"Top Ranked" programs from 08 rank lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RickKane

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is a compilation of data from the posts in the official rank list thread as of 3/10/08. I thought it was pretty interesting.

Most #1 ranks:
1. Mayo-Rod (6)
2. UCLA (4)
2. MGH (4)

Most #2 ranks:
1. Mayo-Rod (5)
2. Brigham (4)
2. UVa (4)
2. Stanford (4)

Most #3 ranks:
1. Vandy (4)
2. Wake (4)
3. Columbia (4)

Most Top 3 Ranks:
1. Mayo-Rod (12)
2. MGH (9)
3. Vandy (8)
4. Stanford (8)
5. UCSF (7)
5. BID (7)

Honorable Mention: (all with 6)
Pitt, Michigan, Kentucky, UCLA, Columbia

Members don't see this ad.

by 'compile' do you mean that you sat down and added up all of the rank lists everyone wrote down? Thats dedication...

Method: I went through everyone's rank list adding each persons top 3 programs to a list of #1, #2, and #3. I then totalled each program for each category.

Materials: My laptop and the excessive amount of time I have to kill between now and next Thursday.

Results: See original post. Keep in mind results might have been different is more rank lists and fewer cute kittens where posted on the rank list thread.

Discussion: One of the more frequent debates on this forum is that of which are the "Top" Anesthesia programs. People are alway posting garbage lists "given to them by some PD that didn't want the info released..." The way I see it the best way to come up with a Top Program list would be to see how the members of this forum ranked their programs on their final RLs.

I think the most interesting finding in this "mock research" was that there where 36 distinct programs listed as #1. This validates the idea that the distinction as a top program is really a subjective finding seen through the eyes of an applicant, resident or even PD.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is a compilation of data from the posts in the official rank list thread as of 3/10/08. I thought it was pretty interesting.

Most #1 ranks:
1. Mayo-Rod (6)
2. UCLA (4)
2. MGH (4)

Most #2 ranks:
1. Mayo-Rod (5)
2. Brigham (4)
2. UVa (4)
2. Stanford (4)

Most #3 ranks:
1. Vandy (4)
2. Wake (4)
3. Columbia (4)

Most Top 3 Ranks:
1. Mayo-Rod (12)
2. MGH (9)
3. Vandy (8)
4. Stanford (8)
5. UCSF (7)
5. BID (7)

Honorable Mention: (all with 6)
Pitt, Michigan, Kentucky, UCLA, Columbia

I am really curious how the 08 list compares to the 07' list and possibly the 06' list.

Hey you said you didn't have much to do;)

the smiley is close enough to a picture

I think the most interesting finding in this "mock research" was that there where 36 distinct programs listed as #1. This validates the idea that the distinction as a top program is really a subjective finding seen through the eyes of an applicant, resident or even PD.

THough I agree with your conclusion, I don't think your data supports it. The #1 program on a rank list is highly dependent on where people interview, which is a function of some idiosyncratic personal preferences (e.g. have to stay in Toledo for family reasons) and competitiveness. If St Elsewhere is your #1 program, that may only be because your only other interview was at City Hospital whereas Man's Greatest Hospital and the House of God turned you down.

But really interesting nonetheless.
Now if we could really get a list of interviews offered, taken and ROL's ... that would be interesting!

I would also like to see from last years stats how many people matched at their number 1 and number 2 and so forth. Only from this board.

image_statistics_how_to_lie2.png

nociceptor....are you male or female? I think we would all like to know. BTW, I think your pics are hilarious.

Maybe Klinefelter's XXY...or maybe turners if your short....

Bottom line, we need a karyotye