1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Top ranked schools vs. bottom ranked schools?

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by Pharmwannab, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Pharmwannab

Pharmwannab Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Does it even really matter where you get your pharmD. from (within the US) when looking for work after graduation? It seems like top ranked vs. lower ranked matters a lot more for medical than pharmacy school, and it also seems like pretty much all pharmacy schools have nearly equal quality pharmD programs. Does it matter much when looking for a residency? Sorry if this has been asked before, and I'm sure it probably has heh.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. konkan

konkan coup de grace
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I think that's right - I know one girl who chose Wayne State ( ranked nr.30 something) over Michigan ( nr.4 or 5) just because WSU was closer to her home.

4. BiOGoly

BiOGoly PharmD, BCGP
    15+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Hmm...Out of curiousity where exactly are you getting those rankings? I was unaware that colleges of pharmacy were ranked at all, at least by any legitimate organization.

5. caligirlpharmd

5+ Year Member

US News. Its primarily based on professional opinions and amount of research funding. But US News is a legitimate organization.

6. Abilify

Abilify Membership Revoked
    Removed

So it's legitimate because it says 60+ pharmacy schools are not worthy of being ranked, thus making them crappy schools?

Any type of ranking for pharmacy school is complete b.s. The only thing that matters is how well a school's program "fits" with you.

7. DownonthePharm

DownonthePharm Chillin' n Fillin'
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Ranking Shmanking.

Pass your classes + Pass licenseing exam(s) = Pharmacist

8. usi

usi
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Ranking Shmanking is right!
    Is anybody wanting to join the faculty emeritus advisory board of some prestigious journal here?
    That's what yall sound like.

Anyway, I found this...

http://www.pharmacychoice.com/education/ranking.cfm

And is nice, but I don't care that much...
    a student loan is a student loan....

9. crossjb

crossjb Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Rankings don't matter as much as accredidation.

10. dgroulx

dgroulx Night Pharmacist
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    If you are going straight to work, then as long as your school is accredited it doesn't matter. I'm not sure about residencies. They may be a little more picky.

11. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 imagine sisyphus happy
    Pharmacist 15+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Just an FYI, that US News ranking included more than the 25 listed. I know this because our school paper made a big deal out of our pharm school being ranked #32 in the nation.

12. kristakoch

kristakoch Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I know residencies don't care about your ranked school. Its more about what rotations you took, ie if you want a good residency make sure to pick large institutions to do your rotations at, your grades, and your involvement. My friend did her residency at Johns Hopkins (can't get better than that) and she graduated from CCP at Midwestern (not ranked). I had another friend who did his at Mayo and graduated from North Dakota State ( I believe it is also not ranked)

13. TheChemist

TheChemist Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I would imagine that the prestige of the school (or ranking) would be more of a consideration for the academic setting, rather then a retail setting. (i.e. Professor)

14. speednutsII

speednutsII Member
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    The chemist is right. In addition, presitge of the school also tends to open up more opportunities for those who wish to follow other careers outside of retail pharmacy. Let's face it, if you are a pharmacist looking into research, you'll want to be at a premier research institution like Austin, or Buffalo.

15. caligirlpharmd

5+ Year Member

While I agree the "ranking schmaking" works for some, it may not be the best route for all. There are some things to consider. For example, as has been stated, if you want to get into a prestigous residency, you may find that prestegious people work at the schools with the highest research funding (hence higher rankings for the school), and those prestegious professors may have connections to help you get internships or set you up with research projects, etc. Additionally, schools get selected by companies to offer fellowships and intern positions specifically to students from that school. Programs may, possiby, look at highly ranked schools.

Again this is speculation-- of course everyone can do well and accomplish great things at any school regardless of ranking, if they have the motivation. I don't think it is really the rankings that determine the outcome. Don't get me wrong, I ignored high ranked programs in my choice because I did not like their program and it did not align with my goals. I do, however, think that students need to do serious research into each program and find out what opportunities the program may or may not have to offer, to determine if that program will allow them to maximize their potential. Some students want a lot of clinical experience, some a lot of retail training, some want research opportunities. Students should consider those factors when determining if a program fits. For some people, the fit may or may not be influenced by rankings, but I wouldn't necssarily agree that every program is just as good as another. As we have seen from many postings on this board some people have very strong problems with their program.

16. starrfishes

starrfishes Member
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I agree. Whether a school is ranked or not, much of it still depends on what you do: how much you have accomplished, your level of experience, and what you learned from your rotations and pharmacy studies, that ultimately matter the most. For example, you can go to one of the best ranked pharmacy schools in the nation and still come out being mediocre, and vice-a-versa.

17. fidelio

fidelio Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I wouldn't say that ranking is total b.s. and not all pharmacy schools give the same quality. I think someone mentioned above that it's related to research funding. Also, each pharmacy school has a kind of personality. I've heard some terrible pharmacy school experiences because of professors or trouble with school tuition, or quality of environment.

But yea, I would say to choose a pharmacy school that suits you best. I actually don't like ranking of schools because it makes me more nervous. If the school is prestigious and ranked high, I would be suspicious. Sounds like a lot of work.