Top Tier Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdquestion

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are my stats: cGPA 3.7, sGPA 3.78
MCAT1: 33S (10P, 12B, 11V, S)
MCAT2: 34T (13 P, 10B, 11V, T)
Good ECs (many very unique) and very positive recs
Clinical experiences both in US (2 Top 5 teaching hospitals, consident volunteer work, HIV clinic counselor) and abroad (6 months in Europe).
4 years research experience (3 undergrad with HHMI fellowship, 1 post-bac)
1 abstract, 1 first-author paper, 2nd first author paper (submitting)
decent essays (i'm a good writer, see my MCAT writing score)

Anyway, I applied to a wide range of schools and have only heard back from a couple of low/mid-tier schools so far...even though I was complete most places in mid-July. I understand it's early....but is my MCAT/GPA deficiency (particularly my 10's in P and B the two times I took them. my uber consistent 36 practice tests weren't able to be repeated) enough that the adcoms at top programs might pass on me. I'm a white male, if that makes any sort of difference. I'm not sure of how the process works, (i.e. med schools select candidates for earlier interviews based upon higher stats, and save lower stat people for later?). I'm pretty sure if I can land some interviews at any top tier school that I'd do well selling myself. As someone who's interested in academic medicine and research, going to a top research school is important for providing opportunities for me to pursue these interests in a well-funded, good research environment...this really isn't a prestige thing.

Any opinions welcome, even if they're a "you're a neurotic prick" haha.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your MCAT is lower than the average at most schools you're probably trying to attend, and your GPA is, too. That said, you're still in the competitive range, and your EC's are fantastic. You'll probably get at least a few bites from the big-name schools. Just be patient, and enjoy what's sure to be a successful cycle.

I'd agree that your research looks fantastic. You have a lot of variety in your clinical experience, but didn't mention any time frames; hopefully your activities extend over the course of a year or more. I don't see physician shadowing mentioned, but perhaps you forgot. That's important too. But what about Leadership (highly desirable at the most selective schools). Do you have additional community service that is not medically related? Teaching is good to have as well.

That said, I hope your list isn't too top heavy. Your comfort zone is below the "Top Twenty," so I hope you have applied to a good number of those. You might get lucky and score interviews at more selective schools if they're intrigued by your research accomplishments, but you need realistic backup plans within your reach.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, my worry as well. I went to a Top 10 LAC with relatively tough grading, but I did have an upward trend.... 3.52 Freshman, 3.50 Sophomore, 3.85 Junior, 3.92 senior with very challenging classes...so I was hoping they'd take that into account when looking at my GPA. I've had a couple of great schools (namely UPitt and a few other places) that have been giving out interview invites to applicants who applied after me...so I've been worried about getting glanced over because my scores aren't above average.

I just checked your backposts to see your list. I think it's a good one.

I'd agree that your research looks fantastic. You have a lot of variety in your clinical experience, but didn't mention any time frames; hopefully your activities extend over the course of a year or more. I don't see physician shadowing mentioned, but perhaps you forgot. That's important too. But what about Leadership (highly desirable at the most selective schools). Do you have additional community service that is not medically related? Teaching is good to have as well.

That said, I hope your list isn't too top heavy. Your comfort zone is below the "Top Twenty," so I hope you have applied to a good number of those. You might get lucky and score interviews at more selective schools if they're intrigued by your research accomplishments, but you need realistic backup plans.

For clinical stuff, I worked 6 months at ER 4 hours/week during undergrad. Past post-bac year for 4 hours/week at a free HIV clinic, and I did a ton of AIDS related volunteer work as a undergrad (that wasn't necessarily medically related- things like ACT UP, AIDS walk, fundraising, etc.). Throughout college I did various externships over breaks in public health and with physicians usually at teaching hospitals. Shadowing...I've done about 8 specialties for a total of about 75 hours, mainly while I studied abroad at a medical school in Europe during my junior year....I talked about this a lot in essays. Most of this was my last two years in college (when I decided I really wanted to do clinical medicine)....so it's probably not as extensive as some...but I'd say the quality of my experiences make up for any lack of quantity.

For teaching, I was a biology/chemistry TA for two years (department coordinator for one year). I also taught my own self-designed class on medical anthropology (which I got funding from through an HHMI grant)...which I guess can be counted as leadership...cause I also advised my students on medical careers and organized health-related field trips for them. As a freshman I was on student government council, and all four years of college I worked in our admissions department as a tour guide and interviewer (I still do as an alum). I also did two years as a Residential Advisor....one year with all international and study abroad (visiting) students, which was a pretty cool experience.

I applied to 22 schools....1/2 mid/low-tier and 1/2 top tier. I have 5 interviews from my low-tier list so far, and none from the top tier. I think my ECs are decent, I'm more worried they won't open my app to look at them because my scores aren't above average.

Last edited:
I am reassured that your ECs are more-than-solid across the board. Having five interviews already is terrific. Good Luck attracting the attention of a 'dream school.'

I am reassured that your ECs are more-than-solid across the board. Having five interviews already is terrific. Good Luck attracting the attention of a 'dream school.'

Thanks! Do they usually give borderline candidates like myself later interviews? I'm just worried if they don't bite now, that they won't go back to my app later.

Adcomms tend to "cherry pick" their favorite candidates first. Eventually they'll get to the second and third pile of applications. Recall that interview season goes into May at some schools. It's way premature to stress out this early in the game about "what ifs". If you don't hear anything by the end of fall term, you'll send out Update Letters about fall grades, newly acquired hours in various ECs, and why that school is perfect for you and how you'd love to get an interview invitation.

Adcomms tend to "cherry pick" their favorite candidates first. Eventually they'll get to the second and third pile of applications. Recall that interview season goes into May at some schools. It's way premature to stress out this early in the game about "what ifs". If you don't hear anything by the end of fall term, you'll send out Update Letters about fall grades, newly acquired hours in various ECs, and why that school is perfect for you and how you'd love to get an interview invitation.

Exactly. You'll be fine. Just wait it out. My stats are similar (albeit my MCAT is a little better) and we applied to practically the same schools.

Obviously, you're an awesome candidate. I think that what's probably hurting you is the MCAT score. A lot of the top schools don't do rolling admissions so they wait until they have a pretty substantial batch of secondaries before sending out interview invites and they don't necessarily invite in order of MCAT's but they do often look at you in order of MCAT's. Being an early applicant isn't as important at non-rolling top schools. However, I do think you'll be considered by quite a few of these schools. If you're going to add more top schools, I'd advise you to do it this weekend. Hope this helps.

Obviously, you're an awesome candidate. I think that what's probably hurting you is the MCAT score. A lot of the top schools don't do rolling admissions so they wait until they have a pretty substantial batch of secondaries before sending out interview invites and they don't necessarily invite in order of MCAT's but they do often look at you in order of MCAT's. Being an early applicant isn't as important at non-rolling top schools. However, I do think you'll be considered by quite a few of these schools. If you're going to add more top schools, I'd advise you to do it this weekend. Hope this helps.

Thanks...I'd just like the chance in an interview situation to give my case. I usually interview well (I have a pretty friendly, calm personality)...and after giving countless interviews to high school students at my college I know what it's like from both the perspective of interviewee and interviewer.

Still no more invites (although no rejections), I'm just worried they're gonna pass on my app because of my MCAT score inconsistencies. Frustrating. Thanks for the comments/neurotic vent space.