Top,Front,End view advice?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gavin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The only problem I have with the perceptual part is the top,front,end view section. I am really struggling with this and would greatly appreciate any fool proof strategies anyone has heard of, or used. I read the section in Barron's that talks about the counting of the lines and comparing but I have not been unable to use this strategy consistently. Thanks in advance.
Gavin

Members don't see this ad.

I was having trouble with TFE as well, and I noticed on a thread that "Justletmein" had a pretty good track record with the section. I PM'd him and he sent me this advice...I hope he doesn't mind me spreading the wealth.

"Hello there! Thanks! The trick I used for top/front/end was to count the lines ("events" - Kaplan strategy) and just correctly match them up with the choices given. You'll find that at least 1-2 can be eliminated this way. For the remainder, I look for distinct features with the two view given and i'm usually able to eliminate down to the last one! But basically it all boils down to practice. You can practice 'orthographic projections' and drawing 'isometric' views of objects, or getting a book on these subjects that will greatly help. Goodluck and may the force be with you!" -Justletmein-

I've improved incredibly on this section, and it all comes down to practicing to become familiar with what kind of distinct features to look for and what each line can suggest. Good luck!

TX Hopeful said:
I was having trouble with TFE as well, and I noticed on a thread that "Justletmein" had a pretty good track record with the section. I PM'd him and he sent me this advice...I hope he doesn't mind me spreading the wealth.

This is a good way of attacking top right end..however..don't expect to get a 13+/15 through event counting alone. The DAT writers know about this trick and purposely put at least 8-10 questions where event counting reallly doesn't help at all. On my DAT it helped me answer about 4 question in two seconds..but the rest had to be studied carefully..must visualize it in your mind and practise practise practise..and then practise