Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Tornado Does $20 Million In Damage At K-State

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by nhsvs, Jun 13, 2008.

1. nhsvs

2+ Year Member

A four block wide EF-3 tornado packing 200 mph winds cut a swath right through the middle of the campus at Kansas State University on Wednesday night. Damage to the campus is estimated in excess of $20 million, although university officials say that everything will be restored by mid-August. Evidently, the tornado missed the vet school and the adjacent biosecurity institute. No injuries, fortunately. Here's a link to an amazing video from a live television newscast as it happened. Apparently, the television station had a live feed to a rooftop camera on K-State's campus. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVtsI60ZqJE

2. RazorDoc2010

RazorDoc2010 Mizzou 2011
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    good to hear there were no injuries. Looked like a doozy...thanks for posting the vid!

3. NoleDevil

NoleDevil Iowa State CVM c/o 2012
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Wow. That does not make me look forward to move to tornado alley! Thankfully the flooding situation in Iowa hasn't affected ISU. *knocks on wood*

4. adOggy07

adOggy07 KSU CVM C/O 2012
    10+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    wow! thats kind of scary!

anyone know how many tornados are seen in Manhattan, KS every year? :scared:

5. twelvetigers

twelvetigers stabby cat
    Veterinarian 10+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    There's not going to be one every year. Probably more like one every 10-20 years. No reason to freak out!

6. nhsvs

2+ Year Member

The good news: Prior to the recent tornado, the last tornado to hit Manhattan, KS was in the 1960s. The bad news: Kansas averages more than 50 tornado touch downs annually and they are very random. The next tornado that hits Manhattan might be another 4 decades from now . . . or next week. I know people who have lived in Kansas all their lives and have never seen one.

7. twelvetigers

twelvetigers stabby cat

Veterinarian
    I've lived in Oklahoma for all my life and I've seen one tornado from a great distance. Trust me, it's nothing to live in fear of. Just know what you would do if the sirens went off, and have a few things on hand in case you ever had something real to worry about.

8. adOggy07

10+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Thanks for the info guys! That definitely reassures me.

Sounds a lot like earthquakes in California... =P

My only concern is that I'm going to be living in apartment complexes most of my time there... and if they don't provide tornado shelters... are there others near by that I could go to? And what about my pets? Do they let you bring your animals?

I couldn't imagine leaving my dog and cats in my apartment while I run away to a tornado shelter. :scared:

9. twelvetigers

twelvetigers stabby cat

Veterinarian
    Ususally there's somewhere on the bottom floor to go to. Most places have some sort of tornado "plan" in place. I would bring my animals no matter what they say, haha. I guess have a cat carrier around and if your dogs are friendly, I'm not sure who would complain. I've always lived in a house. All I know is first floor (or basement if possible) away from windows, possibly an interior room. In school when we had tornado drills, we would just go out into the hallway and crouch along the walls with our hands over our heads. It seemed similar to those nuclear bomb drills during the Cold War would have been: going under my desk is supposed to save me from WHAT?

Really though - I bet you your vet school tuition that no tornados come ripping through your condo while you live in Kansas.

Luckily, you don't know who I am and can't find me to collect anyway ;) but seriously... just have a plan, and then don't worry about it.

Oh, and for anyone moving from a non-tornado state to the midwest/south area, we do have tornado sirens in all residential areas, and they generally test them once a week or once a month at the same time, IF the weather is clear. It should be obvious to you that there is no tornado looming. So don't freak out. :)

10. alliecat44

alliecat44 KSU CVM Class of '11
    Moderator Emeritus Veterinarian 5+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Not much time, but here you go:

In Manhattan, tornado sirens are tested once a month. (I believe at noon on the first Monday of the month.) You can hear them in residentail areas, though some places are quieter than others.

In case of an actual emergency, they sound the sirens with as much warning as possible. For instance, for this tornado, they began sounding the sirens when the tornado was spotted in Junction City, approx. 30 miles away.

At KSU, the vet school's basement serves as a tornado shelter. You can (and people do) bring any and all pets you have with you.

Hope that helps.

11. twelvetigers

twelvetigers stabby cat

Veterinarian
    I snickered at the mental picture of someone sloshing their way inside with a fishbowl in their hands. Hey, I bet it happens!

12. adOggy07

10+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    haha! that would be awesome. :D

13. adOggy07

10+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Thanks Allison! I'm glad to know there's a place I can bring my pets...

I mean.. I guess if it were a life and death situation where it was either my dog or another person, that's the only case where I could see myself okay with leaving my dog. Even then... eek. It's too horrible to imagine!

14. alliecat44

Veterinarian
    No problem! Sorry I've been sort of AWOL lately--things have been crazy busy with my new roommate getting settled and everything. :) But hope that eases your mind!

15. ferretcrazy

ferretcrazy AVC Class of 2012

Veterinary Student
    My sister's a resident at KSU and I was on the phone with her when the sirens went off. She and her roommate live on the top floor of a house with no interior rooms so they packed up their cats and headed over to the vet school. I would just make sure you have a carrier that you can toss everyone into and not be too overburdened walking with. My sister's two large boys were on top of each other in a soft sided carrier totalling 30 lbs but it was easier than trying to juggle two separate carriers.

16. alliecat44

Veterinarian
    ferretcrazy, does your sister happen to be a surgical resident? :) Small world!

17. ferretcrazy

ferretcrazy AVC Class of 2012

Veterinary Student
    That she does, she's just finishing up her last few months of surgery.

18. alliecat44

Veterinarian
    Awesome! I know her. She's wonderful--you should be very proud. :)