This Question is from Top Score Test #1 for GChem:

PbO(s) + CO(g) --> Pb(s) + CO2(g)

What is the Oxidizing Agent?

A.PbO
B.CO
C.Pb
D.CO2
E.None of These

I thought B. CO would be because CO --> CO2+ 2e-= Reduced (RIG=Gain) So the Reducing agent would be PbO. PbO is being oxidized (Oil=loss) so CO is the oxidizing agent. The answer is A. What do you guys think?

tom_servo_dds

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
dental#1 said:

A.PbO
B.CO
C.Pb
D.CO2
E.None of These

I thought B. CO would be because CO --> CO2+ 2e-= Reduced (RIG=Gain) So the Reducing agent would be PbO. PbO is being oxidized (Oil=loss) so CO is the oxidizing agent. The answer is A. What do you guys think?

In this problem the C on CO is oxidized from a +2 to a +4. Pb is reduced from a +2 to a 0 (ground state for elements in their natural state). So by analogy, PbO would be the oxidizing agent and CO would be the reducing agent.

Notoriousjae

DAT Rockstar
10+ Year Member
May 23, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
dental#1 said:

A.PbO
B.CO
C.Pb
D.CO2
E.None of These

Pb in PbO(s) has +2 while Pb(s) has an oxidation number of 0 so it is reduced and PbO is the oxidizing agent

About the Ads

Notoriousjae

DAT Rockstar
10+ Year Member
May 23, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
tom_servo_dds said:
DAT date of August 11th here, you freaking out yet too? (I need to get off SDN though - just sucks up the time)

Do you even need to ask? I am in freak out mode 24/7. Normally, I come on SDN when i'm taking a break from studying so i guess it works out. good luck to you on the DAT tom servo, i'm sure you'll kill the test.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.