You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Top party medical schools?
Started by apps2019
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
They're called Caribbean schools. I would submit now to make sure you have a good chance of acceptance.
Windsor University
They let you retake all of your exams if you fail, too!*
* - some fees may apply
They let you retake all of your exams if you fail, too!*
* - some fees may apply
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Like a study party?
Some med schools are more "social" but I'm not sure it's appropriate to call them "party med schools."
Getting into medical school should be the top priority rather than "party med schools."Hey guys! Was wondering if anyone knew of any medical schools that had a party reputation? Places that are in cities or don't have AOA?
Some med schools are more "social" but I'm not sure it's appropriate to call them "party med schools."
Some med schools offer occasional social events. One med I'm familiar with has a Halloween social. It also has an annual talent show. I didn't want my earlier post to suggest anything that resembles Ft. Lauderdale Spring Break. 😀
Is that important to you?Hey guys! Was wondering if anyone knew of any medical schools that had a party reputation? Places that are in cities or don't have AOA?
8
814965
There are no "party" medical schools. Everyone is there to learn and prepare for their careers and excessive partying would severely f*ck that up. However, if the social factor is that important to you then try to get into a school in a big city like Chicago or NYC, a school attached to a large university in a college town like Ohio State or UMich, or one in a popular vacation destination like Miami, Las Vegas or LA and there will never be a shortage of things for you to do outside of school.
Lol at everyone bashing because someone is looking for a decent social scene in medical school. Don't be such hardasses, different factors are appealing to different people.
Im not sure about a party school. I am definitely interested in attending a school where my classmates are social and friendly rather than all study all the time, but Im not sure I will have much time to party personally. That being said medical school is a very stressful time in everyones life so I seriously do hope to attend a school where my peers will want to study in groups and will be interested in occasionally getting food or coffee together while we are at school to break up the monotony of studying alone, even if we arent partying together every weekend.
There are no "party" medical schools. Everyone is there to learn and prepare for their careers and excessive partying would severely f*ck that up.
Plenty of people in my class go out every weekend (all weekend), take MDMA and go clubbing, etc. It being a P/F school might be a big part of that, but just thought I'd remind people that med students aren't all hyper-driven one track mind robots. Obviously prioritizing a school's "partying" reputation is silly, but there's no need to scoff at the idea of med students partying hard.
I heard students at Albert Einstein College of Medicine occasionally, half tongue-in-cheek, refer to their school as "Camp Einstein," in that it can sometimes be like a little summer camp with all their social events. However, this is obviously an exaggeration, and like other people have mentioned, no medical school is going to offer you the "time of your life" in the form of parties day in and day out.
Some school are more social, and it all depends on the student body! Einstein makes sense, since ~95% of all their students live on campus in "dorms," which probably adds to the social vibe. As far as other schools I've interviewed at, I didn't get a feel either way—all mentioned a nice balance between academics and social life.
Some school are more social, and it all depends on the student body! Einstein makes sense, since ~95% of all their students live on campus in "dorms," which probably adds to the social vibe. As far as other schools I've interviewed at, I didn't get a feel either way—all mentioned a nice balance between academics and social life.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was so surprised that the medical students I met had time for the devil's lettuce sometimes. Blew my mind! But it is a nice reminder that your social/party life isn't going to completely go down the drain, because like you mentioned, there's still time to have fun—and you're probably doing it wrong if you're not having some fun in medical school.Plenty of people in my class go out every weekend (all weekend), take MDMA and go clubbing, etc. It being a P/F school might be a big part of that, but just thought I'd remind people that med students aren't all hyper-driven one track mind robots. Obviously prioritizing a school's "partying" reputation is silly, but there's no need to scoff at the idea of med students partying hard.
8
814965
I know that, I just meant there arent any party medical schools like OP is probably imagining them.Plenty of people in my class go out every weekend (all weekend), take MDMA and go clubbing, etc. It being a P/F school might be a big part of that, but just thought I'd remind people that med students aren't all hyper-driven one track mind robots. Obviously prioritizing a school's "partying" reputation is silly, but there's no need to scoff at the idea of med students partying hard.
Wouldn't this depend on the class? A lot of medical schools are putting up youtube videos of their various functions and most of them seem to be organized by the class president or some other class member.
Further, isn't there always a group that likes to party?
(Adrienne and Sonya KILL ME LMAO)
(Adrienne and Sonya KILL ME LMAO)
. It being a P/F school
Many SOMs are P/F, but students need to be aware that grades are usually still recorded by the school and used for ranking, quartile ranking, and other purposes.
Im not sure about a party school. I am definitely interested in attending a school where my classmates are social and friendly rather than all study all the time, but Im not sure I will have much time to party personally. That being said medical school is a very stressful time in everyones life so I seriously do hope to attend a school where my peers will want to study in groups and will be interested in occasionally getting food or coffee together while we are at school to break up the monotony of studying alone, even if we arent partying together every weekend.
Jeeesus Christ. I'm at the gym right now and you make me want to drop a 100 lb dumbbell on my foot. Studying all the time is exactly what you will be doing. It's medical school. You'll make decisions that could save or kill someone. Just no words...
Studying all the time is exactly what you will be doing. It's medical school.
Hold on. The med school in my area (well-ranked) has intramural teams, so obviously they don't expect students to be "studying all the time." Honestly, it's probably not mentally-healthy to "study all the time," because that just leads to burn-out and frustration. A little R&R rejuvenates the body.
Hold on. The med school in my area (well-ranked) has intramural teams, so obviously they don't expect students to be "studying all the time." Honestly, it's probably not mentally-healthy to "study all the time," because that just leads to burn-out and frustration. A little R&R rejuvenates the body.
Well yeah, you have a couple hours here and there but OP gives the impression that he's looking something like... I don't know... college Greek life.
Well yeah, you have a couple hours here and there but OP gives the impression that he's looking something like... I don't know... college Greek life.
Right...as mentioned above, it's not Ft. Lauderdale Spring Break.
D
deleted480308
I heard from an auditioning student that one of their admins and their spouse routinely "open" up their marriage to female students.....does that count as partying enough?
Any med school with a decent proportion of 22-23 yo med students in a college town or big city will have there share of partiers.
All med schools are party schools
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you want to get into a good residency (which only determines the rest of your life), you'd probably be better off in a boring location with boring people so you can study. I hope you had enough fun in college and high school, because the fun ends when medical school starts.
A
AnatomyGrey12
My classmates who drink seem to have plenty of time to party after exams.
If you want to get into a good residency (which only determines the rest of your life), you'd probably be better off in a boring location with boring people so you can study. I hope you had enough fun in college and high school, because the fun ends when medical school starts.
In my (institutional n=1) experience, given the social lives of people I know and where they matched, this doesn't seem to universally hold true. Med students have plenty of fun and generally will be able to match well enough. Your social life doesn't go down the drain just because you're a medical student. You learn to prioritize and time manage better than you did earlier in life and you manage.
I kind of disagree with a lot of the comments in this thread. Social life is important, and there's nothing wrong with partying during medical school. You can't study all the time, nor should you.
Honestly I went out more during my first year of med school than I did during all four years of undergrad, and I did just fine.
Honestly I went out more during my first year of med school than I did during all four years of undergrad, and I did just fine.
Loma Linda
Serious answer: UTMB (Galveston). Classes are over by noon.
Great idea! Good thing medical schools can't kick you out for having bad grades! Also, good idea AMCAS doesn't ask if you've previously attended a medical school!
What makes you think partying = failing classes?Great idea! Good thing medical schools can't kick you out for having bad grades! Also, good idea AMCAS doesn't ask if you've previously attended a medical school!
I did plenty of partying during my third bachelor's, on top of full time school, full time work, and volunteering, and still pulled a 3.86 (4.0 until physics 2 tanked my GPA). That's hardly failing.
What makes you think partying = failing classes?
I did plenty of partying during my third bachelor's, on top of full time school, full time work, and volunteering, and still pulled a 3.86 (4.0 until physics 2 tanked my GPA). That's hardly failing.
It's cute you think medical school schedule and class structures are anything like undergraduate.
It's cute you think medical school schedule and class structures are anything like undergraduate.
No need to be condescending. I do plenty of partying during med school and do just fine, I've never even been close to failing.
Didn't mean to condescend. 😛 Apologies. I sent that message on my phone right when I was about to fall asleep, In retrospect, not the best wording.
Last edited:
Bunch of squidsDoesn't sound like I want to party with anyone in this thread.
Squids are the coolest, I'm always down to party with cephalopods.Bunch of squids
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Tulane! They had, by far, the most social student body out of all the medical schools I interviewed at. They really embody the "work hard-play hard" attitude.
It's cute you think medical school schedule and class structures are anything like undergraduate.
Chill
I thought ur comment was funny. But right after I read your username and signature and it was the first time I actually LOL on SDNLoma Linda
Similar threads
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 5K
- Replies
- 9
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 5K
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 675