposed to take the test 3 weeks earlier, but when I showed up, I had actually entered my name incorrectly, so I couldn't take it :mad: I was so ready at that point, and it was hard to get myself motivated for 3 more weeks

I was too caught up in the glitz and glamour of all that is the MCAT.

After seeing the error in my ways, the second time around I will opt not to wear the stunner shades, armani boots, and 100 percent silk shirt - which incidentally does not breath very well at all-.

Im going in this time with sweats and a smile.

Ok seriously though it was just luck. And I am hoping for better the next time around although my first score of a 27 B: 9 P: 8 V: 10 W: R isnt so bad, it isnt so great either.

1. Switching to night shift just before I took the MCAT... an absolute killer.
2. Not being on my mental "A" game during the test because of #1
3. I didn't study hard enough
4. I didn't study hard enough
5. See numbers 3 and 4.

1. burned out 2 weeks before the test, didn't touch material after that
2. formally charged of fraud by my university 2 days before the test
3. boyfriend
4. lazy summer days
5. tenants we were subletting from forgot to turn off their cable tv... :(

yo... wtf is all this kaplan hate, I'm taking a kaplan class now to take the exam in 2 months.... im getting scared s**tless!

1) Over-confidence
2) No willingness to study
3) Always sucked at VR
4) Gears Of War
5) Guilt of not studying

yo... wtf is all this kaplan hate, I'm taking a kaplan class now to take the exam in 2 months.... im getting scared s**tless!

the problem with Kaplan/TPR (as a TPR instructor) is that many students rigidly follow and only follow the company syllabus. You have to do more (not really more, but you have to study efficiently) to do better.

Material wise, almost all companies write the same ****. They pay students to write the content. You can assume they tweek it from a different source. These students do not really have to take the MCAT, have a certain score, or be accepted at a med school. You just have to be needed. Some of the exams/questions on kaplan or TPR suck.

If you have the pre-reqs and do the AAMC practice exams and REALLY go over them, you will be fine. Kaplan provides some good resources/qbank.

1. Megan Fox
2. Jessica Alba
3. Jessica Biel
4. Scarlett Johansson
5. Odette Yustman

1. The last two weeks before the MCAT I actually started studying for the USMLE.
2. I relied on my uncle who works at the AAMC to "fix" my score, but apparently he's just a janitor.
3. Nobody told me about the physical sciences section.
4. I checked "no" on whether my scores should be released to my school, and when you do that they don't release your scores at all.
5. I was hungover for all of my practice tests, but not on the real thing.

1) thought it was gonna be a breeze like the SAT
2) therefore I didn't study
3) took a practice exam 2 weeks before for the hell of it
4) holy **** moment
5) crammed

oh yeah i'm retaking in a few weeks and i will tear this mfer aka MCAT a new one

lol funny thread.

1) verbal
2) verbal
3) verbal
4) verbal
5) intense need to pee during PS section

1. Didn't have nearly the time I wanted to for practice (just 1 month).
2. PS crushed me for some reason. Went from 11-13 on my final five practice tests to a 9 on the real thing.
3. Got nervous after I realized how difficult the PS was.
4. They closed the testing center I was supposed to be at (10 minutes from home). I had to travel three hours to the only open location in the state.

I can't even think of a fifth. But I don't care what my MCAT is. I'm going to my dream school anyways! All I can say is that I know I'm better than what I scored, and I'll prove that during the next four years.

I was getting 37s and wound up with a 26 on the first attempt. Talk about a meltdown.

I was emotionally wrecked during both of mine and had a hard time focusing. (The death of two people very close to me. Each one happened the day before)

too many people smarter than me taking the exam (reason 1 through 5).

1. metal gear solid 4
2. grand theft auto 4
3. team fortress 2
4. civilization 4: beyond the sword
5. warcraft 3 TFT Tower Defense maps

Civ4 is basically a black hole. I've sat behind it at times and realized I had played too much only when I realized it was the next day.

I was not able to use a Pen. I had my lucky pen. They did not let me use my pen. I wanted my Pen to be with me during the test. They did not allow me to have my blue bic ball point pen that I liked to chew on when I was studying...my favorite was to pop out that little end piece and chew on it and then put it back into the pen.
Pen_Bic_Blue.jpg

That's a nice looking pen you got there...

1. Kaplan
2. Allergies(I stayed with people the night before that had a pack of dogs in their house).
3.Little sleep(didn't sleep until midnight)
4. Hunger pains; was worried I might have to go to the rest room during the test, so ate little
5. Composure. It was a hard ass test and I got very nervous.
6. Again, hard ass test and didn't finish it.

Name your top 5 perceived reasons for having a lower than expected MCAT score in order! (if you havent taken it yet just guess)

1. Computer
2. Wii
3. Girl friend
4. alcohol
5. Classes

You can make all the excuses in the world: test was too hard, kaplan, etc. The only thing that is going to get you into the program you are applying to is to improve your score. The only way to do that is by studying the content, having a strategy, and gaining confidence that you are prepared for any topic they throw at you on test day.

Good luck, and I would suggest keeping your eye on the prize.

You can make all the excuses in the world: test was too hard, kaplan, etc. The only thing that is going to get you into the program you are applying to is to improve your score. The only way to do that is by studying the content, having a strategy, and gaining confidence that you are prepared for any topic they throw at you on test day.

Good luck, and I would suggest keeping your eye on the prize.

Give it a rest.

1. Not doing enough verbal/ USING DAM EK101
2. Thinking the TPR class was even mildly helping me- the books rock
3. Got Pneumonia from Jan8- 18- my test was on the 30th
4. A good friend passed away on January 14th
5. I was getting ready to go study abroad on Feb. first

there was too much on my mind I couldnt focus

1. A plane crashed right next to the building I was taking the MCAT in; I had to rush outside to provide some pre-medical doctoring (Don't worry, I'm listing this in my ECs).
2. I was petting my cat the night before when it spontaneously combusted; I had to take the test without my right arm.
3. Every time I sat down to study, something weird happened. I got up, walked away, and studied the way Master Chief downs bad guys.
4. It was my destiny. You know, zen, karma, and Buddha's best friend.
5. I had exactly: 1 aunt, 1 uncle, 2 grandparents, 1 brother, 6 friends, 3 parents, 1 hamster, and 16 ants pass away within 21 years of my test date (oh yeah, don't forget my cat).

1. girlfriend
2. procrasination
3. party
4. gaming
5. didn't study enough

1. you are dumb and think you are smart and overconfident
2. you didn't take a review course
3. you are lazy and pretend to study when you really go online, watch tv, or out
4. the MCAT is insanely hard, they don't want stupid doctors
5. you underestimated how difficult the test would be and made a mistake..

reason i won't do as well as i should....

instead of studying right now, i am doing this.