Top ten MCATS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

longhorn

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering if you guy would know some of the average MCAT scores to top ten school. There are so many numbers floating around, and some of the schools do not list scores on their website. If anyone has any good places to look post here.

Members don't see this ad.

You can check US News Best Graduate Schools magazine, but the top ten all have averages somewhere between 33-36.

<a href="http://www.personal.kent.edu/~spavlovi/stats.doc" target="_blank">Click here</a> for Relatively Prime's Stat Page :)

You might want to buy a copy of the MSAR (Medical School Admission Requirements) from the AAMC if you are applying now....they have most schools' stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
gotta bump this question into the new forum

You can theoretically get into any top ten school with a 33 MCAT. The average ranges between 33-35 for the top schools.

so I guess the MCAT is a pretty hard exam then?
Is it sat all at once or spread out?
ONe last thing, in difficulty terms how does it compare to the A level system, or GAMSAT?

if I'm coming across ignorant or just plain rant, forgive me because I'm from Britain.:rolleyes:

my only experience of the MCAT is in 'Meet The Parents' - damn good film.:)

hey - i'm familiar with the british o (equiv to our 10th grade) and a (equivelent to a hypothetical 13th grade) levels, and took the mcat. the mcat has 3 sections (physical, verbal, 2 short essays, biology) - the one major difference being that they are all multiple choice. they are also mostly analytically based from reading a passage and responding appropriately. each section is out of 15, and the max score is 45 (3 sections - for 2003) and a writing score. its a challenging test, and getting the highest marks when you write it can be more challenging than top marks in your a-levels. its also like comparing apples to oranges - the a-levels can be pretty difficult too depending on the subject. i imagine you are taking biology, chemistry, and physics as your 3 a-level subjects? make sure you do a lot of outside reading - the verbal section can be challenging for those that aren't use to it. goodluck.
-jot

hey thanks jot, and hi!

I'm at med school already, just making enquiries for my slightly less inquisitive friends, thats all:oops: It sounds more difficult than A level to me looking at the spread of average results.
A levels certainly used to be hard but these days they have got a bit easier - a decent bit of work will get you the grades you need these days. Before it used to be a little bit more hit or miss.
Chemistry was the hardest one I did.
O levels have been replaced by GCSEs now- yuk.

where you based then?

Hey guys,

I know someone that got a 30 (8v, 10P, 12B) that got into Hopkins med.
I tell you, it's a crap shoot...but perhaps this was a freak incident...

hah - i guess my description og the mcat was a bit pretentious if you're already in :) i was remembering the aand o- levels from my days in kenya when my cousins had to take them. they were apprently tough then - but i'veheard the same, they have gotten easier. its a shame though, because it was a strong base for further education (though it was a bit limiting). i'm in philly right now - lived a bit of everywhere but just applying along with the masses. should be interesting.
-jot

Originally posted by raj2002

my only experience of the MCAT is in 'Meet The Parents' - damn good film.:)

Tee Hee, and didn't Ben Stiller get like a 14VR, 15PS and 13BS, and M on the writing section? His score sheet was only shown for a split second, but I remember looking at the score and laughing at how ridiculously high it was, except for the writing :)

SO do you think once you get an interview MCAT/GPA are not all that significant. I assume that after the interview they try to seperate people on other non-quanitative data such as EC, LORs, and the interview. The numbers help to get an interview or seperate candidates who have near equal interviews, but who really cares whether you got a 33 or a 35.