Top Score Conversion Chart.

Slapshot13

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wrote a Top score General Chem practice test and scored 24/30 or 340. According to the Opted practice test, a 24 would be a 360. Do the standard conversion charts fluctuate depending on the difficulty of the test, or are they always the same?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

The Topscore conversions are different from the actual OAT. I did a lot better on the actual OAT than all three of the Topscore tests...by at least 20 pts on each section. So, dont worry too much about the scoring on Topscore, just focus on test-taking strategies and getting used to computerized tests. And, a 340 on the topscore is really good bc you will probably do better on the actual test.

If it helps, take the opted.org practice test and use that conversion for that test. Thats the most accurate version of what the test and the scores will be like.

Thanks a lot. I have roughly 4 weeks until test day, so that is reassuring to hear. Thanks again.

I just finished a reading comprehension topscore test and got 33/40..but somehow that correlates to a 300? Am i missing something?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just finished a reading comprehension topscore test and got 33/40..but somehow that correlates to a 300? Am i missing something?

I know this is really old and you have already taken your OAT, but I got a 37 out of 40 on RC and scored a 330. Is that really how the OAT is scored for reading comp?

I know this is really old and you have already taken your OAT, but I got a 37 out of 40 on RC and scored a 330. Is that really how the OAT is scored for reading comp?

That can't be right. The opted exam shows their scale, but it only has an abbreviated RC section. I'd imagine getting 37/40 on RC on the real exam would be at least 370.

You're using TopScore, right? Out of curiosity, what are you getting on the other sections? I'm using TopScore and Kaplan, and my Kaplan scores are significantly higher... but still not where I want to be.

I just looked up compute my score in the Kaplan book. **PLEASE NOTE** This is the 2007-2008 Edition and in this book the RC section is still listed as 50 questions in 60 minutes and now Reading Comprehension is 40 questions/50 minutes. However, it should give a sense of how RC is scored. For example RC 49/50 (lowest score possible to score a 400) 40/50 is a 360 and 30/50 is a 300. If I compare that to QR 41/50 (lowest score possible to score a 400) 40/50 is a 390 and 30/50 is a 340.

Does that not suggest that the RC scoring is graded/computed with more difficulty? It appears to me that to get a high RC score you cannot answer as many questions incorrectly when compared to other subjects.

Just my observations.

That can't be right. The opted exam shows their scale, but it only has an abbreviated RC section. I'd imagine getting 37/40 on RC on the real exam would be at least 370.

You're using TopScore, right? Out of curiosity, what are you getting on the other sections? I'm using TopScore and Kaplan, and my Kaplan scores are significantly higher... but still not where I want to be.

Yeah, I'm using Top Score. I too did better with the Kaplan materials but seem to be struggling with the Top Score. I have been getting around the 330-340's for the other sections but like I said, I am not quite sure how a 37/40 is only a 330.

Also, I have been using this strategy for RC and I'm not sure if its the right one. I know there is no "right or wrong" strategy and you should do what works for you, but I basically do not read the passage. I simply read question 1 and read thru the passage to find the answer. I proceed to do the same with all the remaining questions. In the end I have read the entire passage, but I focus more so on just finding answers. Do you think I'll get burned on the real thing?

Also, I have been using this strategy for RC and I'm not sure if its the right one. I know there is no "right or wrong" strategy and you should do what works for you, but I basically do not read the passage. I simply read question 1 and read thru the passage to find the answer. I proceed to do the same with all the remaining questions. In the end I have read the entire passage, but I focus more so on just finding answers. Do you think I'll get burned on the real thing?

Actually, this is the same thing I do... and I've tried other methods. This is the only way that I can score decently.

But on the main point, reading comprehension is definitely scored differently than the rest of the subjects. I just think that 37/40 being a 330 is a tad extreme.

Be careful by just reading questions and answering them by finding the "answer" in the passage. This strategy will work, but you certainly will have a couple questions that are application based and will require a deeper understanding of the passage. This could be the difference in scoring above 360 in the dreaded RC section. However, I do know many people who have performed extremely well by just reading the questions beforehand. So, it depends on what works for you, and to ensure you do what your confident with on the real test.

Be careful by just reading questions and answering them by finding the "answer" in the passage. This strategy will work, but you certainly will have a couple questions that are application based and will require a deeper understanding of the passage. This could be the difference in scoring above 360 in the dreaded RC section. However, I do know many people who have performed extremely well by just reading the questions beforehand. So, it depends on what works for you, and to ensure you do what your confident with on the real test.

Thank you :thumbup: