top notch academicians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HiddenTruth

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yo all--

I was wondering if you all knew how people become so "Big" in academic medicine. And I don't mean at avg schools-- but top tier schools. I am currently doing research at a top 5 shcool and it's so friggin amazing to work with some of these people. Like they have their legs spread everywhere (alrite kids, relax!): chief of CTS, research, down to earth guy, on some med school admissions committee--I'm like "damnn dude".

No but on the reals, like how does the whole process work--as in, how do you excell the ladder of senority at a big institute? I think I've became interested in academic medicine, but I'm thinking what does it take to get to be like the chairman or chief of the dept? My PI hasn't been practicing for all that long--maybe 7-8 years, and he is chief of the dept. And then there is the chairman who isn't much older--and that dude is internationally renowned. How amazing is that. Sorry to hyperventilate the norm--but I just got truly impressed. Also, does anyone know, what it entails to get into a big academic institute -- I mean just to even start there--as assistant professor or something? (i;m sure u have to start there to climb the ladder). Does it matter where you do residency or where u went to med school? It must cuz all the docs in teh dept are like harvard grads, or yale or penn--

bottom line--I'm just wondering what it takes to be one of these people. And what all do u sacrifice--in terms of monetary future? Do they get paid significantly less than private practice MD's?

Sorry abt the length--kinda' rambled--thanks though.

HT

Members don't see this ad.

I've worked with a few similar docs. the common thread is that they are incredibly smart -- much more so than your average physician or medical student. and very hard working. likewise, they have a true passion for what they do are are very focussed on getting to the top.

This isn't just a trait of some doctors.

A lot of upper level business people are also like this.

They tend to be the people that naturally control rooms with their presence.

Some people are just good leaders/charismatic/brilliant.

Then there's the rest of us.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fermata said:
Some people are just good leaders/charismatic/brilliant.

Then there's the rest of us.

:laugh: :thumbup: very true, unfortunately...at least for me!

From what I understand, you need to do your fellowship at a school where you'd like to stay. You have to work your butt off, but also keep everyone happy because I'm sure there is a lot of politics involved. :luck:

azzarah said:
From what I understand, you need to do your fellowship at a school where you'd like to stay. You have to work your butt off, but also keep everyone happy because I'm sure there is a lot of politics involved. :luck:

yea that makes sense--as far as the fellowship is concerned. But I think the trick is that you would have to be at a solid residency before u can get into a fellowship at a top academic institute.

The people who you mentioned get to where they are out of passion for medicine, natural leadership abilities and charisma (as mentioned), and a sincere desire to accomplish things above and beyond what your average physician is satisfied with. Most of us envision ourselves in private practices with a steady and substantial patient base, making a healthy income, etc. There are some of us, however, who certainly desire to not only be the "best of the best," but who love the science and art of medicine and will use their abilities to their absolute fullest. Granted, these are the same ppl who matriculate at top med schools and go on to train at top notch residencies as well. But for the most part, the big time physician scientists and academicians get to where they are on drive and ambition.