total credits taken per year in dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

issa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys
are the total credits per year is 32 credits or 60 credits? or how many?

Members don't see this ad.

issa said:
hey guys

32 credits per year? Let's see... at that rate dental school would last about... oh... 11 years. :laugh:

We typically have about 30 or so credits per semester. Three semesters per year.

Members don't see this ad :)
We take 24-25 credits (8-11 classes) each semester.

issa said:
hey guys
You don't even tell us which school you're talking about....?

Just finnished my first semester at Case with 26 credits down :D

BU is a little different compared to the other responses.

Our 1st year totals 32.5 credits.

Biochemistry is a 1st semester course, 88 hours of lecture...2 credits.
A class like dental anatomy has 38 lecture hours, yet only 1 credit is given.

Credits is just a number. It took me some time to adjusts, but I learn to roll with it. Virtually everyone gets through D-school alive.

32 credit hours a year? We call that undergrad. ;)

I think my lightest semester class load has been 24 credit hours (D1 autumn) and the heaviest 31 (spring D2). D3 has been toward the low end of that. Like Thaxil said, you'll have plenty to keep you busy.

What does "credit" mean anyway? It's not like "hours" right? I'm just looking for a point of comparison....otherwise it makes no sense.

toofache32 said:
What does "credit" mean anyway? It's not like "hours" right? I'm just looking for a point of comparison....otherwise it makes no sense.

You are right, it makes no sense.

We actually received a spreadsheet that indicated the credit hours taken so far this semester and it added up to something like 40.4 credit hours. Some classes were pass fail, but most were graded classes... it seems unbelievable.... :eek:

wimmcs said:
We actually received a spreadsheet that indicated the credit hours taken so far this semester and it added up to something like 40.4 credit hours. Some classes were pass fail, but most were graded classes... it seems unbelievable.... :eek:
PLEASE tell me what 40 credit hours means. Does that mean 40 hours of lecture per week? Seriously.

toofache32 said:
PLEASE tell me what 40 credit hours means. Does that mean 40 hours of lecture per week? Seriously.

Every school regards a "credit" as something different. Thats why its basically pointless to compare credits between schools.

Im taking about 14 credits this semester, yet, I was in class about 30 hours per week.

toofache32 said:

Credits are a part of university level accreditation, especially with regards to reciprocity and articulation agreements between universities. (ie Transfer students) I am not sure how schools on a quarter system function. In a semester system to receive one credit hour requires that forty-eight hours be dedicated to the subject. This can be done in one of four ways.

1. Sixteen hours of lecture material. There is supposed to be two hours of work outside of class for each hour spent in lecture. I assume that many have heard this number quoted by professors especially in undergrad. We also all know that few individuals adhere strictly to this rule. (Thus 16 + 16 x 2 = 48 hours.)

2. Thirty-two hours of seminar. There is supposed to be one hour of work outside of class for each two hours spent in seminar. (Thus 32 + 32 x .5 = 48 hours.)

3. Forty-eight hours of lab or clinical experience. (Thus 48 = 48 hours)

4. Any combination of the above that adds up to forty-eight hours.

I hope that helps!

Tarheel said:
Credits are a part of university level accreditation, especially with regards to reciprocity and articulation agreements between universities. (ie Transfer students) I am not sure how schools on a quarter system function. In a semester system to receive one credit hour requires that forty-eight hours be dedicated to the subject. This can be done in one of four ways.

1. Sixteen hours of lecture material. There is supposed to be two hours of work outside of class for each hour spent in lecture. I assume that many have heard this number quoted by professors especially in undergrad. We also all know that few individuals adhere strictly to this rule. (Thus 16 + 16 x 2 = 48 hours.)

2. Thirty-two hours of seminar. There is supposed to be one hour of work outside of class for each two hours spent in seminar. (Thus 32 + 32 x .5 = 48 hours.)

3. Forty-eight hours of lab or clinical experience. (Thus 48 = 48 hours)

4. Any combination of the above that adds up to forty-eight hours.

I hope that helps!

I dont think this system applies to all schools. Take ASDOH...40.4 credit hours this semester. That would mean that they were in class about 19 hours a day over the course of the semester. Pretty impressive if true.

Rezdawg said:
I dont think this system applies to all schools. Take ASDOH...40.4 credit hours this semester. That would mean that they were in class about 19 hours a day over the course of the semester. Pretty impressive if true.

I think I mentioned some of them were pass/fail classes, so in looking more closely, we took around 32 cr. hrs of actual classes and the rest were pass/fail courses. We are in class from 8-5 M-F. There are times we are off earlier and many times where we work in group case studies until way past 5-6pm. Most "modules" (classes) last anywhere between 1 to 3 weeks. For instance, this week is our female reproductive module that we started at 1pm on Monday after finishing a renal final on Monday morning. We have a quiz every day and a final on Friday, so we are pretty busy all week. We also have several case studies to work in between and they are not the easiest case studies, so it's a tough week. Since we cover so much material on a daily basis, it's almost a must to read at least some every night in order to keep up. It is an intense first semester, but the pay off is that we get done w/boards earlier. I also like the approach of concentrating on ONE class at a time, instead of many at the same time. Hopefully this makes more sense.