Torn ACL: Hamstring or Patella Tendon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JPJ13

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I tore my ACL and medial meniscus after my second year of medical school and did my third year rotations using a brace. I want to get it fixed duirng my fourth year, before residency starts. What does the current research say about the best way to repair an ACL for active individuals. My local ortho doc says that if I was a college football player he would recommend using the patella but since I am just and active average joe he wants to use the hamstring. If the patella is good enough for a college player why isn't it good enough for me, is there something I am missing here? Any links would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

So I tore my ACL and medial meniscus after my second year of medical school and did my third year rotations using a brace. I want to get it fixed duirng my fourth year, before residency starts. What does the current research say about the best way to repair an ACL for active individuals. My local ortho doc says that if I was a college football player he would recommend using the patella but since I am just and active average joe he wants to use the hamstring. If the patella is good enough for a college player why isn't it good enough for me, is there something I am missing here? Any links would be appreciated.

fail

first of all, i don't think this forum should serve as your personal source for medical advice. anyway, it has to do with healing time and pain post surgery. hamstring will have a longer postop healing time while patellar heals faster. patellar tendon removal is also potentially more painful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lets not forget cadaver tibialis anterior tendon...good results and a good post-operative course (no harvest site pain). All are good tissues, and its unlikely you would notice the difference.

But yeah, not the place for medical advice. That being said, when you literature search, its important and difficult to remain objective, large double blind RCTs are really the way to go and it takes time to become saavy at critically analyzing these, and you will notice that the differences found (if any) in these trials are very small.

This is not medical, but personal advice. I tore my ACL in my left knee twice while playing football in college. The first time i had a Patella graft and second time i had the hamstring graft. I thought the recovery from the hamstring graft was much quicker, less painful and my knee felt much more stable sooner than with the patella. I was able to progress quicker in my rehab with the hamstring in terms of ROM, strength and muscle size. I would suggest going with the hamstring graft, talk to your surgeon if he is older it is more likely he will want to use the patella.

If you have any questions about the rehab process feel free to PM me.

Why dont you look up the latest research on JBJS and make your own decision OR let your surgeon decide. You went to him for a reason.