Top institutions for vaccine development research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mercaptovizadeh

ἐδάκρυσεν ὁ Ἰησοῦς
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have insight regarding the best institutions (academic or industry) or labs for vaccine development, specifically for malaria, tuberculosis, HCV, and/or HIV?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have insight regarding the best institutions (academic or industry) or labs for vaccine development, specifically for malaria, tuberculosis, HCV, and/or HIV?

Thanks.

Duke and Harvard for HIV. Not sure about the others.

Members don't see this ad :)
USNews probably not the best source for something so specific, but if you list great schools you can't go wrong.

Harvard is excellent at absolutely everything, vaccines and otherwise. At Hopkins I would say strengths are HIV, Hep C, and cancer vaccines at the SOM, and particularly malaria over at the School of Public Health. But when you hear vaccine, you think Emory. CDC connection, HIV, infectious disease (http://www.vaccines.emory.edu/). The NIH runs an amazing center as well for a variety of things, including HIV but also biodefense and other infectious disease.

Not an expert on this topic by any means but immunology is my field.

do not go by US News for those things. I'm guessing Emory and UCSF will be solid at those things just because of their pedigree and dedication to those fields/connection to cdc/merck, but vaccine research is very broad, and you kinda have to break it down into what part of immunity (or maybe delivery?? thats boring as ****) you want to go after.

The University of Maryland, Baltimore which has the Center for Vaccine Development (topics include malaria and bacterial pathogens) and the Human Institute of Virology (HIV pathogenesis and vaccinology).