Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Top Equine Vet Schools?

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by chyactnate, Apr 8, 2007.

1. chyactnate

chyactnate SGU SVM c/o 2015!

Veterinary Student
    I am new to this forum and was wondering if you guys could give me any recomendations on really good equine vet schools? I really want to become a equine vet specializing in reproduction. Any info would be great.:D

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. cyrille104

#2 cyrille104, Apr 8, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  4. Bill59

Bill59 Member

... and if you want to specialize in reproduction (theriogenology) you do that with a residency after veterinary school.

5. Pennymare

Pennymare Ohio State Class of 2011

Pre-Veterinary
    Most schools have really good equine programs---suggestions would probably depend on what region you want to be in, I suppose. I would ask schools about their faculty, research, case loads, and facilities if you are concerned about how innovative one school is compared to another or if you specifically one good equine repro people.

Otherwise, a specialization in equine therio will probably only become an issue in choosing a vet school for a residency... So you could start 'shopping' for schools then... or now if you want to stay put for the whole experience, I guess.

Another thing to keep in mind is internships and private breeding farm practices after vet school if you don't want to do a residency.