Top students consider Ortho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msumed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why are the brightest med students attracted to Orthopaedics? Not to say that other great students dont go into other fields obviously, but almost everyone that matched into ortho that I know are considered some of the brightest.

Members don't see this ad.

No matter what they say about orthopedics it is one of the most fascinating and difficult specialties to do. These surgeons do incredible procedures and must be very intelligent due to the very broad scope of diseases they may encounter. The challenge is huge, it's always different, I could go on forever. Love orthopedics so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
chicks digg it of course:laugh:

as said above, orthopaedics is a wonderful specialty with good pay. we do some crazy things that help people function better in their daily lives.

and did i say we were cool as well (ok may be not all of us). it is a very gratifying specialty that will give intant gradification.

i can say that i love my job. (most days):love:

Why are the brightest med students attracted to Orthopaedics? Not to say that other great students dont go into other fields obviously, but almost everyone that matched into ortho that I know are considered some of the brightest.

No no no. You're missing the point.

A ton of people (good and bad) are interested in Ortho, because the surgeries are a blast, the work is incredibly technical and requires high attention to detail, and the people are generally a lot of fun to hang out with.

The large amount of interest is why the "best and brightest" are the only ones who get in. If fewer people were interested, more of the less-than-stellar set would find spots.