Top Score Test 3 Bio #2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WOAHHI

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all - I tried the search function and found a few posts relating to this but none really gave a clear answer. On Top Score Test 3, question 2 in biology asks:

The hydrolysis of ATP from ADP and inorganic phosphate...

a. Can drive cellular work
b. Is an exergonic process
c. Releases free energy from the hydrolysis of ADP
d. Involves the hydrolysis of a disulfide bond
e. Produces two ATP molecules for every four phosphate molecules

-- The answer they say is A.

If this is a typo and it should be hydrolysis of ATP to ADP and Pi then choice A and B should be correct?

If this is a typo and it should say formation of hydrolysis of ATP from ADP then would A still be correct? I think it will not but then now I am doubting myself with the thinking that forming bonds releases energy ... which I guess might be able to drive cellular work? However, I was originally under the impression that ADP synthesis was energy required and ATP hydrolysis was energy released to do work.

Any clarification would be great. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

it is a typo.

Edit: The three phosphates on ATP are very uncomfortable because they all have a negative charge and repel each other, so when one of them leaves thus making ADP, the molecule releases free energy and this energy is used to drive the cellular work. And the opposite is true when the Phosphate is added to ADP, it requires some energy because the final product (ATP) is unstable for the reason mentioned above. Hope this helps.