Topics and questions to discuss when meeting with a DO.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

codeguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live in a small town that has only 2 practicing DO's. One is in pain management and the other is a Cardiologist.

I have contacted both and will be meeting with the cardiologist later this week to discuss Osteopathic medicine.

In preparing for this meeting I have been writing down questions and topics I would like to discuss.

I am looking for input on topics and questions.

Specifically, what questions and topics did you find valueable when shadowing/meeting DO's?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Ask the typical....

Did you ever feel discriminated against as a DO?
Ask that if he/she has any suggestions to someone that's new in the application process.
Seeing that there's only a couple of D.O. docs, do they get inendated with other students asking for letter's of recommendation?
If they are in private practice, ask if how much patients they get.

There's more.... Maybe I'll come back if anything else comes up.... :D

How about....

How much OMM do you use in your practice, if you use it at all?

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's some info from an old post I found helpful ...Thanks to JPHazelton:

"Here are a few questions you may want to ask:
1. What is it that drew YOU to Osteopathic Medicine?
2. How often, or if at all, do you use manual medicine (OMM) in your practice?
3. How do you feel the Osteopathic philosphy has benefitied you and your patients?
4. How are you received by your patients, particularly the ones who are not familiar with what a D.O. is?
5. Have you seen a positive trend in patient education concerning Osteopathic Medicine?
6. What do you see as the future of Osteopathic Medicine?
7. How do you consider yourself different from an MD, if you do consider yourself different at all?
8. What is the strongest aspect of Osteopathic medicine that appeals to patients?
9. Would you mind spending more time with me, maybe during a lunch break, so that I could discuss my future and interest in Osteopathic Medicine more with you?
10. Do you feel that you could write me a strong letter of recommendation? (save this one for later)
My advice...enjoy the experience. Have fun with it...I did."

How do the techniques of OMM differ from the manipulative practices of chiropractors?

your two examples are of DO's who are not in primary care, which is a field that has been popular for DO's.
Ask if being a DO hindered their progress in any way toward those specialties.

Ask them if their patients generally know the difference between MDs and DOs.