top derm residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tryinghard

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey...what are the ranking of the derm residencies..they're 25 right?

gee.say if you're an average student at a 3rd tier school...do you got a chance? like if you keep on trying. i heard some people work in research for a year after med school? will this help a great deal?

Members don't see this ad.

I heard that Faber College of Medicine has a great cosmetology, oops, I mean dermatology residency

hey..is it hard to get into?

can i get it, if i only list derm residencies on the match.
is it possible to do so?

Members don't see this ad :)
where's faber college of medicine?

Try "Animal House".

I doubt that rankings exist for a field that's as competitive as derm, but I know from my fiancee (who will be a PGY-1 next year) that the following programs are among the top nationally...

University of Pennsylvania - oldest department, excellent training
Harvard Medical School - well-balanced program with excellence in medical care and research
Yale Medical School - research and clinical training very good
New York University - largest dermatology program, many fine faculty members
University of Michigan - good research and clinical training
UCSF- good research and clinical experience
U Texas Southwestern- well balanced clinical and research activities
Stanford - new chairman has stabilized the department

To answer your follow-up questions YES it is extremely competitive and YES you will need top scores to match successfully (my fiancee has score >250 on Step I, and attends a top-10 school, which has offered her a position outside the match). Many programs assure their own students spots outside the match (technically illegal, but done), so fewer spots are available than are listed. If you don't already have an 'in' at a program, you'd better be the top of the top.

Lipoyl has posted an excellent reply. Let me just add a few things:

Derm is extremely competitive b/c there are only ~230 spots open/yr. Plus add the fact that some spots will be taken outside the match, it gets even harder.

U of Michigan Derm - one of the largest and most well funded progarms in the country. They have 8 spots/yr (largest # in the country), they get $30 million from a private sector firm for research alone, plus they are top10 in NIH funding.. when you go see the dept u can tell $$ is flowing.

1 question - what does derm "categorical" mean? I saw a bunch of Derm-C spots.. wondering what they are and how they are different from regular derm matches.

I think derm residencies are like medical schools. They are all good. Getting a good training will be depending on your own motivation. :) :laugh: :)