Top Pre-Med Colleges??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalMonkey

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright guys, which college do you consider the best for Pre-med? Who has highest placement? Do you have experience with the helping hands of an adviser for medicine? What all is entailed in this specific schools Pre-med advising program? Just curious to know what you guys think!

Members don't see this ad.

The more elite, the better (except for MIT).

they boast like a 98-99% med school acceptance for their grads.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lipscomb University in Nashville. They average a 90% acceptance rating.

In my opinion it isn't the school it is students. While a particular school might have good advisers or courses it all comes down to what resources a student uses and how they perform.

Some schools could be known as harder as far as prep-curriculum which can be good but if you perform poorly then it can hurt you.

Go where you want and make the most out of it

I am at a general state school. My adviser is alright but most of my research I have done for myself. I found shadowing, volunteer work, research opportunities... And I don't think it was worth spending thousands for another school cuz I will have the same degree just maybe not an Ivy degree

UC Berkeley.

There are tons of resources and research options. Also they don't hold your hand, you have to apply yourself to get what you want. Teaches you to take care of yourself.

UC Berkeley.

There are tons of resources and research options. Also they don't hold your hand, you have to apply yourself to get what you want. Teaches you to take care of yourself.

Same thing with UCLA. Top notch resources all around ... but they school has so many damn people that no one is going to stop and lead you through it (or inflate your grades like an Ivy leage :laugh:). You learn to do it yourself.

In retrospect, it certainly is a factor, at least for some med schools (at two of my interviews, the interviewer basically explained how the committee arrives at a decision, and mentioned the undergrad institution being given different "weight" . . . one interviewer specifically said "you go to ______, which is good because it's a solid school and lots of people know it . . . if you went to Harvard or something, of course that'd work in your favor a good bit more."

That being said, I wouldn't try to pick your undergrad school based on how elite they were, necessarily. Pick the school that you think you will do well at, and pick a major you think you will enjoy and excel in, and you should be ok.

And the undergrad schools that boast very high med school acceptance rates often have "guidelines" in place to keep those numbers high. In other words, if you're not a very desirable candidate, they may not even "let" you apply (won't write a committee LOR, etc).

they boast like a 98-99% med school acceptance for their grads.

Not even close.

I personally don't think going to an ivy gives you a real boost in the application process, but hey, I hope I'm wrong.

how come no one has mentioned johns hopkins?

us news named us the hottest premed school this year.:D

Alright guys, which college do you consider the best for Pre-med? Who has highest placement? Do you have experience with the helping hands of an adviser for medicine? What all is entailed in this specific schools Pre-med advising program? Just curious to know what you guys think!
Pretty much the usual suspects, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford. They all have close to 90% or higher acceptance rate. Then as you go further down the list obviously there is UPenn, Cornell, Brown, Duke, Columbia, Johns Hopkins, etc. Those have about 80-85% or higher acceptance rate

A high acceptance rate is only part of the story - if you're a student there, and the committee refuses to write you a letter, you're doomed. A good school is one that offers you many opportunities to learn the way that you learn best, provides places for you to get good experience as a leader, volunteer, and researcher. Some of the schools suggested have tons and tons of pre-meds, which means that every area hospital will be saturated with pre-med volunteers, and it might be hard to get a position doing anything. A research lab might have more applicants than positions. Keep that in mind.

It's also important to remember that top universities have a self-selected group of medical school applicants... students who were the top of their high school class are at the top colleges and therefore, are stronger overall applicants. This obviously translates to higher med school acceptance rates for Ivies and other elite undergrad schools.

At a mid-tier state school, not all of the students applying to medical school are stellar students; a lot of them aren't. The overall quality of students is lower than at a top university.

Therefore, by this reasoning, it does not truly matter if you go to an Ivy league undergrad or Nowhere U. If you are good enough to get into med school, then you will get into med school regardless of where you go.

Now obviously, this reasoning is not perfect; as posters above mentioned, some weight is given to the name of your university. But you won't get into medical school because of what university you go to.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Weight" really only affects how your GPA is viewed, and in the great scheme of things, when compared to your test scores, your GPA is actually a relatively minor factor in med school admissions (basically, you just don't want to have a bad one).

"acceptance rate" is probably the most easily manipulated statistic a school can boast about. And I'm pretty sure Madden Bus is just pulling numbers out of his ass.

MCAT is what's going to decide if you get in, so go where you're going to have the most fun.

"Weight" really only affects how your GPA is viewed, and in the great scheme of things, when compared to your test scores, your GPA is actually a relatively minor factor in med school admissions (basically, you just don't want to have a bad one).

"acceptance rate" is probably the most easily manipulated statistic a school can boast about. And I'm pretty sure Madden Bus is just pulling numbers out of his ass.

MCAT is what's going to decide if you get in, so go where you're going to have the most fun.

The numbers for the schools he listed that I'm familiar with were accurate.

Why would you say GPA is minor compared to your test scores. I realize you are a med student, but that comment seems to be a huge oversimplification and overgeneralization of how different schools view each part of an application.

the difference between a 3.6 and a 3.8 is going to be quite minor when compared to the difference between a 32 and a 34. A high MCAT beats a high GPA 9 times out of 10.

And remember, a high MCAT can save a relatively low GPA.

Now the other way around. A 4.0 and 24 will get you jack. A 3.1 and 34 has a decent shot.

And remember, a high MCAT can save a relatively low GPA.

Now the other way around. A 4.0 and 24 will get you jack. A 3.1 and 34 has a decent shot.

This is a bit of a myth. A high MCAT doesn't redeem a low GPA or vice versa, since they both gauge different criteria.

This is a bit of a myth. A high MCAT doesn't redeem a low GPA or vice versa, since they both gauge different criteria.

I said relatively low GPA. Below a 3.0 and you're screwed also.

But 3.1's occasionally get in with high enough MCAT's. 24's....not so much.

The University of Puget Sound has a med school acceptance rate of >85%. However, I have been hearing lately that this is because the pre-health committee is really strict and won't write you a letter if they don't think you are good enough. The people who tell me this also tell me that many med schools wont review your application if you come from a school that they know has a pre-health committee and you don't have a letter from them. However, I can't seem to verify this anywhere.

They call the University of Rochester a premed breeding ground.. everyone enters premed, most dont finish that way

They call the University of Rochester a premed breeding ground.. everyone enters premed, most dont finish that way

I have been a student at one really good state university and one highly selective liberal arts college. In both of these places I have seen a huge amount of freshman matriculate as premed and quickly change their focus after 1-3 semesters of the introductory-level required science courses. I think no matter where you go you will find a lot of students who really like the idea of a career in medicine, but do not have the drive to realistically pursue it.

I have been a student at one really good state university and one highly selective liberal arts college. In both of these places I have seen a huge amount of freshman matriculate as premed and quickly change their focus after 1-3 semesters of the introductory-level required science courses. I think no matter where you go you will find a lot of students who really like the idea of a career in medicine, but do not have the drive to realistically pursue it.

just look in one of those college guide books, it pretty much singles out UR for this

the difference between a 3.6 and a 3.8 is going to be quite minor when compared to the difference between a 32 and a 34. A high MCAT beats a high GPA 9 times out of 10.
Actually, a 3.8 vs a 3.6 is more different than a 32 and a 34, IMO. Someone who got a 34 could have gotten two more questions wrong and had a 32.

No such thing exists. Next question.

I would argue against some of the schools mentioned above such as JHU. I did not go there, but the committee will not support students who do not meet certain criteria, whereas there are successful applicants at other schools who could get in with a 3.3 GPA and 29 MCAT.

I would rather have a 3.9 from my state university than a 3.4 from JHU, Harvard, Princeton, etc. Based on what one adcom member has told me, you cannot fault the kid with a 3.9 because he has excelled in his environment. For all they know, the student may have been accepted to Princeton undergrad but have chosen the state school due to finances, family, location, etc. In general, the top undergrad schools will be more successful percentage-wise because they recruit stronger HS students...e.g. Emory gets more kids who score 35+ on the MCAT than University of Georgia. So you can't just say schools with the highest acceptance rates are the best. Just as an example, if you look at mdapplicants.com, there are people who have recently been accepted to Harvard Medical School who went to less prestigious schools like East Carolina, Millsaps, Alabama, Xavier, Cal State, etc.

The answer to this question is too individualized to give you a simple answer. For example, personally, I was a pretty strong HS student (top 1% of class, top 1% of standardized tests). I went to a top 20 undergrad. In retrospect, this is what I wish I would have asked schools when trying to decide where to go:

1. What percentage of freshman premeds end up applying?
2. What is the average or median MCAT score and GPA for both accepted students and applicants?
3. Is the premed advising system strong? (At my school, they have given me a lot of great advice)
4. How may students apply each year? (I would prefer schools with 50-350 applicants/year) I went to a school with ~250 applicants/year and even then I thought there was competition for positions such as TA, research assistant, student group leadership, etc. I can't imagine what it would be like at Berkeley or UMich, for example, which have 600+ applicants/year.
5. How many students go into postbac programs or take time off to strengthen their application?
6. Are all applicants supported or are there specific criteria?

If you are a strong HS student, I would argue that a top liberal arts college is one of your best bets. Aside from that, ask the questions I listed above and also consider where you think you would succeed academically and otherwise. There are doctors from hundreds of undergrad institutions across the country. What you do is more important than where you do it.

i learned to not trust those stats that boast a certain percentage of md applicants getting accepted. at least one school's premed advisers discourages everybody who's not a shoe-in for med school. this way they keep their percentage high so they can advertise to incoming freshman/transfers.

Actually, a 3.8 vs a 3.6 is more different than a 32 and a 34, IMO. Someone who got a 34 could have gotten two more questions wrong and had a 32.

edited: it's late... my response didnt make sense...

obviously, go to the best college you get into. college apps are getting almost as brutal as medical schools. except that there are a lot of them and only a few med schools.

if you get into Yale, i wouldn't skip it to go somewhere else because of your speculation about how things will work out when you are ready to apply to med school.

I go to the University of Rochester and yeah, it's a very big pre-med school. It's one of those schools that is very invested in the sciences and some of the other majors (ie. foreign languages) tend to go unnoticed. I was actually originally a Comp-Sci major but decided to go towards a natural science instead because the natural sciences were far superior. That being said, I don't know how med schools look at UofR. I'd say the education I've attained is pretty top-notch, but that could simply be ignorance speaking.

Anyone else really happy that they're not going through the undergrad admissions process right now? I graduated high school in 2001 (so maybe only a year or two older than most of you guys and girls here, and certainly younger than some), and even then, only 6 years ago, I feel like there was a lot less pressure. Maybe it was just the environment for me, but I had solid grades, never studied for the SAT (but did fairly well on it), and didn't even start seriously considering schools to apply to until September of my senior year of high school. Got into all of them, including some pretty good ones, and I feel like the process as a whole was pretty low-stress.

Now it seems like things are more cut-throat, people hire coaches to help them get accepted into their top choice (although this has been going on for a long time I'm sure) . . . it's just nuts.

obviously, go to the best college you get into. college apps are getting almost as brutal as medical schools. except that there are a lot of them and only a few med schools.

if you get into Yale, i wouldn't skip it to go somewhere else because of your speculation about how things will work out when you are ready to apply to med school.

define "best" college? What if you get extra $$$ to go to a "lesser" school. What if you prefer to stay close to home? What if you you need to go to a school in a BCS eligible conference? There's more to your education than the neighbors being impressed when your parents brag that you go to any Ivy League school.

Yes, but for those people who don't get into a school like Yale, the "best college" at least by rankings may not be the best choice. The premed environment at different undergrads can vary a lot.

i know it isn't PC to say it: but Ivy League (or comparable) schools provide more than parental bragging rights.

like: incredible education; incredible intellectual environment; incredible network; incredible professors; incredible everything

and they are need blind, so if you get in you can go!! you will get grants and loans so you can go.

tell yourself it doesn't matter if it makes you feel better.

well which of the big eight do you attend then?

I've got people in my class from said schools near the top of the class, and I've got friends from Ivy schools here who are nearly failing and considering dropping out... Everyone's on the same playing field once they reach the next level.

but the fact that you wasted 3x the amount of money that you could have spent on a state school is cool too... ;)

i know it isn't PC to say it: but Ivy League (or comparable) schools provide more than parental bragging rights.

like: incredible education; incredible intellectual environment; incredible network; incredible professors; incredible everything

and they are need blind, so if you get in you can go!! you will get grants and loans so you can go.

tell yourself it doesn't matter if it makes you feel better.

Loans? How wonderful!! :laugh:

Yes, several of the Ivies are among the best in the world. But when you say "comparable" to the Ivies....well I would argue that, for example, UNC, Rochester, and UT, are not too different from Duke, Cornell, and Rice.

CWRU is a top med school by rankings at least and here's a list of where their students are from...

http://casemed.case.edu/admissions/class_profile.cfm

Although many more qualified applicants attend prestigious undergrads, about a fourth of the class if from less prestigious schools like Bowling Green or University of Nevada.

This is coming from a kid who graduated from a top 10 school.

To DCGirl's comment, yes, the ivies are need-blind, and yes, they will give you money to go there, but that money is usually in the form of loans while other "less prestigious" schools will give more grants and scholarships which do not need to be paid back. This is first-hand experience since I had to make that choice, and I'm sure the situation differs for everybody, but when I knew that I may be spending $200,000 on medical school, I followed the money. As long as your school has a solid academic foundation, even if it isn't world-renowned, you can really excel as a pre-med. It's not as much where you go but its what you do when you get there and that you're happy in what it is you're doing. The best "pre-med" school is the one at which you're doing the best you can!

I've got people in my class from said schools near the top of the class, and I've got friends from Ivy schools here who are nearly failing and considering dropping out... Everyone's on the same playing field once they reach the next level.

While I agree with you that everyone is on the "same playing field," I disagree with the way in which you use anecdotal Ivy league references to support that point, since it would be very easy for people to distort what you're saying.

So many people make snap judgments on whole institutions based on their experiences with a few individuals, and that often leads to misguided opinions. Getting into an ivy-league school doesn't mean that an individual is fabulous at everything, or a genius in every subject. Not every ivy grad is going to do spectacularly well in medical school; those who don't and come close to failing, probably have other talents or attributes (maybe family legacy and/or wealth :rolleyes:) besides medicine, but still chose medicine anyway. I would wager, however, that *as a group*, ivy pre-meds are stronger than your average state school pre-meds, and that this generally accounts for the higher acceptance rates documented.

With regards to the OP's question, I have to concur with whoever suggested that the general prestige of the undergrad school plays a big role in the pre-med process. Whether you like it or not, medicine is a prestige-laden field, and a lot of it is driven by the pedigree of the places where you study, train and work. That said, going to a well-known undergrad is only a starting point, something that'll open the door a little, and might give your file a bit longer look than it might have otherwise. The school itself won't "seal the deal" -- your individual qualifications will, or won't.

Not really. Pretty much everyone gets into college, whereas only 40% of med school applicants get in.

Go to the college you want to go to and where you think you'll be happy. Don't think about med school at the point. In the long run, it doesn't really matter.

With regards to the OP's question, I have to concur with whoever suggested that the general prestige of the undergrad school plays a big role in the pre-med process.

Again, not really, if it all. You have just as likely a chance to get into med school from an Ivy, a small liberal arts college or a state school. It's a matter of individual effort.

The big 3 application factors: GPA, MCAT and Clinical Experience are completely independent of the prestige of your school and are a matter of individual effort.

People cite Ivy's as the "best" colleges as if applicants choose them - sorry, it is the other way around - Ivy UG admissions are insanely difficult, not exactly an option for 98 percent of high school grads...

In choosing a college, consider the size of the classes and the access to the professors - I have taken classes at one of the top 5 public colleges, and also at a small regional lib arts college, and the difference in class size is staggering - but if you will thrive in a intro Biol class with 500 other undergrads, then go for it, but I MUCH prefer the smaller classes in the typical lib arts college...

There is no such thing as a "best pre med college" but there are HUGE differences between colleges that will directly affect your success...

People cite Ivy's as the "best" colleges as if applicants choose them - sorry, it is the other way around - Ivy UG admissions are insanely difficult, not exactly an option for 98 percent of high school grads...

In choosing a college, consider the size of the classes and the access to the professors - I have taken classes at one of the top 5 public colleges, and also at a small regional lib arts college, and the difference in class size is staggering - but if you will thrive in a intro Biol class with 500 other undergrads, then go for it, but I MUCH prefer the smaller classes in the typical lib arts college...

There is no such thing as a "best pre med college" but there are HUGE differences between colleges that will directly affect your success...

You will eventually have to learn to self-direct your learning, from what I understand this is crucial in med school. If you couldn't do it as an undergrad you are going to have to as a med student.

I agree class size can be important in some classes, especially ones where class discussion is important, for example some of the social sciences and art. Intro Bio however is a standard subject and the material should be about the same wherever you encounter it. Large lecture classes encourage self reliance, learning to answer your own question and knowing when you are unable to do so to seek out help actively.

the less premeds there are in a school, the happier you will be. this has been my experience.

You will eventually have to learn to self-direct your learning, from what I understand this is crucial in med school. If you couldn't do it as an undergrad you are going to have to as a med student.

I agree class size can be important in some classes, especially ones where class discussion is important, for example some of the social sciences and art. Intro Bio however is a standard subject and the material should be about the same wherever you encounter it. Large lecture classes encourage self reliance, learning to answer your own question and knowing when you are unable to do so to seek out help actively.

honestly the biggest difference between large/small classes is going to be the ability of the students to get to know the professors and as a result...get decent letters out of it. It's self directed learning no matter what.

the less premeds there are in a school, the happier you will be. this has been my experience.
Maybe that's why I liked college. About one tenth of a percent of my student body applied to med school in any given year (about 45 out of 28,000).

yeah, i made my college experience more enjoyable by hanging out with the prepharms.

Personally, I don't think it's as much where you go to school, but what you do while you are there. Just because you go to an elite school does not mean that you will take advantage of any opportunities and keep your grades up. I go to a small public school, and I think it has given me a lot of amazing opportunities, especially with research, that I think I would have had a hard time getting at a more "elite" school. I have really enjoyed my time in undergrad, and even though I don't go to anything even approaching an Ivy, I got an acceptance to my top choice school. I'm not saying that going to an Ivy league is bad, just not necessary for getting into med school. If you work hard, no matter where you are, you have a shot at getting in. Just my two cents. :)