Topics to touch on for my person statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rvting

Reaction score
The topics I have right now for my PS are:
  • Basic reasons why I want to enter dental school, referencing my own dental problems, dentists who are family friends and volunteer locations.
  • Mixed race- thinking that even though I'm technically not a URM I could wiggle in how my diversity helps me understand diverse patients.
  • Explaining my early college experiences.
  • Family medical issues that held me back +a quick line about covid.
  • Showing my progress in my GPA due to it being low.
My PS flows from early life to now. What should I remove? Or what weights should I put on these topics? I'm at a 4500 limit, I can't add more detail where I need to. My advisor liked my original draft but some non-advisors tore it up.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The topics I have right now for my PS are:
  • Basic reasons why I want to enter dental school, referencing my own dental problems, dentists who are family friends and volunteer locations.
  • Mixed race- thinking that even though I'm technically not a URM I could wiggle in how my diversity helps me understand diverse patients.
  • Explaining my early college experiences.
  • Family medical issues that held me back +a quick line about covid.
  • Showing my progress in my GPA due to it being low.
My PS flows from early life to now. What should I remove? Or what weights should I put on these topics? I'm at a 4500 limit, I can't add more detail where I need to. My advisor liked my original draft but some non-advisors tore it up.
the prompt is: why dentistry?

Reactions: 1 users
the prompt is: why dentistry?
yeah, I caught onto that...

I made sure to emphasize my interest of dentistry through the text explaining how these topics influenced me in one way or another. Like shadowing a dentist during early college. I'm in the process of removing the mixed race bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just wouldn’t try to overthink it too much. Schools want to see that you’re passionate about dentistry and that you’ve put substantial thought into the decision. Showcase that through your writing, activities, and school work.

The personal statement is just one brick in the building. Yes it’s important but there’s other factors into it. Get as many people to give you feedback and get it done as soon as possible. That and LORs is what I thought took the longest. Everything else is just filling out information

There are many ways to write a personal statement, but for God's sake, don't go chronologically from the day you decided you wanted to be a doctor/dentist to the present.

If you have a true passion for dentistry, you should have no problem having enough material to write 3 (at least) different personal essays showing your most important values and competencies as a future dentist from your observations seeing the dentist-patient relationship. Show us why your distance travels matters to your practice.

Then good luck with Casper if applicable to your list.

Really good personal statements tell a story about a few small events (no more than 3) that had big implications. The story highlights your strongest character traits and there’s reason to believe that the applicant wants to and is ready to become a dentist.

Don’t tell them that your GPA improved, they can see that on your transcript. Tell a story that demonstrates growth and supports what they see on paper.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user