Top cardiac surgery Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KenMeme

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of ratings for other fellowships but nothing on the cardiac surgery fellowships. what are the very goo/top places for traditional (2- 3 years) cardiac surgery fellowships? This will help applicants know the good places to consider especially as we wont be visiting the programs in-person.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's tough to answer this. I would generally say that you will get adequate training at most places. You have to keep in mind that a lot of the bad programs out there shut down when cardiac surgery went through a lull, and the ones that stuck around were the ones that were generally solid. The ones that re-opened, or recently started have programs where at least the potential is there. There are a handful of places that people will often advise you avoid. But like general surgery, there is going to be a broad definition of what people consider "good training". It depends a lot on the resident and what he or she is trying to get out of the program.

Whilst I understand the idea behind asking this (and having interviews online IS going to change the dynamic), however, in the end, I think the dog and pony show that is presented on interview day, even when its in-person, is of somewhat limited value. The same rules apply, you need to talk to fellows and recent graduates, because the personalities and focus of each program can differ.

I think it's tough to answer this. I would generally say that you will get adequate training at most places. You have to keep in mind that a lot of the bad programs out there shut down when cardiac surgery went through a lull, and the ones that stuck around were the ones that were generally solid. The ones that re-opened, or recently started have programs where at least the potential is there. There are a handful of places that people will often advise you avoid. But like general surgery, there is going to be a broad definition of what people consider "good training". It depends a lot on the resident and what he or she is trying to get out of the program.

Whilst I understand the idea behind asking this (and having interviews online IS going to change the dynamic), however, in the end, I think the dog and pony show that is presented on interview day, even when its in-person, is of somewhat limited value. The same rules apply, you need to talk to fellows and recent graduates, because the personalities and focus of each program can differ.
Nice! in your opinion, which programs would you recommend one to avoid?