"top" programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

obgyner

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 4th year applying in to Ob/Gyn... I'm trying to make a rank list for my advisor and I can't really figure out what the "top" programs are (regardless of location). Anyone out there have any idea? Or where to find this out?

Members don't see this ad.

You are going to have to narrow down your list a bit. What are you looking for academic/community? any particular geographic restriction?

How about academic programs in California/Pacific Northwest and the Northeast?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a recent residency graduate and am now on faculty at a large academic university in California. My "rankings" are based on experiences during residency and post graduate interviews, national conferences, and by word of mouth with well known faculty in the field. I would like to mention that the top ob/gyn residency programs are not always at the same institutions that have top medical schools. I made this mistake as a 4th year medical student. I only applied to those schools that had a big name for their medical school only to find out that their ob/gyn residency program was only mediocre. It was after the application cycle was well over did I realize that I had missed out on applying to many excellent residency programs. Because I have remained in and therefore more familiar with academic institutions, my list reflects larger academic institutions and not community programs. But there are many excellent community programs (ie: Kaiser San Francisco).

1.)Harvard/Brigham and Women's Hospital:
-Excellent reputation
-Traditional training
-Excellent mix of didactics/research and clinical training
2.) University of Texas Southwestern/Parkland Memorial Hospital:
-Excellent reputation
-Traditional training
-By far the strongest clinical training out there
3.) University of California San Francisco/UCSF:
-Excellent reputation
-"Outside the box" training (ie: LGBT issues, international health, strong in family planning)
-Excellent didactics
4.) University of Pittsburgh/Magee-Womens Hospital:
-"Outside the box" training (I consider this program the UCSF of the East)
5.) Northwestern University
-"Outside the box" training (I consider this program the UCSF of the Midwest)

Other programs to consider:
Brown University/Women & Infants Hospital
University of Alabama Birmingham/UAB
University of North Carolina/UNC
Yale University
University of Washington
University of California Irvine/UCI
University of Utah

Wow, that was super useful. Thanks so much!

I will add to that well put together list based on my experience on the interview trail:
WashU St Louis.
A powerhouse. Great training, great faculty. Only minus for me was St Louis.
Albert Einstein Montefiore
Great chair, great fellowship placement, great training. You will work your butt off and NY can be a bit harsh if you don't have the right personality.
Baylor
Had fallen on hard times but they are really up and coming. The department is being rebuilt into a great place to train.
USC
Also a once premier department that had fallen on hard times. Really turned things around recently (new chair, new PD, new hospital going into use this fall). I know several of the residents there and they can't say enough good things about it.

Thanks so much! Does anyone know of any other "outside the box" programs? Esp those that might not be top top programs?

There are a lot of great programs out there for OB/Gyn... I think a lot of the residency selection process has to do with what you want and where is a good fit for you, rather than just where the big name places are.

That being said, the programs that have been mentioned thus far are for the most part really great, I interviewed at several of them. I can certainly say that
some that have been mentioned I had very different perceptions of than those listed previously. This just goes to show how important it is to really keep an open mind and find a place that is great FOR YOU, not just great.

I interviewed primarily in the Northeast for family reasons. Some additions for that area would be
- Brown University: very strong program, two years ago when I interviewed good group of residents, I felt that RI was not the optimal place for me to be personally, but I did rank them second based on strength of program
- I agree with Magee, excellent program, great surgical training.
- NYU: I have a friend that is a resident there who is very happy and feels she is getting great training. I can also say that they really banded together and showed how strong they are as a program when she had a bad event.
- Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (not to be confused with Pennsylvania Hospital): lots of really strong people within their fields, medium volume but with primarily high risk patients
- UNC: Was brought up earlier

Ultimately though, I would really encourage applicants to focus on where they feel that they "fit" and on where they will have enough access to do research, people doing fellowships, availablity of fellowships (at least at our hospitals fellows do not deter your experience but really add to it...). I know its hard to think that you will know where you fit, but on my interview day at my current program I just had a feeling that this group of people was where I belonged. I have been overall happy here and definitely work with a smart, considerate, and intellectually stimulating group of people.

Hope that helps!

Hi guys,

Im a third year medical student interested in OB/GYN. What do you all think about other NYC programs such as Columbia Presbyterian? Cornell? Sinai? Einstein and NYU were mentiond above as good programs. Any others?

Thanks so much.

Hi guys,

Im a third year medical student interested in OB/GYN. What do you all think about other NYC programs such as Columbia Presbyterian? Cornell? Sinai? Einstein and NYU were mentiond above as good programs. Any others?

Thanks so much.

I did a rotation in the division of Family Planning at Columbia. It seems as though their training is superb, but I did not spend any time on L&D or inpatient gyn, so I can't give you any details. The residents seemed extremely competent (based on their presentations in Grand Rounds and my interactions with two residents who were rotation through/helping out on Family Planning).

I forgot to add OHSU to the list.

OHSU is probably a "think outside the box" program as well. Has a 3rd year elective where you can do international health. Residents have gone to Thailand, Nepal, Latin/Central America, Carib, Germany. They also have a very strong family planning emphasis. Unlike other university settings, the program is not all high-risk obstetrics and has a good amount of high-volume/low-risk delivery as well.

I would definitely include it on a West Coast Top Programs list along with UCSF/UW/UCSD.

I'd also second the recommendation of checking out Magee (Pittsburgh). Excellent program with broad exposure to subspecialties. Good support of residents.

Any thoughts on midwest programs that are "outside the box"? Thinking specifically of international opportunities and a more holistic approach; I would love to find a place to learn to work adjacent to midwives, to offer and promote VBACs, etc... I have rotated at several places that claim these things, but in reality do not endorse a holistic approach.

Any thoughts on midwest programs that are "outside the box"? Thinking specifically of international opportunities and a more holistic approach; I would love to find a place to learn to work adjacent to midwives, to offer and promote VBACs, etc... I have rotated at several places that claim these things, but in reality do not endorse a holistic approach.

Dartmouth and New Mexico.

The University of Michigan has a midwifery program, but I don't know much about their residency programs.

As you all know I am now in anesthesia. But over the years I've noticed no mentions of UCLA on this list which is unfortunate. I started out there and let me tell you that it is just a wonderful place! Everyplace will have its problems but if I stayed in OB I wouldve def stayed there. The majority of the residents are happy (yes in OB) and they are absolutely a delightful bunch to work with. The chair is the sincerest man alive and the faculty are very cool and supportive. ITs a great patient population mix, rich and county. Maybe the best part is the training, you're operating day one. I tell you on the other side of the curtain now I feel I can put some 3rd yr gyn residents to SHAME that I work with!

LA is great, I stayed at the beach. Yes its expensive but as a new resident you are guaranteed student housing which is nice, nice neighborhood surrounded by million-dollar homes and affordable.

And UCLA is #3 on US News top hospitals

Wake up! You won't to be at a great training institution and be happy. Do not seek a place strictly on name its not smart!