Top Pre-Med Colleges??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Maybe that's why I liked college. About one tenth of a percent of my student body applied to med school in any given year (about 45 out of 28,000).

Wow where'd you go for undergrad?

Members don't see this ad.

I think that University of Texas Plan II graduates regularly have 100% of their med school applicants get accepted. Not every year everyone gets in, but a lot of the time.

Also very high acceptance rates to law school, and everything else.

I think that University of Texas Plan II graduates regularly have 100% of their med school applicants get accepted. Not every year everyone gets in, but a lot of the time.

Also very high acceptance rates to law school, and everything else.

ATX represent. Where are you from originally?

Members don't see this ad :)
Grew up in San Antonio. High school in New Braunfels. You?

Wow where'd you go for undergrad?
UW-Milwaukee. Very big business school. We had a fair number of bio/chem majors, but other than the huge freshman surge of "Oh, I'm pre-med!" there weren't that many pre-meds. My advisor told me that about 30-45 people would apply to med school each year.

UW-Milwaukee. Very big business school. We had a fair number of bio/chem majors, but other than the huge freshman surge of "Oh, I'm pre-med!" there weren't that many pre-meds. My advisor told me that about 30-45 people would apply to med school each year.

How'd you like going to school with all the business students?

Washington University in St. Louis has over an 90% acceptance rate, however they heavily weed students and discourage borderline applicants from applying.

If anything, I think going to a slightly less competitive school may give you a little more of an advantage because you're likely to get better grades in a less competitive environment which will help get your foot in the door more so than a so-so GPA from a "better" school.

Ahhh, the old debate about how going to an IVY league school leads to you being successful in life and those who go to your next door neighbor school fail at life (meaning, in this case getting accepted or rejected to medical school).

I think it is time to remind people that the majority of the famous people in this country did not go to an Ivy League school. Some of the famous people that did go to an Ivy League school are a laughing stock and got into an Ivy League school because of their parents.

Going to an Ivy League school gives you connections, an exuberating academic environment, amazing opportunities, and so many other great things.

Going to your next door neighbor school can give you amazing connections, an exuberating academic environment, amazing opportunities, and so many other great things.

If you sit on your ass all day long and not take advantage of the opportunities you have, then it won’t matter where you go to school.

I’m really glad I chose to go to the school I ended up at (after transferring). After two years at the school I had become bored and have run out of options for classes that I’m interested in. By going to a bigger school you have more class options. Thus, since I go to a small school I had to go to the Internet and find online courses that I could take in the sciences that I’m interested in that I can’t take at my academic institution. By doing this, I have taken three science courses that are not offered at my college that I can now say that I took. So I basically have now taken the same courses that many other students at the larger universities could because I went outside of my academic institution to get those opportunities.

It’s all about what you make out of your opportunities. People always need to be reminded that in the United States the world is YOURS. You are free to do what you want.

You are more likely to be weeded out at a bigger university because of there being more competition. College campuses love to play the numbers game. They will try their hardest to have the best numbers they can. Thus, they will only support those at the top of their classes for applying to medical school, law school, and other graduate school programs.

When you see a school advertising a number that is almost perfect (i.e., 90 percent medical school acceptance rate), you need to be objective and ask yourself why that number is so high. If the school that advertises such a high number would actually be real, then this school would be recogonized as the world's greatest academic institution. The schools with these type of high numbers is due to grade inflation, connections with graduate schools (AKA piplines), and selectivity.

Hey, OP, don't listen to all that fancy and technical advice from above.

It all about the football and basketball teams. Its been proven, I swear, that the more championships your UG school gets, the more med schools want to accept you at their school. Seriously.

How'd you like going to school with all the business students?
It was fine. They generally are better-looking and more inclined to party than pre-meds. :D

It all about the football and basketball teams. Its been proven, I swear, that the more championships your UG school gets, the more med schools want to accept you at their school. Seriously.
At the very least, your patients will think more highly of your school if they're well acquainted with its football team.

Hey, OP, don't listen to all that fancy and technical advice from above.

There's probably a lot of truth to that...Sad but in all likelihood true...

Rice was boasting a 99% placement when I last heard. I don't know if it's changed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gotta be very careful with those high statistics...

some schools include reapplicants in those numbers; obviously, reapplicants were rejected the first time(s), but if they are accepted eventually, they will be added in with the cohort they graduated with that was admitted somewhere.

UC Berkeley.

There are tons of resources and research options. Also they don't hold your hand, you have to apply yourself to get what you want. Teaches you to take care of yourself.
Agreed, but then again there is a huge amount of pre-meds and overachievers fighting for lab spots. So really Berkeley offers nothing more in terms of research than say a private school or another UC.

I still think UCB blows though.

I went on an interview, and the only question I was asked is if I had ever touched Vince Young.

do you go to USF? You'll probably see a spike in applicants next year.

I go to UCF but would gladly become a Bull next year (War of I-4 be damned)...You're right though, they've had a record number of applicants this year-even OoS...hopefully they drop out of the BCS rankings so everyone accepted opts out of going there and goes to LSU, OSU or Oklahoma and I can get their spot:D

I go to UCF but would gladly become a Bull next year (War of I-4 be damned)...You're right though, they've had a record number of applicants this year-even OoS...hopefully they drop out of the BCS rankings so everyone accepted opts out of going there and goes to LSU, OSU or Oklahoma and I can get their spot:D

looks like UConn might be helping you out a bit...

I also want to pitch liberal arts colleges. While you would have to find big time research opportunities elsewhere over the summer, do consider an elite LAC if you are attracted to the following traits:
-small campus/class sizes
-intimate attention from professors who are passionate about teaching...easy to develop relationship with them
-(at least at my school) hard-working students who genuinely care about knowledge and take their learning seriously but zero competition among students
-develop your critical/analytical thinking skills
-pursue a wide variety of academic interests across the sciences, the humanities, and beyond

As an added bonus, very few if any gunner-type pre-meds. it's not for everyone, but there's no question that a LAC can prepare you extremely well for medical school admission. There's a reason why the number of PhD per capital the top elite LAC surpass that of the Ivies.

Number of students at the Pre-Med college is another important factor to take into account. Some Universities over 30,000 students have 300+ applicants each year. Once you get an applicant pool that high, you can't expect acceptances in the 90% range because many medical schools that commonly draw from such Universities cannot fill anymore slots with the said schools applicants. This is the case with my school (35,000 students) and many others. If you are in the top 2/3 of the applicant pool, you are a "shoe in," but if you are below that, you are just fighting for waiting list spots at the pipeline schools that commonly draw from your schools students. Maybe I am wrong; this is just an observation I have made about large institutions.

Go Ducks (Oregon)! If not the Ducks, then Alabama, they have the Ole Ball Coach.

Though people have gone back and forth about this, I sincerely believe that, in the end, it doesn't really matter all that much where you go to school. I chose not to go to a top tier school in favor of a tiny liberal arts college (it's on literally 4 blocks in a small town) because I found the educational environment to be much more enjoyable and I am a big fan of small classes with a lot of student-teacher interaction. If I could do it all over again and had the choice between Harvard, MIT, and my little school, I would go to my little school in an instant. Admittedly, I may have scored 2-3 points lower on my MCAT then I would had I gone to a top school, but my experience would not have been nearly as enjoyable and I would not be nearly as happy as a student if I were in the background of a huge lecture hall.

Community college.

Seriously. A pre-med with an inferiority complex is force of nature.

Can you compete with someone whose only choice is a 3.95GPA & 14/14/14S or the haunting stigma of junior college?

I don't think so.

Community college.

Seriously. A pre-med with an inferiority complex is force of nature.

Can you compete with someone whose only choice is a 3.95GPA & 14/14/14S or the haunting stigma of junior college?

I don't think so.

:laugh:

Yeah, what was I thinking? Don't all premeds have inferiority complexes?

Seriously though, a college does not make or break an application. Even looking through MDApps, there are many successful applicants to top tier medical schools from low-ranked undergraduate institutions.

But going to Yale never hurt anyone.

No school will have a good "pre-med" program, it all depends on the applicant. It is true however, that going to a highly ranked schools or the Ivy Leagues will give you more of a competitive edge than say, State U. My last school boasted a 100% acceptance rate but they failed to address the fact that only 12 people applied and got in. :rolleyes:

If you're not a fan of the Ivy's, I would try Notre Dame or Wash U. They have mostly pre-meds and have really competitive programs.