Would you accept the HPSP scholarship with 250k total debt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HighlyOptimistic

Reaction score
Hi yall, I am an incoming D1 student and possibly looking into applying for the HPSP scholarship in 2024. I read many forums on SDN and cannot decide if I should apply for the scholarship or not. Based on my calculation, I will have around 200k - 250k total student debt (before interest) after 4 years of school. Would you take the HPSP scholarship with a 200-250k total student debt? Or would you just take on the loan yourself?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just another incoming D1 so I don't know much more than you. But, 250k sounds like it's on the lower end relative to the debt I've heard other dental students take on. 250k is totally manageable on your own if you take it seriously. Do you care about the opportunities HPSP offers? Do you want to serve? Or are you only interested in the money-saving aspect of HPSP?

Reactions: 1 user
No, I would not accept it if I was only going $250k in debt. $500k+ yes.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The military does provide you options. You’ll have access to really good residency programs. Not all residencies are good. People consistently tell me that the military’s are phenomenal. There are other benefits such as GI bill, military discounts, etc. you could always have the option of staying in and making a career. For me, that much debt would not justify taking the scholarship. You would need to include other factors that would inspire you to join.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi yall, I am an incoming D1 student and possibly looking into applying for the HPSP scholarship in 2024. I read many forums on SDN and cannot decide if I should apply for the scholarship or not. Based on my calculation, I will have around 200k - 250k total student debt (before interest) after 4 years of school. Would you take the HPSP scholarship with a 200-250k total student debt? Or would you just take on the loan yourself?
I would still apply.. You can turn it down later if you decide not to join.

I would still apply.. You can turn it down later if you decide not to join.
I would only apply if you see yourself going down the military route for dentistry or would consider it. It seems like most people that do HPSP are pretty positive about their experience. If OP is interested in the Navy and dentistry, it would be a good idea to reach out to some people to see what their experiences were like.

But if you are only doing it for the free education, then I wouldn't do it.

Did you include cost of living in your calculation?

I would only apply if you see yourself going down the military route for dentistry or would consider it. It seems like most people that do HPSP are pretty positive about their experience. If OP is interested in the Navy and dentistry, it would be a good idea to reach out to some people to see what their experiences were like.

But if you are only doing it for the free education, then I wouldn't do it.
I mean anyone who says that money was not their main motivation would be lying. 99% of dental students don't have prior military experience so how would they know what navy dentistry would be like. Your experience in the military will depend on many factors such as location, higher-ups, co-workers, unit's mission/operations, etc at that time. Some will have a good experience while others don't.

Also most people do separate after their initial obligation has been fulfilled.

Last edited:
If you're an incoming D1 and are looking for a 3 year HPSP scholarship, you should start the process now. You can always turn it down once you're accepted, but if you apply late - you won't get the 3 year HPSP option at all.

I'm just another incoming D1 so I don't know much more than you. But, 250k sounds like it's on the lower end relative to the debt I've heard other dental students take on. 250k is totally manageable on your own if you take it seriously. Do you care about the opportunities HPSP offers? Do you want to serve? Or are you only interested in the money-saving aspect of HPSP?
I personally am only interested in the money-saving aspect of HPSP. I am aware of the many benefits of military dentistry but also cautious of the many red tapes and lifestyle sacrifices involved with HPSP.

I mean anyone who says that money was not their main motivation would be lying. 99% of dental students don't have prior military experience so how would they know what navy dentistry would be like. Your experience in the military will depend on many factors such as location, higher-ups, co-workers, unit's mission/operations, etc at that time. Some will have a good experience while others don't.

Also most people do separate after their initial obligation has been fulfilled.
Thank you for your insights! I am mostly interested in HPSP for loan forgiveness. 250K student debt is very scary for me as someone fresh out of undergraduate.