May 17, 2011
Status
Exam 1 question 3 (73) says that there are 2 singlets in answer b. Can anyone please explain. The answer is not helping me.
Thanks

Last edited:
About the Ads

rmm30

7+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
yes post it don worry...No one here is gonna snitch on you...
They might...there are some real low lives on this forum. I've been cruising it for almost a year and have witnessed at least a half dozen tattletails. Nobody likes tattletails!

Apr 9, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Draw it out and reword it as your own question with the purpose of understanding it better, then post the screenshot.

Dusk

5+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2010
Status
Dental Student
I'm reviving this thread. Help me out please! The answer states that there are two singlets in:

B. 1,4-Dimethoxybenzene

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1,4-Dimethoxybenzene

But wouldn't there also be two singlets in another answer choice:
D. Acetone ?

Wouldn't acetone give 2 singlets as well? Or is it because there's symmetry, so only one H singlet is shown since they overlap? And 1,4 dimethoxybenzene shows two singlets because one from the aromatic H and one from the methoxy H? The other methoxy H and aromatic H's are equivalent so would just overlap, leading to only two visible singlets? Am I correct? :idea:

Jul 22, 2010
Status
Wouldn't acetone give 2 singlets as well? Or is it because there's symmetry, so only one H singlet is shown since they overlap? And 1,4 dimethoxybenzene shows two singlets because one from the aromatic H and one from the methoxy H? The other methoxy H and aromatic H's are equivalent so would just overlap, leading to only two visible singlets? Am I correct? :idea:
Yup, acetone should give only one singlet I think. All 6 H's are equivalent.

I think your reasoning is correct for 1,4-dmb as well.

About the Ads