Topscore

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ibo man

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been studing hard for the past 2 months,and am only scoring 14 on Gchem, 14 Ochem and 17 on biology. I'm kind of disappointed with my score. What kind of scores are you guys getting,and what am I doing wrong. Help

Members don't see this ad.

is this the top score cd score?
I heard that their tests are lightly harder and people tend to score lower.
Have you tried kaplan material?
T

Ibo Man,
Don't worry too much. I was getting 17 and 18's on the Top Score CD a week before I took the DAT but I got 22 and 23's on the actual DAT. Relax, I am sure you know a lot more than you think you do. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I also was scoring really low a week before the DAT and I did really well when I took it... so don't worrry too much.. also, just in case you don't know.. if you "mark" a question and don' "unmark" it, then it counts as an unanswered question... :D

This is such a relief! On the paper tests I was generally getting 20's. Topscore gave me some measly 16s and 17s on science. After all the studying I've done!

On the upside, I took a reading comp test, scored a 29 and decided it was one less thing I had to spend hours on. For that it was worth it! :D

The gen chem section is way harder on topscore than on the DAT. topscore pretty much expects you to have memorized very specific equations and is much more difficult. and the o chem reactions are much more dificult. i scored 8 points higher on the DAT gen chem than on my highest topscore gen chem score, and 9 points higher in o chem! dont get discouraged!

I used Topscore seriously for about a month before my actual DAT (it was really funny, retrospectivly, how i hoarded the "fresh" practice tests) Anyway, after using Topscore, going through every single wrong answer and painstakingly looking them up - the actual DAT seemed easy (well, minus the major stress factor). I think the reading section on the real thing should be more technical than TopScore's practice ones - but liek you said it's still a really good spot to pad your overall score. Otherwise, I agree with the general consencous that the science - esp. the O-chem - is more challenging on Topscore. Good Luck!!! :cool:

Hi Ibo man,

I am with you totally. I got about the same score as yours. I got discouraged from time to time. Glad to know that I am not the only one who felt left out...hihihi. Keep up the good work. Back to study now.

thank Y'all for the advice that you guys are giving me. I will keep you guys posted on how my studying thing is going. My gpa is not good at all but some school told me to score 18 or above in all the sections on the dat, that I will have a pretty good shot on getting accepted. thanks again for making this the best predent site in the country.

Hi ya!

DAT books (such as kaplan) are not the only books you can study from. There are many study guide on specific subjects. I was weak on organic chemistry, chemistry, and biology. So I went to the book store to purchase study guide on these subjects. The best thing about the study guide is that there are numerous multiple choice practice question in the end of each section. It is the best way you find out if you actually learn that chapter you just studied. It helped me a lot and I am sure it will help you a lot too!

Hide in the library or coffee shop few hours a day and do some intensive studying.....and relax for the rest of the day....you can remember things a lot better if you review all the time.

I used topscore only at the very end, 1 week to 2 before my actually DAT, just to familiarize myself with the test format.

Good Luck guys!! :)

Just my 2 cents

Happy

Hey you guys,

I kind of use a different approach with my TopScore Scholarware DAT CD. We all know that there are 3 full length mock DAT on the CD right, well, this is how I used it.

What I did was not the traditional way of using the CD as a diagnostic tool to see where I am with the DAT, instead, after I studied my ass off with the Kaplan DAT materials with a week left before my actual DAT, I printed all three of the TopScore CD DAT exams out on paper (particularily the Chemistry and the Organic sections since those were my weaker subjects) with their specific answer sheets.

With the exams (6 total - 3 chemistry and 3 organic chemistry) in front of me and their answers, I went through every single questions and answered why the wrong choices were wrong and why the correct answer was correct. At the end of this process, the 3 TopScore General Chemistry and 3 TopScore Organic Chemistry exams turned into 6 review packets with questions and answers.

I didn't use the quantitative, PAT, Biology, or the reading portions of the TopScore CD because I knew I could do well on those.

Bottom line, instead of using the TopScore CD as a diagnostic tool, I used it as a study guide (sort of like having old exams in a class that you use to study for a current exam). I found it extremely helpful.

For example: (this is a sample question, NOT a real Topscore or DAT questionaire)

Question: What endocrine gland produces the hormone Glucagon?

A) Thyroid
B) Anterior Pituatary
C) Posterior Pituatary
D) Pancreas
E) Adrenal Gland

For this question, I would go through all the choices and list all the hormones produced in each endocrine organ/gland in my head and write them down. After a process of elimination, you'll find that answer (D) is the answer! The key here is, if you the correct answer, then GREAT!! But do you know "WHY" the incorrect answers are wrong?!

I don't know, I do things kind of weird, but I find this studying method extremely helpful. Another DAT studying advice, find your subject strengths and weaknesses. There are SIX big sections on the DAT:

Reading
Math
PAT
Organic
Gen. Chem.
Biology

If you're good in two, spend more time on the other 4, ya know what I'm saying?

For the Topscore CD, instead of taking the mock DATs on there, try using it as a stuying tool, a guide, and an "old exam". You have the answers, use it and find out why those answers are correct and why the wrong answers are wrong! If you don't know the answers to why the choices are wrong or why they're right, then reference the Kaplan DAT Science Review Book and other reference text books!!

I find it extremely helpful studying this way with the Topscore CD "AFTER" I studied the Kaplan DAT Science Review Book. I read every single pages in that thick Kaplan book and plus I took notes for every chapter in the Biology, Gen. Chem., and the Organic Chem. sections! For very chapter in those science sections, I had a full page hand written notes highlighting all important enzymes, organs, names, reactions, and/or other key bolded text!

In my opinion, if you know the Kaplan DAT book front and back cold for the science sections, you'll get 20s on the actual DAT.

Wow, what a long ass response! Hope this helps, it's just my approach with the Topscore CD.

:cool:

hazelmei said:
I also was scoring really low a week before the DAT and I did really well when I took it... so don't worrry too much.. also, just in case you don't know.. if you "mark" a question and don' "unmark" it, then it counts as an unanswered question... :D

is this true?

I used Topscore and agree with what's been said, but one thing that needs to be addressed is that the PAT section on topscore is a little easier then the real thing. I was getting 23's and ended up with a 19. I've talked to others who said the same thing.

hazelmei said:

WoW, thanks for sharing this info, I'll have to make sure I go back in each section even if I am running out of time. Once again, thanks so much!